The new Corona virus, should we worry?

Section2

Reaction score
Still doesn’t change the fact that the quickest way back to normalcy is for a majority of the population gets the vaccine. And the good news is it looks like the vaccine doesn’t just lessen how sick someone gets but probably prevents the virus from spreading.
For how long? I’ve read that the vaccine only lasts 6 months?

stocker08

Reaction score
“This all needs to end now so we can get back to our lives!!!!”

“There’s currently a very effective and safe vaccine that will allow just that.”

“No way, I’m not getting the vaccine!!!!”

Righties brains do not function correctly.

Wally

Reaction score
Will all the screamers admit they were wrong on this one?

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, suicides totaled fewer than 45,000 in 2020, down from about 47,500 in 2019 and more than 48,000 in 2018.

So far, this seems to be true globally. England saw no increase in suicides in the aftermath of lockdowns, Louis Appleby, a researcher on suicide and self-harm at the University of Manchester, wrote for the medical journal BMJ. The same seems to be true in other nations, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, and Sweden, based on data for the first few months of lockdowns around the globe.

justthefacts

Reaction score
So:

a) It was only 3 months into the pandemic, so you'd think it would have shown up in ACTUAL suicide by the end of the year, but it didn't.

b) It was a new poll with new questions, and thus no useful comparisons to previous conditions were possible.

c) The suicidal ideation is "in the past 30 days" when most schools would have been closed regardless of the pandemic.

d) They admit that their polling sample is not a representative sample of the US.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Brazil is an interesting case:

vpkbj7O.png

--
JqDdQkf.png

--
vgB8P2Z.png

Brazil demonstrates:

1. The danger of the variants
  2. What it looks like when public health measures aren't taken
  3. How important widespread vaccination is

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Bolsanaro is directly responsible, one way or another, for many, many dead Brazilians.

One of the few times where I'll go ahead and say it: dude, couldn't you have just used a longer knife?

Section2

Reaction score
So:

a) It was only 3 months into the pandemic, so you'd think it would have shown up in ACTUAL suicide by the end of the year, but it didn't.

b) It was a new poll with new questions, and thus no useful comparisons to previous conditions were possible.

c) The suicidal ideation is "in the past 30 days" when most schools would have been closed regardless of the pandemic.

d) They admit that their polling sample is not a representative sample of the US.
From your own tweet, here was a response. Your tweeter declined to answer...
So we don’t have 4 Q data, and we have a huge surge of drug overdoses. Perhaps those are suicides but not being accurately counted. A little early to declare victory I would think.

here’s a lefty approved link that debunks many of your counterpoints.

I didn’t post that CDC link today. I posted that months ago.
You are taking an untenable position. That lockdowns and pandemic response haven’t had a huge and detrimental affect on young peoples mental health. Good luck with that.

Section2

Reaction score
Brazil is an interesting case:

vpkbj7O.png

--
JqDdQkf.png

--
vgB8P2Z.png

Brazil demonstrates:

1. The danger of the variants
  2. What it looks like when public health measures aren't taken
  3. How important widespread vaccination is
Florida demonstrates what happens when public health measures arent taken. Nothing.

justthefacts

Reaction score
From your own tweet, here was a response. Your tweeter declined to answer...
So we don’t have 4 Q data, and we have a huge surge of drug overdoses. Perhaps those are suicides but not being accurately counted. A little early to declare victory I would think.

here’s a lefty approved link that debunks many of your counterpoints.

I didn’t post that CDC link today. I posted that months ago.
You are taking an untenable position. That lockdowns and pandemic response haven’t had a huge and detrimental affect on young peoples mental health. Good luck with that.

The authors are very clear where they got the data:

tXQpm9U.png

I'm not sure why you talk about when you posted the CDC link because that's not relevant to anything I've said.

I'm not arguing that the pandemic hasn't been hard on people or youth. I'm arguing that it is difficult to quantify, and especially difficult to parse into specific causes, and impossible to compare against the counterfactual in which there was reduced public response, but increase harm from the pandemic itself.

Wally

Reaction score
And not a single public health measure was taken by Florida, or any of its more localized geographies.

I heard it's basically the same as everywhere, masks required everywhere, only real difference was bars and restaurants.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
hospitalizations and ICU admissions up again. 538 hospitalized highest since Jan 23.
138 in ICU highest since Jan 11.

MN Covid-19 Update - Weds, April 7

Data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive cases 500,703 +1,503. Including probable cases 532,659.

Positive test rate 7.1%.

Health-Care workers with positive cases 39,642 +89.

Cases no longer needing isolation 509,834 +1,740.

Active cases 15,916 +237.

Deaths 6,527 +18. Including probable deaths 6,908.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 4,062 +4. Including probable cases 4,298.

Patients currently Hospitalized 538 +41. Cumulative 27,888 +107.

Patients currently In ICU 138 +24. Cumulative 5,720 +27.

Total PCR tests processed 7,862,174 +21,041. Including antigen testing 8,430,709.

Section2

Reaction score
And not a single public health measure was taken by Florida, or any of its more localized geographies.
You guys are all about lockdowns and mask mandates and closing schools. Florida didn’t. Your predictions on what would happen did not come true. If there are other measures that you think resulted in success, you’ve been awfully quiet. You so desperately wanted to see a spike in FL, instead you’re getting one in Michigan. Which the media ignores and does hack job pieces on Florida instead, and again. Oops, can’t talk about that or I’m a victim.

justthefacts

Reaction score
You guys are all about lockdowns and mask mandates and closing schools. Florida didn’t. Your predictions on what would happen did not come true. If there are other measures that you think resulted in success, you’ve been awfully quiet. You so desperately wanted to see a spike in FL, instead you’re getting one in Michigan. Which the media ignores and does hack job pieces on Florida instead, and again. Oops, can’t talk about that or I’m a victim.

KOTr0LH.png

Conservative media did a victory lap for Florida last spring when De Santis ended the lockdown and then Florida had a horrible surge last summer. Odd that we're going through the first part of that equation again.

gdefSzz.png

Florida is certainly not alone in feeling the effects of the virus, but they seem to be alone in you forgetting that they felt the effects of the virus. They've also had the advantage of having people able to be outside 12 months a year. But you bring it up as though no one died and the localities never took action.

Section2

Reaction score

KOTr0LH.png

Conservative media did a victory lap for Florida last spring when De Santis ended the lockdown and then Florida had a horrible surge last summer. Odd that we're going through the first part of that equation again.

gdefSzz.png

Florida is certainly not alone in feeling the effects of the virus, but they seem to be alone in you forgetting that they felt the effects of the virus. They've also had the advantage of having people able to be outside 12 months a year. But you bring it up as though no one died and the localities never took action.
There is no correlation between lockdowns and mask mandates and cases or deaths.
A year ago, when we didn’t know what we were dealing with, a short shutdown seemed prudent. How foolish we were to believe public health experts and their 2 weeks to slow the curve.

I didn’t say no one died in FL. I said that absent the public health measures that you said were critical, their results have been fine to good. An honest and reasonable person would conclude that the public health measures don’t work. Especially when weighed against their enormous costs. But here you are.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I said that absent the public health measures that you said were critical, their results have been fine to good.
Only if "fine to good" is defined by someone who values the least regulation by government possible as the top priority above all others, including public health.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
There is no correlation between lockdowns and mask mandates and cases or deaths.
A year ago, when we didn’t know what we were dealing with, a short shutdown seemed prudent. How foolish we were to believe public health experts and their 2 weeks to slow the curve.

I didn’t say no one died in FL. I said that absent the public health measures that you said were critical, their results have been fine to good. An honest and reasonable person would conclude that the public health measures don’t work. Especially when weighed against their enormous costs. But here you are.
The lame stream media is really gunning for DeSantis. He proved them all wrong.

If JTF wants to compare to a 12 month warm year state, California‘s per capita death rate is almost identical to Florida’s, except they’ve destroyed their economy with lockdowns and school kids not being given the chance to go to school. Some good those lockdowns did in California.

Also really important, Florida has highest rate of 65+ in the US with Maine at 20+% of the population. California only has like 15% of the population 65+. The median age of a Floridian is 42+. California 36 years. And that’s not counting the significant influx of seasonal elderly that head to Florida. Collier County’s population, where I live in the winter, triples from 380K to around 1 million in season, mostly with 65+ retirees.

Florida’s economy is flourishing and the kids have been in school since August. Even local Democrats are giving DeSantis credit for working with local communities to balance the effects of COVID and with the needs of the people. They want to get re-elected and making DeSantis out to be the bad guy will cost them their elected seats.

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Even I'm astounded by this Texas data. Totally open, no mask mandate, for an entire month. How the hell can the lockdown lobby not recognize that their whole paradigm has collapsed?

I'm also shocked all our GH, amateur epidemiologists were wrong as well (not shocked).

1617888589214.png

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Resulting in fewer overall infections. 👍

Perhaps but I offer up two rebuttals:

1) Cautious people will self-isolate no matter what public officials say. Less cautious/reckless people will continue to gather no matter what public officials say.

2) Some policies are probably counterproductive eg banning outdoor exercise, or outdoor dining, or banning attendance at outdoor sporting events. These are clear examples of over-reaction that probably resulted in more spread, not less or at least had no effect.

The third rebuttal was the decision to keep schools closed out of “abundance of caution” despite what the studies suggested. Don’t pretend many of the policies were scientifically guided when they were politically guided or cop outs to fear mongering.

jovs

Reaction score
Florida demonstrates what happens when public health measures arent taken. Nothing.
I just spent a month in Florida, as far as public health measures being taken they are about the same in Florida as they are here with the exception of restaurants which seems to be a bit more crowded and busy, most have outdoor seating which makes it much easier to accommodate more of a crowd. Stores require masks and they are warn, social distancing happens on the beach etc.. There are entertainment areas where those that want that go that you don't see here. Not really that big of a difference.

You could argue that forced measures are not needed and that would be a valid point.

Last edited:

Section2

Reaction score
I just spent a month in Florida, as far as public health measures being taken they are about the same in Florida as they are here with the exception of restaurants which seems to be a bit more crowded and busy, most have outdoor seating which makes it much easier to accommodate more of a crowd. Stores require masks and they are warn, social distancing happens on the beach etc.. There are entertainment areas where those that want that go that you don't see here. Not really that big of a difference.

You could argue that forced measures are not needed and that would be a valid point.
That is exactly the point.

Section2

Reaction score
Even I'm astounded by this Texas data. Totally open, no mask mandate, for an entire month. How the hell can the lockdown lobby not recognize that their whole paradigm has collapsed?

I'm also shocked all our GH, amateur epidemiologists were wrong as well (not shocked).

View attachment 12399
There are tons of charts like this. If you told progs to identify where a mask mandate or lockdown went into effect, it would be the opposite of what happened. If you can’t notice a change in cases or deaths based on these hugely intrusive public health measures, how can you claim they work?

Top Bottom