The new Corona virus, should we worry?

Section2

Reaction score
You might be mistaking the female (Heather Heying PhD) for Naomi Wolf? Weinstein's wife is Heying and featured in the video, and his frequent podcast partner. TBH I don’t know anything about Wolf. Was she on that podcast?
Whoops! Thank you for correcting me. Interesting relationship they have.
yes, just watched a clip of Wolf talking about China, and vaccines, and all sorts of stuff where she nailed it. I thought the woman in that video looked the same. But not correct. Thx.

Section2

Reaction score
We can't stop you from believing in any number of silly, wrong things.
You don’t know that it’s silly or wrong. The CCP is ruthless. This is on the low end of things they are capable of doing. It’s not out of the question at all. And the results couldn’t be any better for them.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Ha! She’s a Clintonite and feminist. I’m sure we don’t agree on much. But she is sounding the alarm loudly against vaccine passports, and calling out the academic careerists. I love people willing to be unpopular in defense of individual rights and liberty.
She’s just not a very reliable person. Some very weird conspiracy theories and is an attention seeker that has received a lot of criticism for her misinformation and contributions in her books. She had a book cancelled recently because she misunderstood a legal term. Her cloud conspiracies are rather humorous.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score

Another thing that was well known at the beginning of the pandemic. But it continues to be ignored by politicians and Scientists in favor of controlling everyone.
Over 70% of adults in this country are considered overweight or obese. A BMI of 25 or more is considered overweight. This has been known but it doesn’t change anything because you can’t protect 3/4 of the country if the other 1/4 don’t do their part too. Unless you’re suggesting the 70+% should have been isolating this whole time?

It would be better IMO to see the breakdown by those obese (BMI 30+) and/or over 65 years old. Even then though, that would still represent over half the adults in this country.

Minnesota

Reaction score
Whoops! Thank you for correcting me. Interesting relationship they have.
yes, just watched a clip of Wolf talking about China, and vaccines, and all sorts of stuff where she nailed it. I thought the woman in that video looked the same. But not correct. Thx.
LOL, this Naomi Wolf?

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Over 70% of adults in this country are considered overweight or obese. A BMI of 25 or more is considered overweight. This has been known but it doesn’t change anything because you can’t protect 3/4 of the country if the other 1/4 don’t do their part too. Unless you’re suggesting the 70+% should have been isolating this whole time?

It would be better IMO to see the breakdown by those obese (BMI 30+) and/or over 65 years old. Even then though, that would still represent over half the adults in this country.

You've identified the real health crises in this country, and it's not COVID. There are many solutions to that crises, but no one wants to talk about it. Money is the #1 reason why.

Section2

Reaction score
LOL, this Naomi Wolf?

Well. She’s a longtime lib and feminist too, so I certainly don’t agree with her on a lot! She was on a Dr Drew podcast and she nailed it. But Woof, that is embarrassing and a career ended.

Section2

Reaction score

BMI is bogus. Obese is the real risk factor. Nowhere near 75%. But it is driving most of our health problems and a lot of our health care spend. Covid of not, it’s a massive problem and another one of our new victim classes too.

Section2

Reaction score
She’s just not a very reliable person. Some very weird conspiracy theories and is an attention seeker that has received a lot of criticism for her misinformation and contributions in her books. She had a book cancelled recently because she misunderstood a legal term. Her cloud conspiracies are rather humorous.

Fair. She has articulated very well the position opposing vaccine passports for the right reasons. Weird conspiracy theories are coming up true an awful lot lately.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
You've identified the real health crises in this country, and it's not COVID. There are many solutions to that crises, but no one wants to talk about it. Money is the #1 reason why.
I agree long term it is a big problem but it wasn’t something we would have been able change in months or even a year. Unfortunately that is where we are as a country so the response to Covid had to take that into account.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
BMI is bogus. Obese is the real risk factor. Nowhere near 75%. But it is driving most of our health problems and a lot of our health care spend. Covid of not, it’s a massive problem and another one of our new victim classes too.
I agree but the 80% number was based on anyone with a BMI of at least 25 is considered overweight. It’s ridiculous, I agree, most athletes have a 25+ BMI.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Fair. She has articulated very well the position opposing vaccine passports for the right reasons. Weird conspiracy theories are coming up true an awful lot lately.
Disagree with the last part but you’re probably right on the first part. Unfortunately she’s someone that is hard for most to take seriously.

Section2

Reaction score
Disagree with the last part but you’re probably right on the first part. Unfortunately she’s someone that is hard for most to take seriously.
Honestly, all I know about her is feminist author. Just saw her as a guest on a podcast and thought it was great. And then I mistook her for someone else on Bret Weinsteins podcast. Really has nothing to do with anything.

Section2

Reaction score
I agree long term it is a big problem but it wasn’t something we would have been able change in months or even a year. Unfortunately that is where we are as a country so the response to Covid had to take that into account.
We should have advised people at high risk for covid to quarantine or wear surgical masks and distance as much as possible. And the rest of us never should have changed our lives. Covid could have run through the population at a 99.99 recovery rate, and we would have been done last summer.

Wally

Reaction score

Death to fatties!!!!

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
We should have advised people at high risk for covid to quarantine or wear surgical masks and distance as much as possible. And the rest of us never should have changed our lives. Covid could have run through the population at a 99.99 recovery rate, and we would have been done last summer.
Once again that’s not close to being realistic because a very large portion of the population is part of the higher risk group or has someone in their household that is. There are lots of jobs where you have no choice but to be in close contact with others for long periods of time.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Covid could have run through the population at a 99.99 recovery rate
Only 0.01 percent of infections caused deaths? Lol no.

Hospitalizations and long term symptoms are nonzero costs.

Natural immunity is insufficient for a not insignificant portion of people.

Section2

Reaction score
Once again that’s not close to being realistic because a very large portion of the population is part of the higher risk group or has someone in their household that is. There are lots of jobs where you have no choice but to be in close contact with others for long periods of time.
The alternative is not realistic. We did it your way. I don’t see how even ignoring the economic and indirect costs, that you could argue it was a success.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Let's define our terms:

from the CDC website:
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. A high BMI can be an indicator of high body fatness.
If your BMI is 18.5 to <25, it falls within the normal.
If your BMI is 25.0 to <30, it falls within the overweight range.
If your BMI is 30.0 or higher, it falls within the obesity range.

Obesity is frequently subdivided into categories:
Class 1: BMI of 30 to < 35
Class 2: BMI of 35 to < 40
Class 3: BMI of 40 or higher. Class 3 obesity is sometimes categorized as “extreme” or “severe” obesity.

Example for a 5'9" man:
up to 168 lbs is a healthy weight
169 to 202 is "overweight
203 lbs + is a BMI of 30 or more - and is classified as Obese
271 lbs is a BMI of 40 - or Class 3 obesity. (otherwise known as on the way to see Dr. Now....)

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
The alternative is not realistic. We did it your way. I don’t see how even ignoring the economic and indirect costs, that you could argue it was a success.
The way you’re suggesting would have made the death count, economy, and mental health even worse.

And we actually didn’t do it anyone’s way because it was a complete cluster f***. We had a president that downplayed it every chance he got and encouraged people to not listen to the experts for political gain. We had some states do almost nothing like South Dakota. We had states like California keep restrictions for way too long which caused people to say “screw this”. It wasn’t a success because people weren’t willing to try to work together. There wasn’t a plan.

howeda7

Reaction score
As realistic and well thought out as your plans for private roads and replacing the entire TSA in 5 minutes.

Your freedom paradise states like SD and ND did exactly that and still have infections and chugging along at higher rates than MN. But sure "done last summer" would totally have happened.

Last edited:

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
The way you’re suggesting would have made the death count, economy, and mental health even worse.

And we actually didn’t do it anyone’s way because it was a complete cluster f***. We had a president that downplayed it every chance he got and encouraged people to not listen to the experts for political gain. We had some states do almost nothing like South Dakota. We had states like California keep restrictions for way too long which caused people to say “screw this”. It wasn’t a success because people weren’t willing to try to work together. There wasn’t a plan.
It wasn't a success because there was never any reason behind any of it, no scientific consensus, no verifiable proof that THIS (whatever THIS would/could be) is the proper course of action and following it will be the best for everyone.

We never had that. Ever. And we still don't. How can you fault people for being skeptical of the "science" when it's never once been inconclusive?

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score

Last winter (Jan/Feb/Mar) I had a fantasy that behind the threat of a fairly unknown highly transmissible respiratory virus public health leaders would rally all Americans to do a voluntary, all hands on deck hard lockdown for 2-3 weeks without the need for jackboots (ie NO Home Depot, Costco runs, parties, dinners, gender reveals, travel...public and commercial financial $$$ subsidies of course), legitimate PPE distribution/training/use, allow contact tracing, isolation, quarantine to do its work and keep the virus manageable. There may have been opportunity for this early on, but quickly lost - may all be wishful thinking on my part, but the alternative was what we’ve witnessed - unchecked spread (with some curious outliers up and down), multiple surges, social upheaval, massive costs. Half-hearted half measures. Thank goodness for the vaccines. There seems to be a “cookbook“ somewhere the politicians are all copping and copying each other from. The next 2-3 months are a big question mark but hopefully end is in sight.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
On a serious note - let's say it was a lab leak.

Was it deliberate?

or did someone just screw up?

given the propensity of human beings to screw up on a regular basis, I would tend to believe - barring clear evidence to the contrary - that IF the virus came out of a lab, it was the result of human error and not some evil plan by Dr. Fu Manchu to wipe out the white race. (hey, I like old pulp fiction....)

And, let's say it was a mistake. I could easily see China's government trying to keep that quiet to avoid embarrassment.

So, if you believe it did originate from a lab, are you claiming it was deliberate or a mistake?

IMHO, I think some of the reason for the push-back on the lab theory is the notion that some people are trying to present this as a deliberate attempt to do.....something.....as opposed to just a good, old-fashioned human f*ckup.

If this is directed to me I have no idea but an accidental or completely unintentional exposure from a sample - that may or may not have even been sequenced or catalogued - and subsequent spread, a panicked response, possible cover up and then typical doubling down on prior statements and actions that cannot be walked back would be the most likely. The alternative is truly ghoulish Hollywood Dr. Evil material and large complicated conspiracies have too many potential leakers and snitches. It just seems extremely unlikely. Obfuscating the early patients, silencing a few people much more plausible.

The video from Navarro above is probably what some are worried about with making a lab accident more acceptable - people will take it too far and make it a possibly worse international incident.

Of course a non-lab origin is possible but the solitary point source/patient zero in the genomic phylogenetic tree in research-heavy Wuhan is a pretty big coincidence to hand wave away. Then the reluctance to share data. It stinks. It’s suspicious. It probably doesn’t help I don’t trust the Chinese government 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:

Go4Broke

Reaction score

Scientists warn new COVID mutations in a year as vaccines stall

Leading health experts from around the world warned the slow roll-out of vaccines and unequal distribution could mean the shots become ineffective as new coronavirus mutations appear within the next year. Seventy-seven scientists – from leading academic institutions from around the globe – participated in the survey with about 30 percent suggesting second-generation vaccines will be needed as soon as in nine months, unless vaccines become more widely produced and distributed around the world.

Nearly 90 percent of the researchers said more vaccine-resistant mutations are likely because of extremely “low vaccine coverage” in many countries, mostly developing ones.
At the current rate, it is likely that only 10 percent of people in the majority of poor countries will be vaccinated in the next year, according to The People’s Vaccine Alliance, a coalition of more than 50 organisations.

According to the survey, 66 percent of the researchers said human beings have a year or less before the virus mutates and the majority of first-generation vaccines are “rendered ineffective”. Eighteen percent said we have six months or less, and 33 percent predicted about nine months.

The alliance called on all pharmaceutical corporations working on COVID-19 vaccines to openly share their technology and intellectual property through the World Health Organization COVID-19 Technology Access Pool to speed up production and distribution of the jabs around the world. “If we were in a war with a country called COVID, would governments leave vital decisions on production, supply and price in the hands of arms-producing companies?” said Dr Mohga Kamal Yanni, senior health policy advisor to The People Vaccine Alliance.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021...w-covid-mutations-in-a-year-as-vaccines-stall

Top Bottom