Trump Impeachment #2 Trial

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Apparently a president can do just about anything they want in their last months in office without repercussions. Not a dangerous precedent to set at all.
Apparently a governor can kill people without repercussions. And cover it up. And lie about it. And boast. Not a dangerous precedent to set at all.

cncmin

Reaction score
I think the way it is is the way it must be. Lawmakers should not be able to hide behind anonymity. A voting record is one of their only true accountabilities.
That's fine, but that directly leads to some of our current partisan problems in Congress, and doing nothing corrects nothing.

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Apparently a president can do just about anything they want in their last months in office without repercussions. Not a dangerous precedent to set at all.
Voted out of office. C'mon undercover Loony Lefty, stop pretending to be middle of the road.

cncmin

Reaction score
I said it long ago, and it's been proven time and again, and settled for all time on Jan 6, 2021: Donald Trump is the worst thing to happen to this nation in my lifetime.

I hope we can overcome the damage he's done to our republic.
Disagree. Trump is a symptom of the true cause: corruption of the Republican Party led by total disregard for American well-being, as led by the brutal partisan tactics begun in Congress by Newt Gingrich, and propagated into the mainstream of American consciousness by the massive propaganda arm that is ubiquitous RW media, initiated by Republican Party operative and FOX News founder Roger Ailes. If Trump never existed, where the Republican Party is now would have been realized eventually under a different demagogue/autocrat. All Trump did was speed up the process of getting to this point of near-autocracy. The Gingriches and McConnells and Hannitys and Limbaughs of this country were setting up this disaster long before Trump arrived on the scene. These same people continue to contribute to creating more disaster today.

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Love me some Joni Ernst, one of the few voices of reason remaining:

“Total, total shit show,” Joni Ernst says when I asked about her reaction to this, calling it “a tool of revenge” against Trump. Adds: “if they want to drag this out, we’ll drag it out. They won’t get their noms, they won’t get anything.”

Wally

Reaction score
Love me some Joni Ernst, one of the few voices of reason remaining:

“Total, total shit show,” Joni Ernst says when I asked about her reaction to this, calling it “a tool of revenge” against Trump. Adds: “if they want to drag this out, we’ll drag it out. They won’t get their noms, they won’t get anything.”
And the Republican party will be destroyed even more than it is.

Spoofin

Reaction score
This proceeding isn’t handing out any repercussions. Even if they convict him in Congress (which seems unlikely) the consequence is he can’t run for office again. Big Woopie. That ain’t gonna happen anyways.

If you want repercussions for someone who isn’t holding an official position, it would need to come from a court of law. Congress has no teeth here. Everyone knows how they are going to vote so just vote and then get back to your real jobs. This proceeding is just posturing.

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Ridiculous (but obviously not unexpected) the Dems go down the "witness" road, but this will be interesting.

1613243489236.png

Spoofin

Reaction score
Too many.
Well, of course, but you aren’t answering my question. Unless your take is basically that since some wacko Trump supporters stormed the Capitol that all 75-million people who voted for him are a threat to do violence and should be feared?

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Well, of course, but you aren’t answering my question. Unless your take is basically that since some wacko Trump supporters stormed the Capitol that all 75-million people who voted for him are a threat to do violence and should be feared?
No need to fear them, but they certainly should be derided.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
In addition to derided, you can also include shamed, ignored and ostracized.
I can't fathom the mindsets of the people who think the events of January 6 should be rationalized, minimized, excused or ignored. Nor can I see how we can possibly be expected to believe and/or pretend that Trump had no culpability in what happened that day.

I know one thing: these people who insist we must "move on", because any other course of action would be "too hard" or "too devisive" or "a waste of precious time" or "a foregone conclusion" can no longer claim to be patriots. Democracy is hard. Most things worth having are not easy to achieve... nor to keep.

MennoSota

Reaction score
So, did President Trump order citizens to storm the capital and overrun the compound?
If so, then he's guilty.
Did he get a report and fail to act quickly, like Benghazi, then the judgment becomes very subjective.
This impeachment trial seems like a Benghazi situation. People are going to have their own opinion based upon Party affiliation.
Frankly, I couldn't care less about a former President who shamed himself. He's old news, just like Obama.

cncmin

Reaction score
The Dems have failed on two gimme impeachment cases by refusing to force Republicans to testify under oath. They might not have gained a conviction in either case, but in both cases they had plenty of chances to expose the corruption of the Republicans to the public, and in both cases they left whistle blowers hanging for no reason. The Dems fail miserably at political games, and that is their main weakness. They are a bunch of wimps.

Wally

Reaction score
The Dems have failed on two gimme impeachment cases by refusing to force Republicans to testify under oath. They might not have gained a conviction in either case, but in both cases they had plenty of chances to expose the corruption of the Republicans to the public, and in both cases they left whistle blowers hanging for no reason. The Dems fail miserably at political games, and that is their main weakness. They are a bunch of wimps.
AOC for president!!!

cncmin

Reaction score
AOC for president!!!
LOL. Please, no. Replacing one extreme with another gets us nowhere. Dems just need to be stronger willed, that's all. Republicans own them in Congress and over the airwaves not by favored policy, or their willingness for corruption, immorality or lack of ethics, but by brute force and m.o. to always play hardball. In politics, the louder one wins. Centrists - including those precious few Republican centrists - need to step up and be louder and tougher.

Last edited:

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
So, did President Trump order citizens to storm the capital and overrun the compound?
If so, then he's guilty.
Did he get a report and fail to act quickly, like Benghazi, then the judgment becomes very subjective.
This impeachment trial seems like a Benghazi situation. People are going to have their own opinion based upon Party affiliation.
Frankly, I couldn't care less about a former President who shamed himself. He's old news, just like Obama.
Yeah, it’s like Benghazi, if the bad guys were assembled by the people in charge.

Nax5

Reaction score
I think if anyone still supports Trump (loyalists) at this point, they should be considered suspicious. Different from Trump voters, though.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Nancy is not actually in charge of Capitol security, Neither is the mayor. Hope that helps.
The United States Capitol Police (USCP) is overseen by the Capitol Police Board and has Congressional oversight by appropriations and authorizing committees from the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate.

US House of Representatives 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
The United States Capitol Police (USCP) is overseen by the Capitol Police Board and has Congressional oversight by appropriations and authorizing committees from the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate.

US House of Representatives 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
By this logic there is a pothole on I 94 I think we should find her directly responsible for.

Top Bottom