Trump Wants $850 Billion in Stimulus with an Airlines Bailout

justthefacts

Reaction score
What businesses will be open to spend it in? It will be used for rent/mortgage payments and at the grocery store. I think it's necessary, but it's not going to prop up the other 90% of the economy much.

I'll start with your second sentence first: yes, for most Americans they'll need the money for the basics. But study after study has shown that more wealthy Americans tend to just put windfalls into savings. I'm saying not to do that.

There will be lots of places. If the checks come next week, get takeout from a local restaurant or buy a gift card. Buy a gift card at a brewery. Prepay at your local health club.

howeda7

Reaction score
I'll start with your second sentence first: yes, for most Americans they'll need the money for the basics. But study after study has shown that more wealthy Americans tend to just put windfalls into savings. I'm saying not to do that.

There will be lots of places. If the checks come next week, get takeout from a local restaurant or buy a gift card. Buy a gift card at a brewery. Prepay at your local health club.
I'm also wondering how they will prevent theft of this when everyone knows it's coming. I guess most folks will be home standing by their mailbox. But not all of us will.

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
It is extremely important. I vote almost exclusively GOP. We have to determine if we're about principle, people, or power. It appears to me that the party is only about power and not principle or the people. The vote on this stimulus package will answer that question.
Do you see this crisis as the same as the financial crisis? I see a big difference between a virus (which originated in China) and not bad loans (originated in America).

GopherJake

Reaction score
If this is a "stimulus" it's a terrible idea. We don't need Keynesian economics right now. What people need is relief. Millions just suddenly got thrown out of work and will lose their businesses. They just need cash for a couple months, or however long the quarantine lasts. Let's just send people cash.
Hypocrite Extraordinaire!!

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Do you see this crisis as the same as the financial crisis? I see a big difference between a virus (which originated in China) and not bad loans (originated in America).
The underlying principle is the same.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score

gTj3GIK.png
Yeah, $50 billion of the airline industry. The title was ambiguous about that with its emphasis on the airline bailout.

John Galt

Reaction score
You absolutely nailed it. Right wingers in GopherHole (we all know who they are) have been whining for years about what they view as the unwarranted hatred of the Trumpster by the political left in America. In doing so, they completely ignore the fact that the GOP spent Obama's entire time in office not only exhibiting their extreme hatred of him, but also actively doing anything they could think of to obstruct his administration.
Obama didn't really have a plan or any goals, so there wasn't much obstruction needed.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Agreed. But if Obama had proposed straight cash homey, the Fellas still would have hated it. It's all stimulus.
But your all about the coronavirus, right? You’re really not loving this. ?

But, Trump...Obama...The Fellas...

John Galt

Reaction score
The 2009 stimulus propped up some dying companies (i.e. GM) and added government public works programs. I don't know the details on what Trump has proposed, but someone can be intellectually honest and believe certain types of stimulus work and provide value and that others don't.

howeda7

Reaction score
But your all about the coronavirus, right? You’re really not loving this. ?

But, Trump...Obama...The Fellas...
No one is loving it. You keep saying crap like this (you'd rather it not work since Fox News reported it!) It's BS and you know it.

And for the record, I have no issue with this bill, as I didn't 10 years ago. But the hypocrisy is rich.

John Galt

Reaction score
No one is loving it. You keep saying crap like this (you'd rather it not work since Fox News reported it!) It's BS and you know it.

And for the record, I have no issue with this bill, as I didn't 10 years ago. But the hypocrisy is rich.
What's the hypocrisy? That someone might think it's worthwhile to save the airline industry but not GM?

stocker08

Reaction score
I hope so. My Kohls stock is getting it's @ss kicked.

Doesn't make sense. They already sell discount clothes that nobody else wants.

Maybe everyone figured that the poor shop there and think that it's a virus supermart?

Whatever....other than Goldy's Locker Room (which I can't go into without buying things)....Khols has always had the best Gophers gear. Hand down. Go into Target....it's a mixture of Gophers and Badgers. Khols is our Minnesota Gopher friend. They have more maroon than Viking purple. Go to Khols.

And yes...I misspelled it on purpose. I can't be the only one who gets tripped up with their name.

Section2

Reaction score
Can someone please detail the distinction between "stimulous" (an evil Obama thing!) and "sending people cash" (a totally good and righteous Trump thing).
Fiscal stimulus is keynesian economics meant to boost aggregate demand and GDP. Sending people cash is not a macro economic measure, it's relief.
This has nothing to do with Trump. I don't know which he is proposing. If he's proposing stimulus, that's idiotic. If he's proposing sending people cash for a month or two, I think that's great.

we are in a crisis. I know you can't see past your drool thinking about November. But millions of people just got thrown out of work because of government actions. Maybe necessary government actions, but through no fault of their own. It certainly seems reasonable to send them cash.

Section2

Reaction score

We don't need to bailout the airlines today, and we didn't need to bail out the auto industry 10 years ago. Most people just have no idea how bankruptcy works.

Section2

Reaction score
Agreed. But if Obama had proposed straight cash homey, the Fellas still would have hated it. It's all stimulus.
I feel so sorry for you. You just cannot slip out of your derangement against Trump for 5 minutes.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
What do you suggest we do for the airline industry? How about the restaurant workers who’ve been forced to stay home?
Nothing. Just like McConnell and the GOP said we should do 11 years ago.

stocker08

Reaction score
Hypocrite Extraordinaire!!

Not deuce! Not stimulus! Wait....what did he just defend?

Ah.....not a policy......a Republican.

Does anybody think that this idiot (section2 for the rest of the mentally challenged who like his fun posts) who claims to be economist (fake, proven idiot, basic economic prinicples are alien to him) is actually someone with legitimacy?

Someone with short memory. Or someone who purposely ignores ignorance because of faith in politics. You have that in spades, booj.

stocker08

Reaction score
I feel so sorry for you. You just cannot slip out of your derangement against Trump for 5 minutes.

And you have such an affinity for Trump, that you will excuse every bad move that he's made.

Tell me.....what was your last few criticisms of your king? I'd like to see posts. My guess is that you couldn't provide them. You've been a shill from the day you logged in.

It'll be fun to see this.

Section2

Reaction score
Nothing. Just like McConnell and the GOP said we should do 11 years ago.
That's fine with me. But the auto industry didn't go belly up because the government suspended car buying for 2 years. They went belly up because they were bloated inefficient orgs with too much debt, and the financial crisis exposed it.

Now, the airline industry is similar in a lot of ways, so I'd be fine with letting them fold. Airplanes will still exist. Airports will still exist. Someone else will buy the capital and fly people around.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Fiscal stimulus is keynesian economics meant to boost aggregate demand and GDP. Sending people cash is not a macro economic measure, it's relief.
This has nothing to do with Trump. I don't know which he is proposing. If he's proposing stimulus, that's idiotic. If he's proposing sending people cash for a month or two, I think that's great.

we are in a crisis. I know you can't see past your drool thinking about November. But millions of people just got thrown out of work because of government actions. Maybe necessary government actions, but through no fault of their own. It certainly seems reasonable to send them cash.
They have the best Twins stuff, too.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
A thought - a direct cash payment would likely have the most impact for restaurant/bar workers and others who will be laid off and go on unemployment.

Just in case people don't know - unemployment does not replace all of your lost income - only a portion of it. so, an extra helping of cash is probably the best thing the gov't could do for people in that situation.

If you are reasonably well-off, or have some savings, $1,000 may not seem life-changing. but if you're living paycheck to paycheck, $1,000 can seem like winning the Publishers' Clearinghouse sweepstakes.
That could make the difference between paying the rent or not - or making the car payment or not.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Cant get over him can you hackin?

Hackin more worried about b oh than the crisis happening before our eyes.

Section2

Reaction score
I hope that's not true. It will prove the GOP and every GOP voter has been full of sh!t for a decade, like I suspect you are.
Let's examine your voting history to see how full of $hit you are?

GoodasGold

Reaction score

Thank you perfessor. But all quite predictable. When you allow a con man to take charge... you always get conned. Guaranteed.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Let's examine your voting history to see how full of $hit you are?
Sure. As soon as we resolve how the GOP has become the party of stimulus after uniformly bashing the stimulus bill for a decade. I wonder what changed?

Top Bottom