USMNT

monk10

Golden Gopher
Reaction score
I watched. Nice goal at the end, and I still get nervous with Bradly's defense playing 6, but I like the way he starts things from that spot.

bemidjigopher

Banned
Reaction score
They looked good last night. Klinsmann has some nice young talent in the wings. Hopfully a decent showing at Copa America will calm the naysayers

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
How far do they have to go in the Copa at home for Klinsmann to feel secure with his job?

monk10

Golden Gopher
Reaction score
I have no idea. I thought Bradley lasted a long time, and I think he only got moved b/c they finally got Klinsmann. They would need a higher profile name or a complete dumpster fire situation.

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
How far do they have to go in the Copa at home for Klinsmann to feel secure with his job?
If they get out of the group, Klinsmann is safe for the World Cup. I think this simply because we're not beating Brazil in the first knockout round (Yes, I'm assuming we finish 2nd in the group behind Columbia). If they somehow finish 3rd (disaster) in this group then he's gone.

I think it's time to throw the young guys into the fire. I'd start Pulisic, Nagbe, Yedlin, and Wood in a 4-3-3 and let them loose. At least for the Paraguay and Costa Rica game. Start the old, boring, defensive minded guys against Columbia.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
If they get out of the group, Klinsmann is safe for the World Cup. I think this simply because we're not beating Brazil in the first knockout round (Yes, I'm assuming we finish 2nd in the group behind Columbia). If they somehow finish 3rd (disaster) in this group then he's gone.

I think it's time to throw the young guys into the fire. I'd start Pulisic, Nagbe, Yedlin, and Wood in a 4-3-3 and let them loose. At least for the Paraguay and Costa Rica game. Start the old, boring, defensive minded guys against Columbia.
Agree with everything here. I'm optimistic they will make it out of the group but I also think they lose in the first knock out round, but that will be enough to keep klinsman in place until the WC. If they don't have a strong showing in the WC he is gone. I am excited about the young guys though, seem to be upgrades at multiple positions.

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
I'm gonna do a 180 and say we get a draw tonight.

monk10

Golden Gopher
Reaction score
I wish I could get my 2 hours back :(.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Big disappointment. Couple good chances and that was it. US players are such nervous nancy's when they are pressured on the ball. Until that changes we are bound to mediocrity. Also, we were horrible on set pieces last night. Everything about them was bad, our runs, the balls in, and our defense. Use to be one of our strengths so not sure what happened there...

Winasota Gopher

Deep Insider
Reaction score
Do you guys follow epl?

Not a lot of soccer fans in my neck of the woods.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Do you guys follow epl?

Not a lot of soccer fans in my neck of the woods.
I use to, I've moved away from it to get more into MLS and still prefer national team tournaments to anything else. Hopefully MN will get their MLS team and then I can stop paying attention to the twins for good.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Sorry, wrong thread. I thought this had something to do with the U.S. Mint. [emoji383] [emoji385]

My bad. Carry on with whatever this thread is about.

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
Costa Rica vs. Paraguay tie was pretty much the perfect result for us.

Plus one of Costa Rica's better players will miss the game against us because of a stupid red card in stoppage time.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Costa Rica vs. Paraguay tie was pretty much the perfect result for us.

Plus one of Costa Rica's better players will miss the game against us because of a stupid red card in stoppage time.
Yep, take care of business and we can make it out of the group easy. Costa Rica is sneaky good though so they better bring a better game than they did against Columbia.

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
Yep, take care of business and we can make it out of the group easy. Costa Rica is sneaky good though so they better bring a better game than they did against Columbia.
Also, I didn't realize that Brazil tied Ecuador. If we do make it out, hopefully Ecuador or Peru wins group B so we can avoid Brazil.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Also, I didn't realize that Brazil tied Ecuador. If we do make it out, hopefully Ecuador or Peru wins group B so we can avoid Brazil.
Yeah I feel like that is a lot to hope. Brazil could still easily win the group although it is harder to do now. I'm more worried about us taking care of business and playing like the team from last year that went to Europe and surprised people. Haven't seen that recently. Costa Rica was a fun team to watch in the 2014 WC so I'm keeping my hopes tempered.

Anybody watch the Mexico vs Uruguay game last night? That game was crazy

bemidjigopher

Banned
Reaction score
Agreed, but we usually handle them stateside it's when we have to go down to Costa Rica that we have problems, seems like we've had more success in Mexico than we've had their

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
So it looks like a draw with Paraguay will get us through unless Costa Rica beats Columbia by some ridiculous number of goals.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
So it looks like a draw with Paraguay will get us through unless Costa Rica beats Columbia by some ridiculous number of goals.
Yep great outcome last night! Very good chance of advancing now. Columbia made paraguay look pretty easy last night, hopefully we can do the same.

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Yedlin with back-to-back yellow cards in about 15 seconds.

USA up 1-0 over Paraguay in the 48th minute.

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
Holy crap, CONCABros is alive and well. Thanks Costa Rica! Good news is we likely avoid Brazil. Bad news. Now we're on the same side of the bracket as Messi.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, CONCABros is alive and well. Thanks Costa Rica! Good news is we likely avoid Brazil. Bad news. Now we're on the same side of the bracket as Messi.
I hope we can get through Ecuador without getting too many cards so we are at full strength for the round. Maybe I just got ahead of myself...

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
I hope we can get through Ecuador without getting too many cards so we are at full strength for the round. Maybe I just got ahead of myself...
I hope Messi doesn't tire our midfield out so we can be fully rested for the final.

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Every avoids Brazil.

I wonder if the manager will make through the week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom