U.S. Senate votes 55-45 to curb Trump's war powers against Iran

Cruze

Reaction score
There is no chance of overriding the Trumpster's veto, of course. Most Republicans in the U.S. Senate are scared sh*tless of the Trumpster. I wonder how they explain their cowardice when they go home to their families at night?

Senate votes to curb Trump's war powers against Iran

The Senate voted 55-45 on Thursday in favor of a war powers resolution curbing President Trump's ability to launch military action against Iran without congressional authorization.

Eight Republican senators — Mike Lee (R-Utah), Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), Bill Cassidy (R-La.), Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Todd Young (R-Ind.), Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Susan Collins (R-Maine) — joined Democrats in voting for the resolution.

Why it matters: It's a bipartisan rebuke of the president's foreign policy that passed even after the White House threatened to veto the resolution.

What they're saying: Lee, who ripped into the Trump administration last month for its handling of the classified briefing on the killing of Iranian Gen. Qasem Soleimani, said, "For me, this is about supporting President Trump in his foreign policy, in his effort to make sure that we don't get involved too easily, too quickly, in an unconstitutional way, in any war."

What's next: Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a statement that the House will take up the Senate's joint resolution "in the coming weeks."

The big picture: This is not the first time bipartisan senators have joined forces to rebuke Trump's Middle East policies. The Senate has passed resolutions calling on Trump to pull U.S. support from the Saudi-led coalition in the war in Yemen and blocking the administration's sale of arms to Saudi Arabia. Both were vetoed by Trump.

https://www.axios.com/senate-passes-iran-war-resolution-640cee2d-4ee7-42cc-8302-6ea74f768f91.html

Last edited:

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Here's the million dollar question: Why ONLY Iran? Why not Yemen? Or Syria? Or Somalia? Or North Korea? Something tells me this has more to do with the Democrats protecting their Iranian allies, than it does for their concern about Presidential over-reach.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Here's the million dollar question: Why ONLY Iran? Why not Yemen? Or Syria? Or Somalia? Or North Korea? Something tells me this has more to do with the Democrats protecting their Iranian allies, than it does for their concern about Presidential over-reach.
^^^ didn't read the whole post ^^^^

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Dear Leader will veto. 8 R's with a spine is insufficient. So, yes he is for all intents and purposes.
Where was you or Cruze's concern when Obama launched attacks on Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Pakistan and Libya without congressional approval?

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
^^^ didn't read the whole post ^^^^
Touche'! The point stands though, that this is selective by the Democrats. They're fine with the POTUS attacking certain countries on his own, but they have an interest in protecting some specific countries.

howeda7

Reaction score
Where was you or Cruze's concern when Obama launched attacks on Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Pakistan and Libya without congressional approval?
Congress has cowardly yielded the power to wage war to the President for too long. I have said this multiple times. And so far Trump hasn't been any worse than Obama in this regard, which is rare.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Touche'! The point stands though, that this is selective by the Democrats. They're fine with the POTUS attacking certain countries on his own, but they have an interest in protecting some specific countries.
I won't disagree with you there. The war machine will not be tamed by any president.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Congress has cowardly yielded the power to wage war to the President for too long. I have said this multiple times. And so far Trump hasn't been any worse than Obama in this regard, which is rare.
I would never expect Democrats to find a conscious when it's their guy running roughshod around the globe attacking countries that never threatened us. If it took Trump for you to find Jesus, I'll call that another win for Trump. My concern is that as soon as a Democrat takes office, they'll change the rules back so their guy can go on another spree like Obama did.

howeda7

Reaction score
I would never expect Democrats to find a conscious when it's their guy running roughshod around the globe attacking countries that never threatened us. If it took Trump for you to find Jesus, I'll call that another win for Trump. My concern is that as soon as a Democrat takes office, they'll change the rules back so their guy can go on another spree like Obama did.
Obama went on a "war spree"?

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Agree that Congress needs to reclaim some territory here and that this sort of step is long overdue.

I will say that armed foreign interventionism is the one thing I don't worry a whole lot about with Trump. I was a little worried after the assassination but Trump backed down. He campaigned on not taking America into "stupid wars" and he hasn't shown much inclination to go there. I'll give him credit for that much sense.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I'd love to give this post a like, but crediting Trump in this case is like saying the crack house that caused the police to crack down is responsible for cleaning up the crack epidemic.

Top Bottom