Trump pulls troops from Germany

bga1

Reaction score
11,900 pull back. Promises made, promises kept.

Fantastic!

justthefacts

Reaction score
I'm not really opposed to this, but I do love how Republicans deify both Reagan and Trump, despite the massive differences in their policies.

bga1

Reaction score
I'm not really opposed to this, but I do love how Republicans deify both Reagan and Trump, despite the massive differences in their policies.

Actually there is not that much difference in their policies. Peace through strength. Strong military that is so strong, you don't have to use it. Remember that war with the USSR? Oh wait, there wasn't one.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Actually there is not that much difference in their policies. Peace through strength. Strong military that is so strong, you don't have to use it. Remember that war with the USSR? Oh wait, there wasn't one.
Ha, peace through strength. What about arming Iraq in the Iran/Iraq war? What about arming the Taliban? What about Grenada? What about troops in Lebanon? What about bombing Libya?

As for NATO and troops in Germany, Reagan was pretty clear.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Cue the war-mongering Democratic Party to start raging on how Trump's reducing the deployment of our troops is madness. According to the Dem's, it's much better to follow the "We came, we saw, he died" scorched earth policy of Obama/Biden/Hillary. Just look how those policies improved the lives of people living in Libya or Yemen (which Obama called his greatest foreign policy success).

justthefacts

Reaction score
Cue the war-mongering Democratic Party to start raging on how Trump's reducing the deployment of our troops is madness. According to the Dem's, it's much better to follow the "We came, we saw, he died" scorched earth policy of Obama/Biden/Hillary. Just look how those policies improved the lives of people living in Libya or Yemen (which Obama called his greatest foreign policy success).

CONSERVATIVES: Reagan believed in peace through strength! You can tell because we didn't go to war with the USSR!

ALSO CONSERVATIVES: The only reason we have troops in Germany is war mongers!

Also, Hertling fought in wars while Reagan and Bush were President, but you call him a "war-mongering Democrat."

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Trump removes troops from Afghanistan, and the libs rage and try to block it. Trump removes troops from Syria, and the libs rage and, as usual, just totally make up lies in an attempt to stop it. Obama/Biden/Hillary greatly expanded our military footprint in the world, including of course putting Iran on a path to getting nuclear weapons including giving them the funding to make it happen (just like Bill Clinton did for North Korea). Trump's working to undo the damage they (Obama/Biden/Bill and Hillary) did, but of course the swamp is fighting back. Here's to Trump's promise kept.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Agree, but think a social worker trained in deescalation needs to be included with each unit. Otherwise the unit may forget the protest is peaceful when they see protester weapons, are in danger of being blinded, or have bricks thrown at them.
There are lots of examples of peaceful demonstration. Here's two more you can add to your list: fires blazing out of control and people getting shot. Now if you stand say in front of your house with a gun that doesn't work, that's violent and you'll be arrested and charged with a felony. Destroy property, that fine; try to defend yourself, nope. It's all wrapped up in "liberal logic".

bga1

Reaction score
CONSERVATIVES: Reagan believed in peace through strength! You can tell because we didn't go to war with the USSR!

ALSO CONSERVATIVES: The only reason we have troops in Germany is war mongers!

Also, Hertling fought in wars while Reagan and Bush were President, but you call him a "war-mongering Democrat."
JTF- your posts are like the prize in cracker jacks. With you there is a deception in every post! That's why I can't wait to open your posts, so fun to find the deceptions- usually way more than one.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
About half of those troops will be redeployed to other parts of Europe, and the other half will continue to rotate deployment. The move will cost billions of dollars and is part of an effort to counter Russia. So I don't see this as the troop drawdown or military reduction the thread suggests.

bga1

Reaction score
About half of those troops will be redeployed to other parts of Europe, and the other half will continue to rotate deployment. The move will cost billions of dollars and is part of an effort to counter Russia. So I don't see this as the troop drawdown or military reduction the thread suggests.

Right so it is kind of like changing to something more energy efficient- you pay more now but you save later??? It would be awfully tough for you to give credit on this one. We get that.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Right so it is kind of like changing to something more energy efficient- you pay more now but you save later??? It would be awfully tough for you to give credit on this one. We get that.
How does it make us more efficient? According to SecDef Esper, “These changes will achieve the core principles of enhancing U.S. and NATO deterrence of Russia, strengthening NATO, reassuring allies and improving U.S. strategic flexibility." Germany was the hub of our European operations. This perhaps makes our forces less centralized and bolsters our Russian defenses, but I'm not sure it's more efficient. What efficiencies are we gaining after a couple billion extra dollars and a couple extra years to implement?

What exactly am I suppose to be crediting? As far as I can see, the net effect/goal of this is to counter Russia. That sounds fine to me. I must be missing the reductions you & Trump seem to be touting.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Trump removes troops from Afghanistan, and the libs rage and try to block it. Trump removes troops from Syria, and the libs rage and, as usual, just totally make up lies in an attempt to stop it. Obama/Biden/Hillary greatly expanded our military footprint in the world, including of course putting Iran on a path to getting nuclear weapons including giving them the funding to make it happen (just like Bill Clinton did for North Korea). Trump's working to undo the damage they (Obama/Biden/Bill and Hillary) did, but of course the swamp is fighting back. Here's to Trump's promise kept.
Great links.

Afghanistan article:

The 3rd paragraph of your Syria article is:

USAF

Reaction score
Trump takes call from Putin, weakens NATO.

justthefacts

Reaction score

Section2

Reaction score

personally I dont' deify either. Reagan was a great communicator and he showed that the American people at least at that time could be unified around a vision of smaller government. His failures were ALL where he departed from that vision. Clinton was successful for many of the same reasons. Yet here we are 4 decades later, and small government is almost entirely absent as a principle from both parties.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
This game the lefties play where they act shocked that Trump does things unpopular with the corporate, Neocon wing of the GOP, is boring.

The real problem the left has with Trump creating all this peace around the world, is that he might get credit for something they long claimed to care about, but never actually cared about.

North Korea, ISIS, Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, they're even discussing peace talks in Yemen now.

I've never seen a President achieve anything like this before.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
This game the lefties play where they act shocked that Trump does things unpopular with the corporate, Neocon wing of the GOP, is boring.

The real problem the left has with Trump creating all this peace around the world, is that he might get credit for something they long claimed to care about, but never actually cared about.

North Korea, ISIS, Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, they're even discussing peace talks in Yemen now.

I've never seen a President achieve anything like this before.
It's great to finally see some sense being put towards military policy, especially after the disaster that was Obama/Biden/Hillary. The terrible decisions they made will be impacting the world for generations, but that's the Democratic Party. They had one voice speaking out against their scorched earth policies, and they made sure that voice never got heard (e.g., changing the rules for each new debate so she won't get an invite). And you now see the classic libs approach of "make up stuff about Trump that he never did and pretend it's real, and at the same time ignore what the libs actually did and pretend it never happened". Amazing how with every topic it's the same behavior, all part of fabricating their imaginary bubble.

John Galt

Reaction score
Only the neocons can criticize this move.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score

The world is a very different place now than in the 1980’s. The spread of communism was an issue pre-1980. Reagan‘s view was one that believed in spreading democracy and he acted aggressively to deter communism, and he was very effective at it.

Modern conflicts are more complicated in that they aren’t necessarily wars with sovereign nations, but radicalized religions/cultures. And, the tools of warfare aren’t necessarily about troops movements and weapons, but also economic sanctions and indirect coercion.

I would agree that Reagan was more interested in spreading democracy throughout the world than Trump is, but the US has reached an imbalance with free countries of the world where the US has done ALL the heavy lifting, mostly out of self interest, but also b/c other free countries knew that we’d pay for it. I think even Reagan might have been frustrated at this imbalance after 40 years.

Top Bottom