The Sinking Ship of Gavin Newsom

John Galt

Reaction score
David Siders and Carla Marinucci of Politico takes a long look at the growing effort to recall Governor Gavin Newsom in California, and the dark clouds over the Newsom administration in general. The whole article is worth reading, but a key point is that it’s not difficult to find Democrats getting increasingly frustrated with the performance of the state’s government:

“I don’t think Californians can understand why we have hundreds of thousands of doses sitting there, and they’re not being administered,’’ said Garry South, a Democratic strategist who advised Newsom’s 2010 gubernatorial campaign and was a senior adviser to Davis. “California’s been through nearly 10 months of hell, and now there’s potentially a light at the end of tunnel with these vaccines — but it doesn’t do anybody any good if they’re not administered.”
“You’ve got to get these vaccinations in people’s arms,” he said.
You don’t have to be an anti-vaxxer or “fluther” to notice that California has enacted some of the strictest restrictions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 . . . and the state’s caseload and daily number of new deaths are still spectacularly high — if the pandemic has stopped getting worse, it doesn’t seem to be getting much better. The state is imposing massive economic pain, for minimally discernible public-health gain.

But another key point in Politico’s article is that for Democratic governors, life under Biden may actually be tougher than life under Trump: “The frame of reference through which Californians view Newsom is about to change dramatically when Joe Biden replaces Donald Trump in the White House. No longer benefiting from a reliable foil in Washington, the bar of public approval for Newsom — and for Democratic governors across the country — is likely to be raised.” As Greg and I discussed on the just-taped Three Martini Lunch, Donald Trump’s departure is about to make life a little bit more difficult for every Democratic officeholder.

If you’re a Democrat, you’ve had the cheapest, easiest applause line imaginable for the past four (really five or six) years, some variation of “Donald Trump stinks.” Opposition to Trump was the one giant issue that united the center-left, the woke, economic liberals, social liberals, the Democratic establishment, Bernie Bros, you name it. Among the Democrats, Trump was and is the worst villain imaginable, the cause of all troubles, the ultimate scapegoat.

And later this month . . . Trump’s gone, at least from public office. Being “not Trump” or opposed to Trump won’t be enough anymore; over time, an officeholder’s opposition to Trump will become less and less relevant. The fights of this presidency will fade. (Remember that the Democratic Senate nominee in Kansas didn’t know what the Patriot Act was.) In 2009, Jon Corzine and Creigh Deeds spent a lot of time bashing George W. Bush on the campaign trail. They both lost in November.

Without Trump as a punching bag, governors such as Gavin Newsom will need to build public support on their own merits. Judging from the vaccine rollout in many states, that’s going to be a lot more difficult.

The Sinking Ship of Gavin Newsom | National Review

John Galt

Reaction score
The Covid numbers in California are far worse than Florida or Texas, despite having some of the most stringent lockdown rules in the country. Californian's are getting close to having him recalled.

Governor Gavin Newsom recall campaign gains momentum, supporters host signature collection drive in Bay Area - ABC7 San Francisco (abc7news.com)

Recall campaign against once-popular Gov. Newsom gains momentum

Saturday, January 2, 2021
https://abc7news.com/watch/

A campaign is gaining momentum to recall Gov. Gavin Newsom based off of how he has handled the pandemic.

DUBLIN, Calif. (KGO) -- A campaign is gaining momentum to recall Gov. Gavin Newsom based off of how he has handled the pandemic.

Newsom originally received some praise for his aggressive approach with the nation's first stay-at-home order last spring. But there is growing criticism over extensions to the order, and his admission last month that he dined at an opulent restaurant in Napa Valley while telling state residents to spurn social gatherings and stay home. The public shaming continues for his ill-advised dinner at the French Laundry, an establishment that features a white truffle and caviar dinner for $1,200 per person.

Photos of the Napa dinner - a birthday party for a Newsom confidante who also is a lobbyist - emerged showing the governor without a mask at a time when he was imploring people not to socialize with friends and wear a face covering when going out and around others.

Economy said there was a surge of several hundred thousand petition signatures after Newsom's restaurant debacle. "It has resonated. It's about the arrogance of power," he said.

Newsom appears to be getting on campaign footing. He has hired veteran Capitol insider Jim DeBoo as a senior adviser, which could help him repair frayed relationships with legislators and bring sharper political instincts to his office. Newsom also just named Dee Dee Myers, a former Warner Bros. executive and White House press secretary for President Bill Clinton, as director of the Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development.

The prospect of a recall election is reviving memories of California's circus-like 2003 recall, in which voters installed Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor after deposing the unpopular Democrat Gray Davis. There were 135 candidates on the ballot, including Hustler publisher Larry Flynt and former child actor Gary Coleman.

If the recall qualifies, Newsom would be forced to fend off rivals in the midst of a pandemic that has cost the state millions of jobs, cored government budgets and upended life for nearly 40 million residents.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Great piñata to try and deflect from 1/6; not saying it doesn't have merit (I honestly don't know and don't have the interest or time to figure it out), but this is an old trope to try and change the focus.

John Galt

Reaction score
Great piñata to try and deflect from 1/6; not saying it doesn't have merit (I honestly don't know and don't have the interest or time to figure it out), but this is an old trope to try and change the focus.
Are you the Facebook and Twitter of Gopherhole - telling us which threads deserve to be posted? Maybe you can contact the mods and they will have this removed.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Are you the Facebook and Twitter of Gopherhole - telling us which threads deserve to be posted? Maybe you can contact the mods and they will have this removed.
Sorry snuggle bunny I'll be more gentle with you next time when I point out your obvious gambits.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Newsom is a snake.

Demographics have changed so much it’s difficult to see a moderate gaining power in CA but stranger things have happened. It wasn’t all that long ago The Terminator was elected on a moderate platform. My .02 is the GOP will need to moderate quite a bit...or the leanings of the Latino vote will have to change but that’s a generational thing subject to the same dynamics as anywhere else. The kids are indoctrinated and won’t find their own way for years. Newsom will continue to buy votes and get backstopped by Biden bailout dollars and higher fees and taxes on upper and moderate income voters, most likely.

The problem with Hindenbergs like Newsom is all the collateral damage. We should all hope Biden, or Newsom, or Walz, or Trump succeed because total failure is not acceptable.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Stop making others click on, read, and then post in your threads.

John Galt

Reaction score
Stop making others click on, read, and then post in your threads.
I'M CHANGING THE FOCUS!!!! TRUMP MAY BE IMPEACHED - FOR THE 2ND TIME! IT'S NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE! EVEN SOME REPUBLICANS WANT HIM IMPEACHED!!!! NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!!! YELL, SCREAM USE ALL CAPS!!! AND EXCLAMATION POINTS- LOTS OF THEM!!!!

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
I'M CHANGING THE FOCUS!!!! TRUMP MAY BE IMPEACHED - FOR THE 2ND TIME! IT'S NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE! EVEN SOME REPUBLICANS WANT HIM IMPEACHED!!!! NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!!! YELL, SCREAM USE ALL CAPS!!! AND EXCLAMATION POINTS- LOTS OF THEM!!!!
THAT'S THE SPIRIT AND SORRY YOUR REACTION SCORE LIKE THE REST OF THE FELLAS IS INADEQUATE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IS THIS ENOUGHT EXCLAMATION POINTS?
NO - I CONCUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I CAN BE MUCH MORE JUVENILE AND ANNOYING, THIS KITTY GOT CLAWS

Last edited:

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Boy are you a snowflake, to wit -

I currently have six threads that appear on the first page and only one with ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's not even the most by one specific poster - I'll improve my Best!
Sorry I have a lot to share!! My mom told me to always feel free to share my warm fuzzies with others

So your math still blows

Time to break this one out for Mr. White Privilege -

1610544708919.png

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
1610545146535.png

Who is the Most Handsome Face(book) GHer of them all?

I'm so flattered Heaven Can Wait, my snuggle bunny!

TurfGopher

Reaction score
taking the esoteric approach here: I dont like Gavin Newsome! in a typical slimy politician fashion, he breaks his own policies, He dated Guilfoyle (big red flag), and California is struggling big time with covid.

Just seems like your run of the mill politician who likes the power and attention, but doesnt truly care about looking out for his constituents.

John Galt

Reaction score
I was hoping Howie would chime in with the California Covid numbers and how well Newsom’s restrictions have worked. Maybe not.

jamiche

Reaction score
Did Melvin teach you how to do that, galty?
There are a lot of other things that matter. We wish that donald and you guys hadn't gotten in the way.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Gavin Is a founding member of th jamm jamm clan. Dishonest and hypocritical to the core.
Values required for membership.

stocker08

Reaction score
California unfortunately has 6 million Trump voters. Lots of dotards happy to spread the coronavirus. Nothing Newsom could do about the handrail licking righties.

Wally

Reaction score
California unfortunately has 6 million Trump voters. Lots of dotards happy to spread the coronavirus. Nothing Newsom could do about the handrail licking righties.
Hopefully they are the majority of the ones dieing

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
I was hoping Howie would chime in with the California Covid numbers and how well Newsom’s restrictions have worked. Maybe not.
Just imagine the crucification of governors like Newsom and Walz if they simply had an (R) next to their name. They would be firebombed in the main stream media 24/7, but fortunate for them, they have the right letter next to their name.

Must be awesome to have that absence of accountability?

Wally

Reaction score
Just imagine the crucification of governors like Newsom and Walz if they simply had an (R) next to their name. They would be firebombed in the main stream media 24/7, but fortunate for them, they have the right letter next to their name.

Please show me an example of the media firebombing a Republican who put Covid restrictions in place.

What are you saying they would criticise them for? Tell me what are your criticisms of Walz?

John Galt

Reaction score

I had a friend in town from California this weekend. To be honest, I had no idea Newsom was in the process of being recalled until they told me. Without a doubt, there would have been 10 threads about it and daily Covid-19 case count updates from California if he was an R.

Wally

Reaction score
I had a friend in town from California this weekend. To be honest, I had no idea Newsom was in the process of being recalled until they told me. Without a doubt, there would have been 10 threads about it and daily Covid-19 case count updates from California if he was an R.
So persecuted....
Poor baby....

Top Bottom