THEM by Ben Sasse

MennoSota

Reaction score
Are any of you familiar with Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse? A friend recommended his book entitled "Them."
Sasse is an Ivy League and Oxford-educated Republican who many think aspires to the presidency. He has published his thoughts before and he now offers his prescription for how America can “heal”. Among other things, he urges us to put political tribalism on the backburner, to rediscover “human-to-human relationships”, to seek out community and to love our neighbors. Suffice to say, all this is easier said than done.

What makes "Them" worth the read is Sasse’s amalgam of realistic alarm and warning. In his words, “we are in a period of unprecedented upheaval. Community is collapsing, anxiety is building, and we’re distracting ourselves with artificial political hatreds.”

“That can’t endure” writes Sasse. “And if it does, America won’t.”
Seems Sasse is a Republican who decrys President Trump and thinks Trump is bad for society.
What are your thoughts?

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
he urges us to put political tribalism on the backburner, to rediscover “human-to-human relationships”, to seek out community and to love our neighbors. Suffice to say, all this is easier said than done.

What makes "Them" worth the read is Sasse’s amalgam of realistic alarm and warning. In his words, “we are in a period of unprecedented upheaval. Community is collapsing, anxiety is building, and we’re distracting ourselves with artificial political hatreds.”
Non-sense. Sasse obviously hasn’t read this forum. It’s all hugs and kisses.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Trumpers hate Sasse b/c of his criticism of Trump’s behavior. But, he calls them like he sees them. He is not “establishment” b/c he’s pretty new to Wash DC, so that’s a label that doesn’t fit.

I like Sasse as he seems like he’s genuine and sincere, and I agree with much, if not most, of his politics.

Hard to argue with his desire for civility and perspective, but Trump is a reaction to the Left’s domination of the media and information flow. The Right is tired of having their values questioned and character demeaned. If Democrats, like Obama and Reid and the MSM, weren’t such arrogant pricks, Trump would never have been elected.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Sasse is a phony. There isn't a single senator who opposes Trump, and he votes with Trump on everything.

His book is empty words thst ring hollow because his actions don't back any of it up. His desire for power and to stay in the GOP good graces is more important to him. His principles are weak.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Sasse is a phony. There isn't a single senator who opposes Trump, and he votes with Trump on everything.

His book is empty words thst ring hollow because his actions don't back any of it up. His desire for power and to stay in the GOP good graces is more important to him. His principles are weak.
He’s no John McCain or Jeff Flake, but he hasn’t voted as consistently with Trump as most GOP Senators. Sasse vehemently opposes Trump’s Trade strategy.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/

Sasse’s biggest issue with Trump is not as much political as personal.

MennoSota

Reaction score

Have you read his book or is this just your reaction?

jamiche

Reaction score

Agreed. He’s just like Flake. Expresses “concern” about Trump and what he’s doing to the country and votes with him every time. I’d prefer to deal with the rest of the repub caucus that makes no pretense about its greed, racism and anti-democratic inclinations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cncmin

Reaction score
Yes. He doesn't practice what he preaches. Phony.
Sadly, I agree with this, although admittedly I’m a big fan of the WORDS said by both Sasse and Flake. They say the right things but lack the bravery to follow through.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Yes. He doesn't practice what he preaches. Phony.
The review says he's voted with Trump 85% of the time. Do you think all the things Trump has done are bad for society? I don't think you are pro-Trump if you vote your conscience and it turns up 85% of what the right thinks is good.

Sportsfan24

Reaction score
Trumpers hate Sasse b/c of his criticism of Trump’s behavior. But, he calls them like he sees them. He is not “establishment” b/c he’s pretty new to Wash DC, so that’s a label that doesn’t fit.

I like Sasse as he seems like he’s genuine and sincere, and I agree with much, if not most, of his politics.

Hard to argue with his desire for civility and perspective, but Trump is a reaction to the Left’s domination of the media and information flow. The Right is tired of having their values questioned and character demeaned. If Democrats, like Obama and Reid and the MSM, weren’t such arrogant pricks, Trump would never have been elected.
Obama is an uppity n1gger?
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-moss/code-word-is-arrogance_b_5401476.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Section2

Reaction score
Obama is an uppity n1gger?
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-moss/code-word-is-arrogance_b_5401476.html

Reid? I love “code words” and dog whistles. They are basically “straw men” when you think about it.

I like what Sasse says, but I was very disappointed at how he disappeared during the Kavanaugh debacle despite being on the judiciary committee. He may indeed be a total phony. Still wouldn’t put him in with Flake who is a dink.

howeda7

Reaction score

+1. Sasse says the right things, but his actions prove him an "empty barrel" as John Kelly would say. Actually show a spine and stand up to Trump and then maybe your writing will be worth reading.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
I think Sasse is another milquetoast, run-of-the mill Republican, along the lines of a McCabe or Romney. A paper-tiger conservative, funded by a slew of powerful corporate interests.

With that in mind, his opposition to tariffs & the USMCA, raise my eyebrow. He comes off like a mouthpiece for the Chamber of Commerce, when he speaks. The CoC is just a massive clearinghouse for corporate and foreign lobbying money. What is their agenda? Profits first, or America first? What is Sasse's?

jamiche

Reaction score
I think Sasse is another milquetoast, run-of-the mill Republican, along the lines of a McCabe or Romney. A paper-tiger conservative, funded by a slew of powerful corporate interests.

With that in mind, his opposition to tariffs & the USMCA, raise my eyebrow. He comes off like a mouthpiece for the Chamber of Commerce, when he speaks. The CoC is just a massive clearinghouse for corporate and foreign lobbying money. What is their agenda? Profits first, or America first? What is Sasse's?
Your concern about foreign lobbying money is amusing and ironic.

diehard

Reaction score
Sasse has been an #neverTrump from day 1. He likely will go the way of Flake and Corker. He has made himself insignificant with everyone except the other #neverTrumpers.

God

Banned
Reaction score

You got a monobrow? Sad.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Your concern about foreign lobbying money is amusing and ironic.

Corporate lobbying money is more important still. They've always been a main concern of mine, as documented here on GH going back well over a decade. It's part of the reason I support Trump, since the corporations have been fighting him the whole way and gave more than 99% of their donations to the Democrat candidate.

cncmin

Reaction score
Corporate lobbying money is more important still. They've always been a main concern of mine, as documented here on GH going back well over a decade. It's part of the reason I support Trump, since the corporations have been fighting him the whole way and gave more than 99% of their donations to the Democrat candidate.
Yeah, so you are a farce, after all. Congrats, troll. You had me thinking you were extremely deluded for years, and for that I feel as sick as I do being a MN sports fan. Admittedly, for being a farce, you're not the least bit funny. See "Good as Gold" and "God", or even Dean or "Howeda" for lessons on combining farce with comedy.

Last edited:

MennoSota

Reaction score
16 posts on topic before the dumpster fire. Not bad.

Cruze

Reaction score

LMAO. You don't hate corporations, Costa. You just hate "globalist" corporations. Otherwise, you couldn't care less about the countless ways that corporations screw the average American citizen.

Nearly 70 Percent of Trump’s Picks for Top Administration Jobs Have Corporate Ties

President Donald Trump has packed his administration with corporate executives, corporate lawyers, corporate lobbyists and corporate consultants, directly contradicting his pledge to upend the “failed and corrupt” political establishment, according to a new report issued today by Public Citizen.

The Public Citizen analysis of 115 sub-Cabinet officials nominated or announced by the White House reveals extensive ties to corporate America.

Of the White House’s nominees for these jobs, 80 people, or nearly 70 percent of sub-Cabinet officials, had a clear corporate connection, having worked in a corporate job or done corporate legal work or corporate consulting. The remaining 35 had no direct corporate ties, though many are nevertheless ideologically committed to a deregulatory agenda that would benefit powerful corporate interests at consumers’ expense.

https://www.commondreams.org/newswi...s-top-administration-jobs-have-corporate-ties

Trump Administration Spares Corporate Wrongdoers Billions in Penalties

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/us/trump-sec-doj-corporate-penalties.html

Trump backs CEOs, proposes easing corporate reporting rules

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...asing-corporate-reporting-rules-idUSKBN1L217G

President Trump’s Tax Plan Primarily Benefits the Wealthy and Large Corporations, Says NWLC

https://nwlc.org/press-releases/pre...the-wealthy-and-large-corporations-says-nwlc/

Trump's war on regulations has corporations jumping for joy. But what's the long-term impact?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busi...peech-regulations-robert-reed-0204-story.html

The Trump administration’s huge gift to foreign-owned corporations

https://friends-bwca.org/2018/09/the-trump-administrations-huge-gift-to-foreign-owned-corporations/

The Trump Administration Will Always Side With Corporations Over Labor

https://truthout.org/articles/the-t...ill-always-side-with-corporations-over-labor/

Last edited:

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
LMAO. You don't hate corporations, Costa. You just hate "globalist" corporations. Otherwise, you couldn't care less about the countless ways that corporations screw the average American citizen.

Nearly 70 Percent of Trump’s Picks for Top Administration Jobs Have Corporate Ties

President Donald Trump has packed his administration with corporate executives, corporate lawyers, corporate lobbyists and corporate consultants, directly contradicting his pledge to upend the “failed and corrupt” political establishment, according to a new report issued today by Public Citizen.

The Public Citizen analysis of 115 sub-Cabinet officials nominated or announced by the White House reveals extensive ties to corporate America.

Of the White House’s nominees for these jobs, 80 people, or nearly 70 percent of sub-Cabinet officials, had a clear corporate connection, having worked in a corporate job or done corporate legal work or corporate consulting. The remaining 35 had no direct corporate ties, though many are nevertheless ideologically committed to a deregulatory agenda that would benefit powerful corporate interests at consumers’ expense.

https://www.commondreams.org/newswi...s-top-administration-jobs-have-corporate-ties

Trump Administration Spares Corporate Wrongdoers Billions in Penalties

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/us/trump-sec-doj-corporate-penalties.html

Trump backs CEOs, proposes easing corporate reporting rules

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...asing-corporate-reporting-rules-idUSKBN1L217G

President Trump’s Tax Plan Primarily Benefits the Wealthy and Large Corporations, Says NWLC

https://nwlc.org/press-releases/pre...the-wealthy-and-large-corporations-says-nwlc/

Trump's war on regulations has corporations jumping for joy. But what's the long-term impact?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busi...peech-regulations-robert-reed-0204-story.html

The Trump administration’s huge gift to foreign-owned corporations

https://friends-bwca.org/2018/09/the-trump-administrations-huge-gift-to-foreign-owned-corporations/

The Trump Administration Will Always Side With Corporations Over Labor

https://truthout.org/articles/the-t...ill-always-side-with-corporations-over-labor/
Remember when you used to claim you were better than everyone because you had never been banned, and then they banned you on your old moniker?

What's really sad is you created Cruze as a sock puppet to also argue your same viewpoints as your banned moniker. You also posted under both at the same time.

That says a lot about you.

diehard

Reaction score
FWIW (not much), he was banned under multiple previous monikers.

jamiche

Reaction score
You were supposedly concerned about corporate money until Trump came along. You support the most bought and paid for administration in American history.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score

Like pooping on the floor to encourage an unwanted guest to leave. It works, but you get to stay with poop on the floor.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Like pooping on the floor to encourage an unwanted guest to leave. It works, but you get to stay with poop on the floor.
This may be 2018s oddest analogy. Been saving this one for New Year's Eve have we? [emoji16]

LesBolstad

Reaction score
FWIW (not much), he was banned under multiple previous monikers.
Ha, just like that doosh who now goes by "God".

Close circuit to those that get banned and then get a new moniker: you are total tools.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
No one on this forum is more concerned about corporate lobbying and influence in our government than I am. No one. That said, I don't hate corporations and I don't hope they fail. I hope they succeed wildly, so long as they take the US along with them.

None of the posts intended to prove me wrong, proved me wrong. I don't want them running our country via lobbying and cronyism, but not every move that helps corporations is corrupt. In order to reverse 30+ years of globalism and weakening America, we have to make it feasible for the corporations to shift their business back to the US. It's give and take. It's the 'Art of the deal'.

You have to be mature enough to separate cronyism, from creating a level playing field. You have to be mature enough, to understand the POTUS's job is to create an environment where corporations can soar, but not at the expense of our country or our workers. Both sides have to win. As I've explained ad nauseum, if Mexico has a net corporate tax rate of about 35%, with no regulations and the USA has a net corporate tax rate of 50%, with burdensome regulations, where are corporations going to invest, bank and do business? Use your heads. Trump HAD to do these things to create a level playing field.

As for appointing people with corporate ties in his admin, there's way too many for my liking. Certainly no more than Obama (the most corporate crony POTUS in history), or Bush though. The reality is that every POTUS is forced to dip into the corporate pool for talent, because that's where the talent is. It's certainly not in government. What you have to be careful of, is those people working for their corporations, rather than the country.

Top Bottom