Tomorrow's Uniforms - END RACISM

Some guy

Reaction score
Obviously nobody agrees with racism, but this program and the U of M's athletic program has been plagued with sexual assaults, domestics violence, and violence upon fellow students. Kind of strange to get preachy......

Two out of every three stories on College Gameday are about a player that was raised by his mother and grandma. Imagine the power of a message on the back of a jersey that said "Take Care of Your Children." It would be powerful and influential and could initiate real change, but that is the conversation that is not allowed to happen. Oh well, just a small interjection of truth in a world that hates it.
So 5 years ago there was a sexual assault allegation so now it is wrong to be against racism?

Odd stance

MplsGopher

Reaction score
That’s not the point. It’ll always be there. It’s as old as human history.

Maybe we should give up and not try to mitigate it.
Bolded: objectively false.

Race is a figment of someone's imagination. It's not science. It's anti-science, in fact.

It's nothing more than a fake way to categorize humans, based on a few physical traits, like skin pigment, hair color/type, and shapes of lips, noses, and eyes.

None of these is scientific. DNA is scientific.

It's a fake way to say that someone is inferior, because of a non-science reason, and enable hatred of a person without even talking to them or knowing a single thing about them.

It's pathetic and sad in this country how many white people are fearful of another human that they've never seen before and never even talked to, just because they have dark skin pigment and perhaps dress a certain way.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
"Be a Real Man" on the back of Jerseys

Meaning:
1. You stand up for what is right no matter what
2. You love people and your kindness is visible and observational
3. You make your relationships with your family solid relationships. You love your children and your wife with everything you have.
4. Work on your faith.
5. Be a better version of yourself each day.

When men stand up and do the right thing and are selfless in their lives the rest takes care of itself.
"Work on your faith?" WTF. So now you're telling people they have to be religious? Seems hypocritical from someone complaining about a message supporting anti-racism.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Holy shit. It's sad that we pretty much could name the GH posters who were going to take offense to this message. This a team of 18-23-year-olds (the majority of whom are black). They care about each other. They have a culture that supports caring about something outside of football. If this message is important to them (which we clearly know it is), they should feel good about expressing it. Who cares what some armchair QB in Woodbury takes offense to?

Honestly, if it meant we could rid our fanbase of all the tools who can't just accept this message for its simple face value, we should wear this message EVERY FREAKING GAME. EVERY GAME. I for one would love it (and I know I'm not the only one).

PS. The people trying to take potshots about fatherless kids or sexual assaults are clearly sad clowns who don't like to see the world changing. Jesus

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
"Work on your faith?" WTF. So now you're telling people they have to be religious? Seems hypocritical from someone complaining about a message supporting anti-racism.
A lot of folks think 'if everyone was just like me there wouldn't be any of these problems' comming from folks who can't imagine life ... not like them.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
A lot of folks think 'if everyone was just like me there wouldn't be any of these problems' comming from folks who can't imagine life ... not like them.
It's pretty hilarious. "I don't like you forcing your message on us. BUT you should all try listening to my message from God."

Look, I have no problem with religion or people that believe in some kind of God. I think we all likely have to believe in something or have some level of spirituality to manage this world. These kids believe in their culture - which promotes spirituality (Fleck, who is a person of faith, does not push that specifically because he is intelligent enough to know that God is not for everyone).

But to assume that these kids don't have faith because they are saying "End Racism" is quite ridiculous and short-sighted. Even worse, to assume that black people don't have faith or aren't religious because there have been issues with fatherless families is even more out there. It's basically like Alaska is saying, if you'd all just go to church more, all your problems would be solved!

WriterGoph

Reaction score
"Be a Real Man" on the back of Jerseys

Meaning:
1. You stand up for what is right no matter what
2. You love people and your kindness is visible and observational
3. You make your relationships with your family solid relationships. You love your children and your wife with everything you have.
4. Work on your faith.
5. Be a better version of yourself each day.

When men stand up and do the right thing and are selfless in their lives the rest takes care of itself.
Let me make sure I am understanding this, cause it's pretty out there. So you're basically saying that if black men would just follow your plan above, then everyone else would have no reason to be racist against them? But until that happens, the racism they have experienced is justified? And, by your thinking, everything they have experienced - slavery, lynching, Jim Crow laws, Civil Rights battles, crack epidemic, shitty schools - it's all just self-inflicted, yeah?

Damn, black people have sure drawn some bad karma for themselves these past 200 years.

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
Not going to wade into the argument on the value of doing this or the impact it may or may not have.

The only thing that surprises me a little bit is that we are even able to do this. Has another NCAA team put slogans on their jersey that are not associated with the team like this? I can't think of another example that I have seen.

fair

Reaction score
Not going to wade into the argument on the value of doing this or the impact it may or may not have.

The only thing that surprises me a little bit is that we are even able to do this. Has another NCAA team put slogans on their jersey that are not associated with the team like this? I can't think of another example that I have seen.
I believe Maryland had statements on their jerseys when we played them.

stocker08

Reaction score
I dont think its hate, I think that as individuals we dont take accountability for what "we" are doing. We like to talk and do all these things, but really Men in the country are not being accountable for what they are doing everyday. Until that happens there will be no change.
Right. And the quicker people take notice....the quicker those people will be held accountable.

#2Gopher

Reaction score
It's pretty hilarious. "I don't like you forcing your message on us. BUT you should all try listening to my message from God."

Look, I have no problem with religion or people that believe in some kind of God. I think we all likely have to believe in something or have some level of spirituality to manage this world. These kids believe in their culture - which promotes spirituality (Fleck, who is a person of faith, does not push that specifically because he is intelligent enough to know that God is not for everyone).

But to assume that these kids don't have faith because they are saying "End Racism" is quite ridiculous and short-sighted. Even worse, to assume that black people don't have faith or aren't religious because there have been issues with fatherless families is even more out there. It's basically like Alaska is saying, if you'd all just go to church more, all your problems would be solved!
So you're saying Fleck recognizes that God is not for everyone. Without God where does your soul go at time of death? Is this what Fleck wants?

MNGopher23

Reaction score
Holy shit. It's sad that we pretty much could name the GH posters who were going to take offense to this message. This a team of 18-23-year-olds (the majority of whom are black). They care about each other. They have a culture that supports caring about something outside of football. If this message is important to them (which we clearly know it is), they should feel good about expressing it. Who cares what some armchair QB in Woodbury takes offense to?

Honestly, if it meant we could rid our fanbase of all the tools who can't just accept this message for its simple face value, we should wear this message EVERY FREAKING GAME. EVERY GAME. I for one would love it (and I know I'm not the only one).

PS. The people trying to take potshots about fatherless kids or sexual assaults are clearly sad clowns who don't like to see the world changing. Jesus
It's just a message board. Relax, and take a deep breath.

stocker08

Reaction score

Exactly to the bolded. And to everyone saying this is stupid and obvious....there are a few posters on the OTB that have argued that racism no longer exists....or it isn't a problem.

And you wonder why a simple message like this deserves repeating to the people who are willfully ignorant.

1994Convert

Reaction score
The fact that these 18-21yr old men have to focus their energy on ending racism, is a testament to the reality of their world. Not calling attention to modern racism hasn't accomplished much, so I am quite in favor of them calling it out specifically even if it angers some of the white folks on this message board.

Ewert86PC

Metrodome Era Survivor
Reaction score
Exactly to the bolded. And to everyone saying this is stupid and obvious....there are a few posters on the OTB that have argued that racism no longer exists....or it isn't a problem.

And you wonder why a simple message like this deserves repeating to the people who are willfully ignorant.
You mean some if them took time away from their Parler disinformation orgy to check in here?

Herd

Reaction score
How do you know when racism ends?
That's the beauty of it, nobody knows. Just speak whatever you want into truth. The following week they should have an end Global Warming uniform too!

WriterGoph

Reaction score
So you're saying Fleck recognizes that God is not for everyone. Without God where does your soul go at time of death? Is this what Fleck wants?
Um, not sure where you're going with this, but I'm saying PJ is smart enough - despite what his own beliefs may be - that one universal view about God or religion is not going to resonate or work for 120 players. Fleck wants his players to find THEIR OWN version of spirituality.

stocker08

Reaction score
That's the beauty of it, nobody knows. Just speak whatever you want into truth. The following week they should have an end Global Warming uniform too!
The resident Bison fan is definitely one of the posters who I knew would take issue with something like this. Go figure.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
By the look of things up in North Dakota, maybe you all need some more "Wear A Mask" billboards, eh?

Reactions: MRJ

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
I believe Maryland had statements on their jerseys when we played them.
Will get lost in all the bickering but checked out a highlight from the Maryland game and they had last names on the back of their jersey as far as I could tell.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
By the look of things up in North Dakota, maybe you all need some more "Wear A Mask" billboards, eh?
I had so much "LOL we don't have it" from ND folks I know living up there.

Me: "Bro that's not how infectious disease works...."

But man they were so sure it was a other places / new york type issue... now here we are.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
I had so much "LOL we don't have it" from ND folks I know living up there.

Me: "Bro that's not how infectious disease works...."

But man they were so sure it was a other places / new york type issue... now here we are.
Hey, but at least they got to show everyone how great their quarterback was by playing 1 meaningless game against a traveling Washington Generals-esque football team, right?

stocker08

Reaction score
Hey, but at least they got to show everyone how great their quarterback was by playing 1 meaningless game against a traveling Washington Generals-esque football team, right?
And for what? Doesn't everyone already want to spend their pick on Carson Wentz 2.0?

Top Bottom