Trump Wants $850 Billion in Stimulus with an Airlines Bailout

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
Sorry if someone noted (didn't read through this thread) but while I was out delivering food some radio type said it is now $1T. Just heard it can't confirm it. Keep $$$ in the hands of my customers. They are cooking at home. Certainly I gave been exposed but I am in great health. For me the pollen is worse.
I'm hearing more than $1 trillion. It could easily be $1.5 trillion. Negotiations still have to take place with a couple key players.

Section2

Reaction score
Couple questions for you Fred:

1. Why is it ok to deficit spend for this, even though you are strident about your opposition?

2. Please detail with some specificity your plan. You say it won't cost$1T. How much will it cost? How will it be distributed? To whom? How much does that come out per person? Go on record now, so you can't use hindsight to frame your response.
Not interested in engaging further with dishonest people.

Section2

Reaction score
While you are at it, why don't you offer what you would do in this situation??
Jake is not interested in a discussion, or evaluating ideas. He is interested in trying to prove me wrong. I made the mistake of embarrassing him on several occasions where he was 100% wrong, and his goal in life now seems to be returning the favor. He failed again, so now he's going on a fishing expedition.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
No one is loving it. You keep saying crap like this (you'd rather it not work since Fox News reported it!) It's BS and you know it.

And for the record, I have no issue with this bill, as I didn't 10 years ago. But the hypocrisy is rich.
I have no issue with this bill either (except perhaps details that I haven’t heard about), yet you seem to indicate that I do. Funny how you know how I feel about something before I comment on it.

This is nothing like Obama faced with the stimulus in 2009. The people that will be helped are in this situation through no fault or choices of their own, and have had the rug pulled out from under them.

I‘m for ‘not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good‘ in this situation.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
I have no issue with this bill either (except perhaps details that I haven’t heard about), yet you seem to indicate that I do. Funny how you know how I feel about something before I comment on it.

This is nothing like Obama faced with the stimulus in 2009. The people that will be helped are in this situation through no fault or choices of their own, and have had the rug pulled out from under them.

You don't think millions of people were hurt from the Great Recession through no fault of their own? This is a bit, right?

howeda7

Reaction score

I have a problem with adding a trillion dollars to the deficit. But I don't think we have a choice at the moment. I know you don't have a problem now. I suspect you had a major problem with Obama in 2009 and yes the situations are very similar.

Last edited:

stocker08

Reaction score
You are now officially the biggest hypocrite on the board, eclipsing ShillGA.

Holy hell. Deuce is eating his own $hit trying to defend dear leader. The worst kind of shill...trying to say he isn't one and accusing others of it.

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
Government didn't shut down businesses in 2008. That's the major difference.
And we have a winner. Sorry, but your prize will be to continually have to explain that point over and over and over again..

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
You don't think millions of people were hurt from the Great Recession through no fault of their own? This is a bit, right?
I said “or decisions”. Recessions aren’t unexpected or rare. In many cases, people can make plans with good decision making, to get through tough economic times. Pandemics of this size are rare and unexpected. I don’t expect anyone to anticipate knowing what to do if their job is eliminated by a shut down of the economy for a period of time due to a deadly virus.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
I have a problem with adding a trillion dollars to the deficit. But I don't think we have a choice at the moment. I know you don't have a problem now. I suspect you had age major problem with Obama in 2009 and yes the situations are very similar.
No. It’s different.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
No one is loving it. You keep saying crap like this (you'd rather it not work since Fox News reported it!) It's BS and you know it.

And for the record, I have no issue with this bill, as I didn't 10 years ago. But the hypocrisy is rich.
I “keeping saying”? Was GasG responding to something I said? No. Come to think of it, you do the same thing. Pot shots with no basis. No specific criticism. It was just Fox News that reported it, so... better take a shot.

GopherJake

Reaction score
While you are at it, why don't you offer what you would do in this situation??
Sure, in broad terms. I would try to figure out a way to get money into the hands of low-income/hourly wage earners in a form that allows use for staples and rent. I don't know what form that is - maybe it's cash. I wish that were easy. But before I did that, I would make sure it actually was enough to have any kind of effect. And I sure as hell wouldn't give it to high wage earners. As someone said above, they will just put it in the bank. And a lot of them, like me, can just continue working uninterrupted.

I have a pretty hard time thinking we should give money to the airlines as they seem to be in the business of fu&king us 7 ways sideways, while walking away with record profits. The airlines will rebound after the crisis averts. There aren't going to be massive repercussions like plants all over the country closing down, like would have happened if GM went out of business.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Sure, in broad terms. I would try to figure out a way to get money into the hands of low-income/hourly wage earners in a form that allows use for staples and rent. I don't know what form that is - maybe it's cash. I wish that were easy. But before I did that, I would make sure it actually was enough to have any kind of effect. And I sure as hell wouldn't give it to high wage earners. As someone said above, they will just put it in the bank. And a lot of them, like me, can just continue working uninterrupted.

I have a pretty hard time thinking we should give money to the airlines as they seem to be in the business of fu&king us 7 ways sideways, while walking away with record profits. The airlines will rebound after the crisis averts. There aren't going to be massive repercussions like plants all over the country closing down, like would have happened if GM went out of business.
Agree regarding airlines.

John Galt

Reaction score
2008 was a recession and business slowed.

This time, the government forced private businesses to shut down.

There is a pretty clear distinction between the two events and an argument could be made for why businesses that were told to shut down deserve some compensation.

John Galt

Reaction score

I don’t support an airline bailout, but the fallout would be equal to or larger than letting GM fail.

GopherJake

Reaction score
I don’t support an airline bailout, but the fallout would be equal to or larger than letting GM fail.
Ok. How so? Let’s say lockdown lasts 2 months, just for conversation. Would it not just bust open? What permanent fallout would occur? I am talking in the corporate level - not the hourly employees.

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
Ok. How so? Let’s say lockdown lasts 2 months, just for conversation. Would it not just bust open? What permanent fallout would occur? I am talking in the corporate level - not the hourly employees.
Boeing fails. Part manufacturers go belly up. Millions unemployed.

That'd be the argument.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
There would be a difference. If GM stopped making cars, it would be unlikely that their market share would be captured by another American car company that would need 5he plants and the workers.

Airlines are still regulated enough that the failed domestic carriers would be replaced by another domestic carrier. Rough for employees under contract at high rates, and those invested in the airline, but the industry would need the special skills of pilots and mechanics and such no matter who owned them.

Section2

Reaction score
The auto companies got bailed out because of the unions.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Word. Giving money to rich friends won't save the economy. But this is what you do when you don't care about saving the economy but instead want to use a crisis to loot the U.S. Treasury.

jamiche

Reaction score
Obama didn't really have a plan or any goals, so there wasn't much obstruction needed.
Other than saving the country, the financial system and the western world, you may have a point, galty.

Top Bottom