Trump Admin Moves to Corrupt Coronavirus Data

Section2

Reaction score
Since they are only the aggregator, they can only ADD to confusion.

For all you "The Press is the Enemy of the People" people, we are one step closer to no checks and balances.
I see lots of calls on the left for more federal, centralized actions on COVID, and freaking out when they do anything. It's just a constant stream of no win situations.
The press IS the enemy of the people.
The Trump admin is the most 'checked' admin in my lifetime. Every action they take is seemingly met with lawsuits, blockades, pushback, and often times capitulation.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Sorry, anytime a function moves to a more political entity, it becomes more, not less politicized. No matter who is in charge.
This cannot be framed as more efficient (the CDC will still do what they do), more cost efficient (ditto) or more transparent. Which conservative ideal is being served here?

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
If a progressive administration had done the exact same move for the exact same reasons, that's how it would be framed. I'm not making any assumptions. This move COULD be corrupt. And it COULD be a move to remove corruption.
I think it is a move to take on corruption. But the better way is to coordinate with CDC, because this type of move allows the corrupt MSM to paint it in a negative light. At some point, the Trump admin has to be smarter about moves like this. Otherwise the message gets lost thru MSM deception

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I mean, besides "owning the libs". Which as amusing as it must be, is expanding Executive Power every day.

Section2

Reaction score
I think it is a move to take on corruption. But the better way is to coordinate with CDC, because this type of move allows the corrupt MSM to paint it in a negative light. At some point, the Trump admin has to be smarter about moves like this. Otherwise the message gets lost thru MSM deception
Maybe the Trump admin doesn't trust the CDC?

Section2

Reaction score
Sorry, anytime a function moves to a more political entity, it becomes more, not less politicized. No matter who is in charge.
This cannot be framed as more efficient (the CDC will still do what they do), more cost efficient (ditto) or more transparent. Which conservative ideal is being served here?
That's assuming that the CDC, or state health agencies are NOT politicized. I don't know the answer to that question, but I suspect there are almost no institutions left that are not political. That's not a good trend.
I don't think anyone would argue this is more efficient.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
You're completely right. There is nothing that he can do about that. The lunacy in the reactions regarding around all things Donald Trump is cult-like. I don't care what that group thinks either.

That said, I also don't trust Trump to be forthright and I don't know if multiple sources of disinformation gets us anywhere closer to the truth. So why muddy your hands?
I don’t trust Trump. I do trust those that surround him. He has many reasonable and responsible people that do their best to keep him on the right track. Some are Cabinet members, some are Senators, some are career administrators or former private sector advisors. Not all, but enough.

On the other hand, I’m glad Trump is the bull in the china shop when it comes to Washington DC. It was a place that needed some turmoil and business as usual reform.

We’re at a crossroad and the slow march to the left by the powers that be, needed to end. The media and the left have been bullying the American public farther to the left with the political correctness and societal reform for long enough.

Trump will be out of office in 4+ years, but the left needs to be repelled before they screw everything up for good.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Bad managers take on original work when they can't get subordinates to do it.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
If a progressive administration had done the exact same move for the exact same reasons, that's how it would be framed. I'm not making any assumptions. This move COULD be corrupt. And it COULD be a move to remove corruption.
I had the exact same thought. If Walz told MN hospitals to report all data to MDH first, I probably would have been like, "eh, ok". But like I said above, everything the Trump administration does is so ham-fisted and clumsy. Data on CDC site is already down as of this morning. What's the play here? No one seems to know what is going on, running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

howeda7

Reaction score
All of this. The idea that the administration that has been in downplay and denial mode for months is taking this over to "improve efficiency" of the data or "increase transparency" is absurd. Occam's razor. They're taking over the data so they can bury it.

howeda7

Reaction score
I don’t trust Trump. I do trust those that surround him. He has many reasonable and responsible people that do their best to keep him on the right track.
Who does he have around him regarding the pandemic that is reasonable and responsible? Don't include Fauci who they've been throwing under the bus for 2 weeks.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
The whole thing has been a disaster from the get go. To expect one group to "clean things up" at this point is wishful thinking IMO. Should be finding ways to work together. In a way then all sides can kinda keep everyone else in check so to speak.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
The whole thing has been a disaster from the get go. To expect one group to "clean things up" at this point is wishful thinking IMO. Should be finding ways to work together. In a way then all sides can kinda keep everyone else in check so to speak.
Or maybe, and I'm just spitballin' here, develop a coherent and cohesive strategy.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
The issue is not Trump, per se. It's the idea that a politician - in an election year - is potentially going to control public access to information about a public health issue.

that is simply a conflict of interest. and it would be true for either party.

I don't want either political party controlling access to public health information. too much temptation to only release information that meets the party's purposes.

science and medicine should be non-partisan.

Section2

Reaction score
The issue is not Trump, per se. It's the idea that a politician - in an election year - is potentially going to control public access to information about a public health issue.

I don't want either political party controlling access to public health information. too much temptation to only release information that meets the party's purposes.

of course, what you say is common sense and true. But just for sake of argument: what if public health agencies which control public access to information have their own political interest, and as such, a conflict of interest themselves?
This is the problem of politicization of everything. Everyone is biased.
And I gotta say, our public health experts have no one to blame but themselves the second they lied to the public and told them masks weren't effective, and again when they said protests are ok as long as the cause is "just".

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Who does he have around him regarding the pandemic that is reasonable and responsible? Don't include Fauci who they've been throwing under the bus for 2 weeks.
The Vice President, Dr. Birx, his Chief of Staff and other members of the CV Task Force

howeda7

Reaction score

I know you're a "both sides" kind of guy. But yes it is a Trump issue. No previous President, Democrat or Republican) would try to get away with this. I know we say that twice a week but it's true.

howeda7

Reaction score
Or maybe, and I'm just spitballin' here, develop a coherent and cohesive strategy.
Maybe that's on Trump's list and he's just working his way down to it. I think 6 months of "hear no evil, see no evil" was a long enough trial run.

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
I don’t trust Trump. I do trust those that surround him. He has many reasonable and responsible people that do their best to keep him on the right track.

I had hoped for this to be the case earlier on in his administration. It has become rather evident, however, that the opportunists have all latched onto his coattails and do their dirty work hidden within the enormity of his ominous shadow.

USAF

Reaction score
Trump and his mindless supporters take us one step farther on the road to permanent banana republic status.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Maybe that's on Trump's list and he's just working his way down to it. I think 6 months of "hear no evil, see no evil" was a long enough trial run.
What’s Joe Biden’s coherent and cohesive plan?...besides listen to the experts...like there’s some unanimity of opinion by experts.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
It would be just as accurate to say Trump admin moves to eliminate corruption from coronavirus data.
I don't think anybody has complete info on this change.

However, it appears to me to be an effort to improve data quality, which if so, I would laud.

My understanding is that the data was going to CDC, and that they were doing a fairly botched job on it. It appears that the data will be (going forward) heading straight to a different group at NIH. Everybody understands that the umbrella organization over CDC is the NIH, right? Perhaps they're going to send the data to a better data-science team that hopefully will not botch things as bad as CDC did. I guess we all know that CDC botched a lot of things, actually, right?

So this is most likely all for the better, and if it doesn't improve data quality, then probably just a sideways move. So no big deal.

But we do need to call out the naming of this thread, as "Trump Admin Moves to Corrupt Coronavirus Data." That's about the most disingenuous thread title I've ever seen on GH. Someone who doesn't know anything at all about a new news development, just goes ahead and assumes the worst for thread-naming purposes, where the definition of "worst" in this case is actually the "best" out of all feasible explanations, toward the end goal of painting Trump in the "worst" possible light.

@WhoFellDownTheGopherHole? should be ashamed.

Last edited:

howeda7

Reaction score
What’s Joe Biden’s coherent and cohesive plan?...besides listen to the experts...like there’s some unanimity of opinion by experts.
You mean like every other advanced country on Earth? Yeah, he would do like they did. Gee, it would suck to be where Germany is right now, right?

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
I don't think anybody has complete info on this change.

However, it appears to me to be an effort to improve data quality, which if so, I would laud.

My understanding is that the data was going to CDC, and that they were doing a fairly botched job on it. It appears that the data will be (going forward) heading straight to a different group at NIH. Everybody understands that the umbrella organization over CDC is the NIH, right? Perhaps they're going to send the data to a better data-science team that hopefully will not botch things as bad as CDC did. I guess we all know that CDC botched a lot of things, actually, right?

So this is most likely all for the better, and if it doesn't improve data quality, then probably just a sideways move. So no big deal.

But we do need to call out the naming of this thread, as "Trump Admin Moves to Corrupt Coronavirus Data." That's about the most disingenuous thread title I've ever seen on GH. Someone who doesn't know anything at all about a new news development, just goes ahead and assumes the worst for thread-naming purposes, where the definition of "worst" in this case is actually the "best" out of all feasible explanations, toward the goal of painting Trump in the "worst" possible light.

@WhoFellDownTheGopherHole? should be ashamed.
By your standard, 80% of the Off Topic forums should be deleted. Stick to numbers, friend. Politics are not your forte.

Top Bottom