Trump Will Try to Cancel November Election

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Sounds like you’re happily awaiting a recession that puts him out of office, as well as happily awaiting a “Twitter temper tantrum”. Can you tell Beatles he’s wrong?
I'm not a liberal, and I'm not cheering for a recession. I'm just telling you the facts. Do with it what you will. I do enjoy his petulant rants, though. I will not deny that.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Trump hasn’t messed up enough to warrant not being re-elected in a large number of voter’s opinions, so you think he already messed up. That’s your opinion.
I’m on record as saying he wins in November, but he’s never been North of 50 percent approval. The margin is thin if everything stays cupcakes and ice cream. A dish of Brussels sprouts and he can golf full time. It’s not the absurd notion some of his fans seem to think it is.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
I think in times like this, the idea of leaving an election open to people who are hoarding toilet paper is a bad situation.

It's probably best to postpone the election for 4 years to make sure everyone is safe.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
If, by October, corona is out of the headlines and the Dow is regaining some of its losses, then I don't see any major political damage to Trump. His base will turn out. If he can hold onto enough of the independents, he can certainly win.

But - if by October - corona is still in the headlines and impacting people's lives - and if the Dow is still in the dumper, then it becomes a lot more iffy for Trump to win.

Fair or not, Presidents generally benefit from a good economy and no big crisis during their term. Presidents generally take a hit when there is an economic downturn, or a major crisis.

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
Trump cannot cancel Federal elections. They're set by Congress. Only an act of Congress can change the date of an election. Moreover, the Constitution states when the new president and the new Congress can be seated. That means, any election must be done before those dates, which are Jan. 3 and January 20.

I suppose Congress could decide to cancel the election and not set a new date. That means you'd have recess appointees and special elections taking place everywhere. It also means that the Speaker of the House would become president on January 20, assuming there are people in the House who can vote for the speaker. If not, then it's going to be a Chuck Grassley who is president.

howeda7

Reaction score
If, by October, corona is out of the headlines and the Dow is regaining some of its losses, then I don't see any major political damage to Trump. His base will turn out. If he can hold onto enough of the independents, he can certainly win.

But - if by October - corona is still in the headlines and impacting people's lives - and if the Dow is still in the dumper, then it becomes a lot more iffy for Trump to win.

Fair or not, Presidents generally benefit from a good economy and no big crisis during their term. Presidents generally take a hit when there is an economic downturn, or a major crisis.
His margin was already razor thin.. The American public has the attention span of a gnat on most things, but I don't think they will forget about this by November. He will lose MI and PA. It all comes down to WI, FL and AZ. he must hold them all. Currently he's holding on in WI and FL, but Arizona doesn't look good.

stocker08

Reaction score
His margin was already razor thin.. The American public has the attention span of a gnat on most things, but I don't think they will forget about this by November. He will lose MI and PA. It all comes down to WI, FL and AZ. he must hold them all. Currently he's holding on in WI and FL, but Arizona doesn't look good.
Trump is far more likely to hold PA and lose WI.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score

By that time, the Dow won't matter. What will matter is whether we're in a recession and how severe. And I don't know if there's a way at this point to avoid at least some economic contraction with everything that's gone on. The dude was already on thin ice, and now he's all but toast.

Lady Gopher

Reaction score
I've never been a Biden fan but the speech he gave today was the speech trump was supposed to give. Given the current circumstances, he's going to pile drive trump into the ground. The country is probably done with the nonsense. That's why trump will have to cancel the election.
It would be so interesting to see how Biden would handle these challenging times in which this is just one of them as he has a hard time knowing what day it is, what city he is in, what office he is running for, what record to listen to on his record player, etc. He can say nice things nicely but is that enough to vote for him? I guess we will have a choice of narcissism or at the very least the beginnings of senility which only gets worse.

theczar

Banned
Reaction score
I heard Barrack Obama is going retroactively cancel trump's win...and become the president once again...as covid 19 is a world wide extinction level threat and Obama is the only one who can save the world

MplsGopher

Reaction score
It would be so interesting to see how Biden would handle these challenging times in which this is just one of them as he has a hard time knowing what day it is, what city he is in, what office he is running for, what record to listen to on his record player, etc.
But you know none of that matters. Why? Because what actually matters is the expertise, competence, and abilities of the people that the POTUS hires.

Sure, of course, the buck stops with the POTUS, and that is who takes the credit or gets the blame for how things turn out. That's what it is. But actual mechanics of the administration are the people the POTUS hires.

Joe would hire almost all exactly the same, amazing, incredible crew that made Obama's WH administration one of the best in the history of the country. (y)

Section2

Reaction score
Wipe that drool from your chin Howie.

Section2

Reaction score
Trump must shut down the entire country! It doesn’t matter what the economic costs are, people are literally dying!! (Hyperventilating). He doesn’t care! Shut it down now so everyone doesn’t die!!
(6 months later)
Trump is responsible for this recession and must be voted out.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Has nothing to do with a recession, and everything to do with the terrible lack of preparation and lack of correct initial response.

Damage is done, and can't be undone.

USAF

Reaction score
What preparation did you want?
How about, for starters, not telling his idiotic base it was all just a big hoax foisted on us by the evil Democrats?

Not getting on national TV and lying to all of us?

How about trying to do what's right, instead of what's right for Donald Trump?

You know...how about trying to be a president, instead of a jackass?

GopherJake

Reaction score
How about, for starters, not telling his idiotic base it was all just a big hoax foisted on us by the evil Democrats?

He actually could have pretty easily secured his re-election with a presidential response. He's proven pretty good at missing golden opportunities laid at his feet.

Section2

Reaction score

I actually sort of agree with you. But putting myself in his shoes, NON STOP, daily, unhinged, constant, political attacks for 4 solid years. Dwarfing everything any other president has ever come close to facing. Suddenly a pandemic appears, which they seem to do every decade or so, and now this time everything is different, we must shut the country down economy be damned.
what might your reaction be?
That said, I still think he’s missed many chances to handle this well, and his oval address was the worst I’ve ever seen. So there is plenty of fair blame here. And there’s also a lot of blame for the many many wolf criers and those on the left who have freaked out non stop all day every day for 4 years.
Lots of introspection for a lot of people. Not directing this at you since I can’t recall seeing your handle before.

USAF

Reaction score
I actually sort of agree with you. But putting myself in his shoes, NON STOP, daily, unhinged, constant, political attacks for 4 solid years. Dwarfing everything any other president has ever come close to facing. Suddenly a pandemic appears, which they seem to do every decade or so, and now this time everything is different, we must shut the country down economy be damned.
That said, I still think he’s missed many chances to handle this well, and his oval address was the worst I’ve ever seen. So there is plenty of fair blame here. And there’s also a lot of blame for the many many wolf criers and those on the left who have freaked out non stop all day every day for 4 years.
Lots of introspection for a lot of people. Not directing this at you since I can’t recall seeing your handle before.
The nonstop, unhinged political attacks aren't worse than those endured by Obama.

The only difference is, Trump richly deserves his.

Section2

Reaction score
The nonstop, unhinged political attacks aren't worse than those endured by Obama.

The only difference is, Trump richly deserves his.
They are many many times worse. You are not being objective.

NotAFanOfBecky

Reaction score
= a whole lot of dead, former militia members. :cautious:
I have no dog in this fight as I don’t care for either major party, but having connections with the police (Minneapolis police seargent and lieutenant) and military (captain and colonel) both parties have told me that the vast majority of each are conservatives. So I think it’s kind of a Dem dream that the police and military are going to protect them over their own interests. Kind of like those gun laws where the police won’t enforce them and have helped create sanctuary cities. Just saying.

jamiche

Reaction score
I have no dog in this fight as I don’t care for either major party, but having connections with the police (Minneapolis police seargent and lieutenant) and military (captain and colonel) both parties have told me that the vast majority of each are conservatives. So I think it’s kind of a Dem dream that the police and military are going to protect them over their own interests. Kind of like those gun laws where the police won’t enforce them and have helped create sanctuary cities. Just saying.
Agree. The folks with the guns love Trump. It's going to be very scary when he refuses to leave office.

jamiche

Reaction score
That was actually sort of halfway to a reasoned, mature response. At least until you started crying about the criticism that trump gets and that this whole mess is really the fault of the people who are mean to trump. (I know that you didn't vote for him, deuce, and you aren't a republican.) He failed badly and continues to fail at his most important assignment, keeping people safe. He compounds the problem every time he opens his mouth. Even when he almost belatedly does something right, he can't help lying and making things worse. No google website in the near future. Tests are still a trickle and every day is precious. No ventilator numbers. No personal responsibility.

Top Bottom