The Price of Reopening the Economy: Tens of Thousands of American Lives

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
IMO, people that want businesses to get opened up right away should be pissed at things like this. The argument by many that want things opened up is that people are smart, they'll still do the right things (social distance, limit number of customers at one time). If they wanted to prove a point, they should have opened up with a bunch of safety precautions in place. Instead they're creating more ammunition for those that say businesses should stay closed.
You're probably right. Then again at the end of the day, the government continues to overextend it's reach by shutting down businesses that were operating lawfully. At this point, it should be the peoples choice.

The most disturbing thing to me about that video is reading the comments. So many comments openly cheering for the death of these people and the destruction of their business. But these are the same people who only care about saving lives, right?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
You're probably right. Then again at the end of the day, the government continues to overextend it's reach by shutting down businesses that were operating lawfully. At this point, it should be the peoples choice.

The most disturbing thing to me about that video is reading the comments. So many comments openly cheering for the death of these people and the destruction of their business. But these are the same people who only care about saving lives, right?
I agree with the second paragraph. Just pathetic.

I also agree with a lot of the frustration and agree businesses should be opening up but should be doing it with certain safety precautions in place. Regardless of how ridiculous many people think wearing masks, social distancing, etc. is, I do think examples like this only hurt the chances of that happening.

I also think many of these examples are just people trying to take advantage of the situation. The lady in Texas had a gofundme page set up before she even opened back up and now has over $500K in there. She even got a 18K PPP loan but said she had no idea what to do with it.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/11/854014516/health-officials-close-colorado-cafe-that-hosted-a-huge-crowd-on-mothers-day

"
Public health officials closed a restaurant in Castle Rock, Colo., on Monday, one day after its owner hosted a Mother's Day event in which the entire dining room was open to seat customers — most of whom weren't wearing face masks.

Hundreds of people visited the C&C Coffee and Kitchen on Sunday, with some praising its defiance in allowing people to eat breakfast burritos and drink coffee at tables despite broad restrictions that limit Colorado restaurants to carryout service. Images from Sunday morning show the restaurant had a line of people at the door, with a crowd inside.

"I expected it to be busy. I never expected this," owner April Arellano told the Castle Rock News-Press on Sunday. "I'm so happy so many people came out to support the Constitution and stand up for what is right. We did our time. We did our two weeks. We did more than two weeks ... and we were failing. We had to do something."

But the local health department shut down the restaurant Monday, saying its owners had ignored a warning not to open their dining room.

"

MplsGopher

Reaction score
How much you want to bet that social media agitators will organize for there to be an armed militia to show up at the restaurant and "protect it" from police against being shut down.

Disgusting. Arrest them all as terrorists. Make an example out of them, if it comes to it.

Is this really what people want?? To be sitting at brunch, next to a bunch of fake soldiers with toy guns? Come on ...

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
We have that going on here on a daily basis, and it really is disturbing. But hey, the ends justifies the means, you know what I mean?

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
We have that going on here on a daily basis, and it really is disturbing. But hey, the ends justifies the means, you know what I mean?
Its so f-ed up. The ignorance and hatred and love for government is said, and honestly, so foreign to me

howeda7

Reaction score
I did somehow survive my night in the waiting room at Brookdale Toyota, where they've spaced the chairs out. But they're running at only partial capacity, and I don't know if they've laid people off or will have to. One way or another, half empty dining rooms could be an answer...or they could be the worst of both worlds: transmission AND bankruptcy.
The restaurant businsses is tough in the best of times. I doubt many can make it operating at half capacity unless their rents are suddenly cut half (possible.)

howeda7

Reaction score
IMO, people that want businesses to get opened up right away should be pissed at things like this. The argument by many that want things opened up is that people are smart, they'll still do the right things (social distance, limit number of customers at one time). If they wanted to prove a point, they should have opened up with a bunch of safety precautions in place. Instead they're creating more ammunition for those that say businesses should stay closed.
The owner wanted to score a political point. They got what they wanted. Same with Elon Musk. "Come arrest me!"

Section2

Reaction score
Question everything you read or hear...

Sad...but not unexpected from CNN.
It is really outrageous and has to be purposeful. FOUR PEOPLE contributed to that report. I guess CNN just really wants to destroy the economy and create fear to get Trump removed. It's all I can come up with. How sad.

LakerFan

Reaction score
The restaurant businsses is tough in the best of times. I doubt many can make it operating at half capacity unless their rents are suddenly cut half (possible.)
Yeah, but if you were scraping by on take out business, half capacity + take out would sound pretty damn good.

bga1

Reaction score
Yeah, but if you were scraping by on take out business, half capacity + take out would sound pretty damn good.
Yep - not to mention the fact that the sooner you put your employees back to work, the less likely you are to keep them long term and have continuity.

Section2

Reaction score
Nope. The shutdown is having no effect on the economy. But is totally responsible for the flattening of the curve and saving millions of lives.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if Walz will open anything before 2021.
I think we might be a year away yet. A year away in two week increments.

theczar

Reaction score
a drastic increase in global warming is the only hope for humanity to stop covid 19

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Kill me now
People believe there is going to be a magical vaccine, even though they've never made one for a coronavirus and they are fast tracking one with shortcuts. They "believe" the flu vaccine is ~35% effective, with multiple strains. They say that this particular coronavirus mutates constantly. So how do they expect to have an effective vaccine given these hurdles?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Depends what "open" and "closed" mean to you.

I can leave my house any time I want, drive to and walk into Target, Home Depot, and Costco during their normal store hours, right now.

Suspect on May 18 or June 1, a host of other businesses will also be allowed to open so long as appropriate distances between people inside can be assured.

bga1

Reaction score
He has terrific ideas though! He's very creative and he's thinking about it! The models though.....

Top Bottom