The Typical Trump Derangement Cycle

bga1

Reaction score
This is a hilarious but spot on article reviewing the various Trump freak outs and how they have come out.

To learn about standard trump derangement syndrome watch the article closely for these phases:
1. The news event and accusations of impeachment level offenses
2. The media expansion phase- with additional accusations and assumptions
3. The "we got him- he's done now" phase
4. The fact based stage where we find that stages 1-3 were crazy
5. The "Russia!!!" phase where people attempt to loop back to Russian collusion
6. The reality phase- "well, even if it was the right thing, they didn't do it the right way...

Every time the Washington political press freaks out and goes into full panic mode against President Trump, the blockbuster, Watergate-volume story always unfolds the same way.
(1) First, the news starts leaking or breaking. Newsrooms from the Potomac to the Hudson become seized and fixated on every morsel of the delicious story. News flashes zing around the internet.

(2)Then it hits cable television and the press starts slinging the most salacious and scandalous accusations they can whip up, charging the president with the highest crimes imaginable.

Each time, these reporters sink deeper and deeper into a fantasyland as they dream bigger and bigger. (3)THIS TIME, they keep thinking, we FINALLY got him!
Reporters and Democrats alike — not to repeat myself — are actually now speculating about whether Mr. Trump will survive the certain impeachment hearings to come.

(4)But then, as the heavy breathing subsides and the adrenaline rush gives way to factual, concrete reporting, the most damning charges fall away.

Turns out Mr. Trump is a germaphobe and wasn’t in that Russian hotel room.

The bust of Martin Luther King is still in the Oval Office.

He didn’t abandon conservatives by naming his sister to the Supreme Court.

Mr. Trump’s Tower — and people involved in his campaign — were, in fact, surveilled.

Slowly, agonizingly, Truth becomes very inconvenient for all these people predicting Mr. Trump’s certain demise.

In the end, they are all left clinging to the smallest Styrofoam shard of their original story, bobbing in the harsh sea of Donald Trump Derangement Syndrome.

The last remaining wastrels pontificating about the “scandal” formerly larger than Watergate are left with just one flimsy accusation.

“Well, he could have handled it better,” they sniff. “He didn’t follow Washington political protocol.”

Are you freaking kidding me? It all starts with charges of high crimes and misdemeanors — impeachment imminent — and when it all turns out to be fake news these people walk away grumbling about how Mr. Trump could have handled it better?

Just look at this latest “Watergate” scandal.

The upshot is that Mr. Trump finally fired a man who every single person in all of Washington, except perhaps James B. Comey’s wife, has said at one time or another in the past year should have been fired.

Why was he fired? For all the reasons every single person in Washington has stated at one point or another during the past year.

But if you are among the legions around here suffering from Donald Trump Derangement Syndrome, it is always much more sinister.

(5)Russia!

The FBI was closing in on Donald Trump’s sordid connections to the Russians! (Minus the laughably debunked Moscow hotel room scandal that was one of Mr. Trump’s previous “Watergate” scandals.)

The FBI had just asked for more money to pursue the Trump-Russia connection, we were breathlessly told. Subpoenas were just being issued to known associates of known associates of President Trump!

So incensed by the lies of the scandal’s cover-up, it was reported, that a top official in the Justice Department was threatening to quit in protest rather than carry on working for such a criminal in the White House.

And then inconvenient reality unfolds again.

One by one, each of these blockbusters came under clouds of scrutiny. Nobody quits in protest.

By Thursday morning, the whole scandal had substantially come unraveled.

At a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, Chairman Chuck Grassley, Iowa Republican, said he and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the ranking Democrat on the committee, had recently met with Mr. Comey and came away with the clear impression that, in fact, Mr. Trump is not a target of any investigation by the FBI.

“Sen. Feinstein and I heard nothing that contradicted the president’s statement,” he said.

And in a stunning display of nonpartisanship, Mrs. Feinstein agreed.

(6) Well, OK. But the White House should have handled it better.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/05/12/nuclear-option-comeygate-latest-fake-news-hysteria-trumprussia-conspiracists/

diehard

Reaction score
Two weeks ago, Trump was Hitler. Today he is Nixon. On the way to he could have handled it better.

bga1

Reaction score
They do need to clean up their communications act a bit...:)

diehard

Reaction score
Written releases with a bi-weekly presser by Trump would be great. The media isn't honestly reporting anything.

bga1

Reaction score
Written releases with a bi-weekly presser by Trump would be great. The media isn't honestly reporting anything.
We are accustomed to neatly packaged politicians. Trump is spontaneous, and says what he thinks. It's a nightmare for the spokespeople to be perfectly in sync with Trump.

bga1

Reaction score
Looks like we are going to run through the Trump derangement cycle again. This one could go quickly though as we are already in stage 4 finding that the accusations are crazy and not fact based.....Another day- another lefty freakout.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
The true TDS is when Trump loses his shit over stuff like this:

stocker08

Reaction score
Agree. I happen to believe Trump is the best president since Reagan, but frustrating when he expresses himself with words that should be beneath him.
He sure yam. (y)

LesBolstad

Reaction score
He sure yam. (y)

Policy NOT personality my boy stroker. Say it with me: policy not personality.

One thing we are learning is that there's no doubt Obama is among the worst if not the worst president in history. Very sad what that admin. did.

Reactions: SDR

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Does "policy not personality" still work for Biden?

golf

Reaction score

One thing we are learning is that there's no doubt Obama is among the worst if not the worst president in history. Very sad what that admin. did.
He sure yam. (y)

Yea, the country will always be split down the middle regarding presidents.
Would be nice if we gave as much power as possible to the states. That way states like California can have open borders, gun restrictions, free health care, paid abortion, no ICE, 15 dollar or more minimum wage, higher taxes, etc. Conservative states could do their thing as well. Liberals who live in conservative states could move where they would be much happier and vice versa. President would be limited to things like foreign policy and interstate commerce. Each state would be test tubes, trying different things and hopefully learning from each other. Would be nice if we weren't at each other's throats all the time because Washington DC controls so much of our lives.
(This was meant as a reply to Stocker, not sure how Les was included

stocker08

Reaction score

Yup. President Yam has worst policy in the history of the U.S. Simply the worst president ever. Obama will be fondly remembered. Trump will be remembered as a cautionary tale of what happens when you elect an idiot and praise his stupidity.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Part of the problem is that there is no more "middle" in American Politics. There is no nuance and no grey area.

Everything has to be "Trump is 100% Wrong!" or "Trump is 100% Right!"

and that is just not realistic. Even bad presidents - and we've have a few - get a few things right. And even good presidents get a few things wrong.

From a Conservative standpoint, Trump has met some of his goals - or Conservative goals- a tax cut, deregulation, and the big kahuna, Conservative Judges on the Supreme Court and federal district courts.

Other goals have not been met - i.e. "repeal and replace Obamacare," infrastructure, etc.

And to some extent, it is an issue of style vs substance. if Trump acted like a traditional President, he would be viewed very differently. Most of what people call TDS is in reaction to things that are non-policy related - the tweeting, insults, and general boorish behavior.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
POLICY?!?!?

What exactly is Trump's policy on the pandemic?

— It's a liberal hoax?
— It's a mild flu?
— We'll have 15 cases, going down to zero?
— It will disappear, like... a miracle?
— China invented it in a lab?
— Testing is overrated?
— Disinfectants, used internally, could be a solution?

How would you describe Trump's policy on this crisis?

Goldteam

Reaction score
POLICY?!?!?

— It's a liberal hoax?
— It's a mild flu?
— It will disappear, like
— Testing is overrated?

Demtards must have thought all of those were true, because they ain't done schit in their states to solve anything.

golf

Reaction score
POLICY?!?!?

— It's a liberal hoax?
— It's a mild flu?
— It will disappear, like... a miracle?
— Testing is overrated?

A sampling of Trump's critics:
- Pelosi introduced a bill in House to disallow Trump's China travel ban.
- Pelosi encouraged everyone to come out and take part in China town celebration at end of February.
- Cuomo decided not to purchase additional ventilators in 2015.
- End of February DeBlasio encouraged people to live normal lives, even to continue riding the subway.
- Cuomo sent older cv victims back to senior care facilities.
- End of February WHO said cv wasnt serious enuf to require travel bans.
- Not even sure where to begin with China's abysmal performance.

Was Trump's response perfect? Of course not. However, in context, he did well.

Goldteam

Reaction score
MAGA

Trying to put america first, and not rely on everyone else(China for example).

How is that looking now?

Goldteam

Reaction score
A sampling of Trump's critics:
- Pelosi introduced a bill in House to disallow Trump's China travel ban.
- Pelosi encouraged everyone to come out and take part in China town celebration at end of February.
- Cuomo decided not to purchase additional ventilators in 2015.
- End of February DeBlasio encouraged people to live normal lives, even to continue riding the subway.
- Cuomo sent older cv victims back to senior care facilities.
- End of February WHO said cv wasnt serious enuf to require travel bans.
- Not even sure where to begin with China's abysmal performance.

Was Trump's response perfect? Of course not. However, in context, he did well.
Dems were all mocking the virus into March.

They can all sit down and shut up!

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Part of the problem is that there is no more "middle" in American Politics. There is no nuance and no grey area.
Depends on what you mean by "middle." There's definitely a middle when it comes to political philosophy and preferences. There isn't a very big middle when it comes to tribalism. The overwhelming majority of people side with one tribe or the other. Independents may be a big block when it comes to self-identification but the majority of them are de facto allies of one of the tribes.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score

Everything has to be "Trump is 100% Wrong!" or "Trump is 100% Right!"

and that is just not realistic. Even bad presidents - and we've have a few - get a few things right. And even good presidents get a few things wrong.

From a Conservative standpoint, Trump has met some of his goals - or Conservative goals- a tax cut, deregulation, and the big kahuna, Conservative Judges on the Supreme Court and federal district courts.

Other goals have not been met - i.e. "repeal and replace Obamacare," infrastructure, etc.

And to some extent, it is an issue of style vs substance. if Trump acted like a traditional President, he would be viewed very differently. Most of what people call TDS is in reaction to things that are non-policy related - the tweeting, insults, and general boorish behavior.
Both-sidesing Trump is a fool's errand.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Both-sidesing Trump is a fool's errand.
My point is that IF Trump just acted like a traditional president, he would just be a routine conservative president doing conservative President things. he would not be the lightning rod that he is now.

Democrats disagree with a lot of what GW Bush did, but you did not have a constant stream of vitriol directed at Bush like there is with Trump. Yes, people criticized the Gulf War, but you did not have this 24/7 stream of rage.

In other words, the vast majority of the anti-Trump sentiment is based on personality, not policy.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
"In other words, the vast majority of the anti-Trump sentiment is based on personality, not policy."

Trump has no policy. Trump's entire presidency is built around a cult of personality.

I'll ask again: what is Trump's COVID policy?

I don't know if Trump has noticed, but we have a little bit of a situation going on here. We're heading toward 100,000 deaths in the near future (we're leading the world), and our economy has taken a huge hit (with more trouble on the horizon).

Would you say that Trump has shown strong leadership in his response? Would you say he has articulated a clear policy?

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
My point is that IF Trump just acted like a traditional president, he would just be a routine conservative president doing conservative President things. he would not be the lightning rod that he is now.

Democrats disagree with a lot of what GW Bush did, but you did not have a constant stream of vitriol directed at Bush like there is with Trump. Yes, people criticized the Gulf War, but you did not have this 24/7 stream of rage.

In other words, the vast majority of the anti-Trump sentiment is based on personality, not policy.
Simply not true. I could put up with an eccentric personality if he wasn't the worst person in the world doing the worst things imaginable. To describe it all as conventional conservative policies is simply false.

And if you don't remember the vitriol directed at the Bush nightmare, I can't help you. There are still countries on the earth that will arrest Bush or Cheney the minute they step on their soil for war crimes.

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Simply not true. I could put up with an eccentric personality if he wasn't the worst person in the world doing the worst things imaginable. To describe it all as conventional conservative policies is simply false.

And if you don't remember the vitriol directed at the Bush nightmare, I can't help you. There are still countries on the earth that will arrest Bush or Cheney the minute they step on their soil for war crimes.
Bad TDS today. Must be that time of the month. Dude, take a couple days off from here- you're driving yourself nuts.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Bad TDS today. Must be that time of the month. Dude, take a couple days off from here- you're driving yourself nuts.
I really do like you, so stop trying so hard.

The base line for "conservative politics" is probably Ronald Reagan and his administration. Love it or hate it--and many would say it was a damaging turning point in American history--he generally took a principled approach using a politically conservative ideology. And I know, there was Iran/Contra; and there was Grenada, the gateway drug to aggressive/preventive war; and there was firing the air traffic controllers when a much less reckless path could have been found; and James Watt opened the door to making policy decisions based on apocalyptic Christian theology; and I'm probably forgetting a whole host of other follies, but... It's a long way from the Reagan administration to where we are now, and I think practically all reasonable and thinking people can agree on that.

Top Bottom