the police thread

howeda7

Reaction score
Maybe you could post a credible source with statistics to support your theory? Doubt it.
It's a theory that nerds tend to get bullied in school? I presented a personal observation. I said it was a small sample size. You're digging it up a week later and looking for a dumb fight. Pass.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
I would guess that part of the fallout will involve more psychological screening for prospective police officers and a lot more training in different areas. Possibly even requiring a college degree or at the least a 2-year college program to go into law enforcement.

The problem is not "cops," the problem is cops who can't handle certain situations and take things too far.

Hey - it's not an easy job. which is exactly why the standards should be high. Based on their responses, there are people on this board whom I would not want to see with a badge and a gun.
Some people are just not cut out for the job.

In the future, cops will likely have to receive more training in conflict resolution and other people skills.

There will always be bad guys, and we will need cops to get the bad guys. but the cops have to be able to tell the bad guys from the good guys, or the people acting weird because of mental health issues.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
It's a theory that nerds tend to get bullied in school? I presented a personal observation. I said it was a small sample size. You're digging it up a week later and looking for a dumb fight. Pass.
You originally posted “overly aggressive people with chips on their shoulder”. I gave you an example of a very non-aggressive person and you morphed it to fit your story.

Glad you admit it’s a theory out of your ass, but that doesn’t make it unique since most of what you post is OYA.

howeda7

Reaction score
You originally posted “overly aggressive people with chips on their shoulder”. I gave you an example of a very non-aggressive person and you morphed it to fit your story.

Glad you admit it’s a theory out of your ass, but that doesn’t make it unique since most of what you post is OYA.
And you implied that a kid who was "quiet and nerdy" in Boy Scouts can't become a kid with a chip on his shoulder later in life. Also "OYA".

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
And you implied that a kid who was "quiet and nerdy" in Boy Scouts can't become a kid with a chip on his shoulder later in life. Also "OYA".
?

No, that’s not what I did at all.

I disputed your theory that aggressive kids are frequently the ones who become cops. I didn’t say passive kids can’t become cops that are aggressive or a chip on their shoulder. I simply gave an example on one kid that was passive and became a cop.

Nice try though.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Faced with making food for state troopers, workers walk out

Forced to choose between their beliefs and their jobs, four restaurant workers say, they walked out after they were threatened with being fired for refusing to help fill an order for a law enforcement agency that was policing nearby race protests.

The employees at a Columbus location of Condado Tacos, a regional Mexican chain, walked out this week over a catering order for 250 Ohio Highway Patrol officers who were working the protests of the Minnesota death of George Floyd.

Now, the modest actions by just a few workers have generated national publicity that led managers to temporarily shutter two locations of the rapidly expanding chain, and have sparked a conversation about free expression in the workplace.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
The stuff in this thread and article isn't just corruption and abuse around the edges of the system; it's downright systemic evil, criminal, behavior. The police appear to be more like a criminal syndicate or gang than a governmental organization of peace officers. I honestly don't know what else a reasonable person does in the face of this other than blow it up and start over.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
The stuff in this thread and article isn't just corruption and abuse around the edges of the system; it's downright systemic evil, criminal, behavior. The police appear to be more like a criminal syndicate or gang than a governmental organization of peace officers. I honestly don't know what else a reasonable person does in the face of this other than blow it up and start over.
In "The Gangs of New York," the city sanctions private firefighting companies, who arrive on the scene of the fire, brawl with each other for the opportunity to collect the bounty, and let the fire burn. That was based on historical fact. At some point they decided to make a change and went away from that system, thank goodness. You have to be willing and able to make a change from a system that isn't working. Otherwise you become a slave to the status quo and the entrenched syndicate.

howeda7

Reaction score
Two weeks ago, I would have bought the "it's just a few bad apples" theory and hoped to weed them out. But it's more than a few.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
I have to make a crude attempt to put myself into the basketball shoes of Rachel Banham, and try to think about what her viewpoint might be on this whole problem of bad copping.

By her own statement, all she ever wanted to do was emulate Koby Bryant on the basketball court, and play for the Minnesota Gophers, and god-willing then play a little pro ball, and then ultimately follow in the footsteps of both of her parents by becoming a police officer. So far, she has done all of that except the last police-officer part. She has a four year degree at the U, I believe in criminal justice. She is one of the nicest people you could ever meet and is extremely gracious with her young fans. She just got traded to the Lynx, but of course their season is on coronavirus hold. But anyway, she's back in the Twin Cities and is no doubt observing the shenanigans going on in the city as well as the bad copping that triggered it and the ineffectual police response to the subsequent protests that turned into riots..

By anybody's standard, one would hope and pray for about 10,000 Rachel Banhams as future police officers. She would be awesome in that role and is informed by the excellent careers of her parents. And there's no doubt in my mind that if she had been among those four cops that let the George Floyd travesty happen, she would have put a stop to it.

But my open question is, I wonder if this whole mess has given her second thoughts about becoming a police officer after she hangs up her sneakers. If I were in her place, I certainly might be thinking about whether it's worth it anymore to become an officer of the peace, when there is so much hatred toward the police that it seems like much of the public is anti the police. She could easily get a coaching job.

WTF do we need to do in order to keep the very best police-officer candidates (such as Rach) to continue to aspire to being a police officer? If all the really good candidates bow out, then we may be left with only the thug-wannabe candidates to hire from.

I imagine that Rachel is very troubled by what she sees outside of her Twin Cities window.

As an afterthought, I added the following Banham retweet of a Lynx tweet ...

Last edited:

STPGopher

Reaction score
I’d be up for it, but there’s more pressing issues like making sure that everyone can choose whatever bathroom they feel most comfortable in. Once we get through those issues we can address less important issues like policing. I’ll get back to you.
Can we fake an internet death whenever we want to? Just asking for a friend.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
This is so ridiculous.
The guy was a dick, shouting in his ear with a megaphone. He bumped the cop b/c he was too damned close. He was begging to be arrested and the appropriate amount of force was used. He was probably released a short time later.

Top Bottom