"Today, A Federal Appeals Court Killed Free Speech on the Internet"

Gdizzle

Reaction score
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/fcc-free-speech-ruling

From the article:

"A federal appeals court ruled that the FCC can no longer enforce which websites Verizon and all other broadband providers can favor, limit access to, or outright block — even if it’s to prop up a service or website of their own.
This is not a binary political issue. It is not a Republican or Democrat issue.
This is naked corporate greed. It is a bunch of companies who want to control the largest free information platform in the world.
There is nothing good that an individual can derive from this decision. Nothing."

So my jimmies are pretty rustled about this. 2002 FCC reclassifies modem services as information services rather than telecommunication services, removing them from the purview of their oversight. The gentleman in charge of that decision is now the top cable industry lobbyist. Imagine the power company raising your rates for using the "wrong" vacuum cleaner. The water company restricting you to a "sponsored" garden hose or dish detergent just because they have leverage over you. It's bull****.
Whether you're selling a "tube" of electricity, water, or bandwidth, as common carriers they have no business extorting access to pad their profit margins.

howeda7

Reaction score
This is BS. I'm interested to hear 2's 'free market' defense of it.

Gdizzle

Reaction score
Some might respond that we can vote with our wallets by not choosing to purchase things cable from comcast or whatever. But it's literally the only option. Netflix doesn't cut it when I want to watch the Gophers.

Top Bottom