THEM by Ben Sasse

cncmin

Reaction score
For a seemingly intelligent person, it's difficult to take someone remotely seriously that would openly say support for the President of the United States is a "cult". You can usually do better than that
Serious question, how is Trumpism not a cult? What about Trumpism differs from a cult?

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
What else can you call pure, blind reverence to a leader? Your buddies on this site see a deft and calculated political maneuver every time our sundowning President misspeaks. That’s cultist behavior. Look at how CRG and bga1 spin everything he does into a positive. It’s pure delusion. As Jake pointed out, it’s the other side of the TDS coin.
Serious question, how is Trumpism not a cult? What about Trumpism differs from a cult?
I guess if you are saying that Obamaism is a cult and Schiffism is a cult, and AOC-ism is a cult, et al, then yes, I guess supporting the current Prez is considered a cult. I hadn't thought of it that way. I stand corrected.

bga1

Reaction score
I guess if you are saying that Obamaism is a cult and Schiffism is a cult, and AOC-ism is a cult, et al, then yes, I guess supporting the current Prez is considered a cult. I hadn't thought of it that way. I stand corrected.
CNNism recently lost cult status- too few viewers.

cncmin

Reaction score
There were some aspects of there being some sort of loose cult around Obama (but Schiffism?, wtf?), but I know you're smart enough to see the difference between Obama fans/cheer leaders and the 30-40% of Americans who idolize Trump and believe whatever lie or idiocy comes out of his mouth or his short, chubby fingers?

Bernie or AOC certainly would fall much closer to the line of "cult-leaders" than Obama; but their overall support is very small compared to that of Trumpists. I will note that I'm no fan of the extreme left, either. I am no fan of intransigence, period.

Last edited:

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
There were some aspects of there being some sort of loose cult around Obama, but you're smart enough to see the difference between Obama cheerers and those who idolize Trump and believe whatever lie or idiocy comes out of his mouth or his short, chubby fingers, right?
And therein lies the problem. Apparently you and many others classify anyone in the United States that did not vote for Hillary as one of these kinds of people. Like any other leader that has ever won an election across the planet, no doubt, Trump has people who believe and champion every notion that comes out of his mouth.

Congratulations for painting a massive sector of the country with such a broad brush. Well done.

cncmin

Reaction score
And therein lies the problem. Apparently you and many others classify anyone in the United States that did not vote for Hillary as one of these kinds of people. Like any other leader that has ever won an election across the planet, no doubt, Trump has people who believe and champion every notion that comes out of his mouth.

Congratulations for painting a massive sector of the country with such a broad brush. Well done.
Wrong, see my full post. Also, I would not tend to paint you as part of that. One can be a Trump supporter for many reasons, and some people see the lies of Trump, are disgusted by them, understand he is a terrible person and a bad President, can criticize him, yet will still vote for him for whatever personal reason. That's not a Trumpist. Yet, most Trump supporters are indeed Trumpists.

howeda7

Reaction score
There were some aspects of there being some sort of loose cult around Obama (but Schiffism?, wtf?), but I know you're smart enough to see the difference between Obama fans/cheer leaders and the 30-40% of Americans who idolize Trump and believe whatever lie or idiocy comes out of his mouth or his short, chubby fingers?

Bernie or AOC certainly would fall much closer to the line of "cult-leaders" than Obama; but their overall support is very small compared to that of Trumpists. I will note that I'm no fan of the extreme left, either. I am no fan of intransigence, period.
Schiff-ism made me chuckle. The Bernie Bros are the closest thing to the Trump cult on the left.

Section2

Reaction score
Schiff-ism made me chuckle. The Bernie Bros are the closest thing to the Trump cult on the left.
Not the people who cried when Obama was elected and thought the oceans would no longer rise? People support Trump and love him, any videos of people crying when he was elected? Any SNL teary eyed send offs?
Face it. You think Trumpism is a cult because you have no idea how anyone could possibly support him. Not that their behavior is any different than any partisan is with their president.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GopherJake

Reaction score
You really don’t understand the emotion of some folks to the election of Barry? Which is it? Are you just incredibly mentally deficient or just being an a-hole troll?

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
You really don’t understand the emotion of some folks to the election of Barry? Which is it? Are you just incredibly mentally deficient or just being an a-hole troll?
I'm sure I'll regret jumping in the middle of this but do you mean the negative emotion or positive emotion?

howeda7

Reaction score
There were people emotional when Obama got elected,both positive and negative, for obvious reasons. Almost any idiot could understand why. There was no significant group of people who thought "the oceans would no longer rise" or any similar BS. That was RW talking points.

There are a significant % of Trump voters who are blindly and absolutely devoted to him. No matter who he attacks, no matter what lie he tells, no matter how far he breaks from traditional Republican positions, they will defend him. Up is now down. Right is now left. That weather forecast? That meteorologist is wrong and must apologize. Dear Leader said it, so it's right.

Minnesota

Reaction score
Sure. Blind devotion to any politician is a sign of low intelligence.

Section2

Reaction score
Of course I do. Not all of it was because he was the first black president. You do realize many people believed he was messianic.

Section2

Reaction score
There were people emotional when Obama got elected,both positive and negative, for obvious reasons. Almost any idiot could understand why. There was no significant group of people who thought "the oceans would no longer rise" or any similar BS. That was RW talking points.

There are a significant % of Trump voters who are blindly and absolutely devoted to him. No matter who he attacks, no matter what lie he tells, no matter how far he breaks from traditional Republican positions, they will defend him. Up is now down. Right is now left. That weather forecast? That meteorologist is wrong and must apologize. Dear Leader said it, so it's right.
Obama himself said it?? Why would that be a RW talking point?

This is just an idiotic argument. People are no more blind and devoted to Trump than Obama. I've not even seen anyone defend the weather forecast. You immediately assume huge percentages believe him, rather than the more likely "I don't care".

howeda7

Reaction score
"Many people." So many people. So Trumpian.

justthefacts

Reaction score
yes, I know what you're saying.

I don't know that I agree with that assessment of McConnell. Is the president setting the legislative agenda somehow unique? What did Harry Reid push that Obama wasn't behind? Who pushed Obamacare? And there's nothing wrong with a president and his party in the senate working together to set the agenda. Why would that be unconstitutional? There are certain big ticket items that require the presidents support. There's a lot of other stuff that gets done that Trump is probably not aware of.
Maybe I wasn't clear:

A) Nothing wrong with the President and Senate working together. My point is that Trump is not pushing a Conservative agenda and McConnell goes along with it. This big-spending, protectionist approach is not Conservative.

B) It's not that it's unconstitutional. The idea is that Constitutional Conservatives believe in the primacy of the Legislative branch. McConnell has no interest. The national emergency is proof.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Trumpers hate Sasse b/c of his criticism of Trump’s behavior. But, he calls them like he sees them. He is not “establishment” b/c he’s pretty new to Wash DC, so that’s a label that doesn’t fit.

I like Sasse as he seems like he’s genuine and sincere, and I agree with much, if not most, of his politics.

Hard to argue with his desire for civility and perspective, but Trump is a reaction to the Left’s domination of the media and information flow. The Right is tired of having their values questioned and character demeaned. If Democrats, like Obama and Reid and the MSM, weren’t such arrogant pricks, Trump would never have been elected.

Wally

Reaction score
And? I stand by my post. Not by others characterizations of Sasse, though those comments may be his actual beliefs. I don’t know and I don’t care. I don’t care what Mitt Romney thinks either.
Yes you're free to be an idiot and you will exercise that freedom to its full extent,👍👍👍👍😆😆😆

Texas-Gopher

Reaction score
I don't think supporting conservatism should be confused with supporting Trump as an individual. Standing up to liberal nazis should definitely not be confused with supporting Trump.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I don't think supporting conservatism should be confused with supporting Trump as an individual. Standing up to liberal nazis should definitely not be confused with supporting Trump.
Yeah, there is this fantasy that “good people” in the GOP would take the President to task and withhold support, because they too see him as awful. It isn’t going to happen. It’s like wishing you were eating at Murray’s, getting a Hungry Man frozen dinner, and being asked to have a cup o soup. If you don’t eat the dessert first and burn the roof of your mouth, the Hungry Man isn’t bad.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Back to Ben Sasse and his attempt to be honest and unifying rather than having a "them" mentality.

Donald Trump on Saturday fired back at fellow Republican Ben Sasse after the Nebraska senator was recorded chastising the president during a town hall earlier this week.

The least effective of our 53 Republican Senators, and a person who truly doesn’t have what it takes to be great, is Little Ben Sasse of Nebraska,” Trump tweeted, calling him a "liability" to their party.

While Trump has never shied away from responding to criticism, his attacks on Sasse come amid dismal poll numbers that threaten to imperil his presidency and Republicans’ slim majority in the Senate, as well as further efforts from Republicans nationwide to distance themselves from the incumbent president.

Trump continued to lay into Sasse, who has voted regularly to support the president’s agenda but also spoken out against his actions, by accusing the senator of being a “RINO” (Republican in name only) who only felt empowered to speak up after winning his own primary.

James Wegmann, a spokesman for Sasse, responded to Trump’s tweets, saying the senator has voiced the same remarks he made to constituents to the president directly.

“Ben is focused on defending the Republican Senate majority, and he's not going to waste a single minute on tweets,” Wegmann said.

The leaked nine-minute recording of Sasse's remarks during a telephone town hall with his constituents Wednesday was first reported by the Washington Examiner and later confirmed by his office.

“I’m now looking at the possibility of a Republican blood bath in the Senate, and that’s why I’ve never been on the Trump train,” Sasse reportedly said during the call. “It’s why I didn’t agree to be on his re-election committee, and it’s why I’m not campaigning for him.”

During the call, Sasse also laid into the president for turning a blind eye to human rights and treating the Covid-19 pandemic "like a PR crisis."

"The way he kisses dictators' butts. I mean, the way he ignores that the Uyghurs are in literal concentration camps in Xinjiang right now. He hasn't lifted a finger on behalf of the Hong Kongers," Sasse said. "He mocks evangelicals behind closed doors. His family has treated the presidency like a business opportunity. He's flirted with White supremacists."

In May, Sasse handily defeated his Republican challenger Matt Innis, a Trump loyalist, winning 75 percent of the primary vote.

Sasse is widely expected to cruise to re-election in November after his Democratic opponent, Chris Janicek, was disavowed by his party for sending sexually charged messages to a campaign staffer.

Trump endorsed Sasse in Sept. 2019.

Texas-Gopher

Reaction score
Yeah, there is this fantasy that “good people” in the GOP would take the President to task and withhold support, because they too see him as awful. It isn’t going to happen. It’s like wishing you were eating at Murray’s, getting a Hungry Man frozen dinner, and being asked to have a cup o soup. If you don’t eat the dessert first and burn the roof of your mouth, the Hungry Man isn’t bad.
I can't suddenly become a nutbag liberal because the repub president is a tool.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I can't suddenly become a nutbag liberal because the repub president is a tool.
Yeah, I get it. And it doesn’t mean all the rules are thrown out, either. The whole impeachment thing was a waste of time.
I still think he’s a tool, but I’d rather he be allowed to reveal that on his own instead of trying to take away his loud orange angry voice. Combat just feeds this guy, and general fairness applies to everyone,supposedly.

Last edited:

Wally

Reaction score
During the call, Sasse also laid into the president for turning a blind eye to human rights and treating the Covid-19 pandemic "like a PR crisis."

"The way he kisses dictators' butts. I mean, the way he ignores that the Uyghurs are in literal concentration camps in Xinjiang right now. He hasn't lifted a finger on behalf of the Hong Kongers," Sasse said. "He mocks evangelicals behind closed doors. His family has treated the presidency like a busine
I would vote for Sasse

Top Bottom