The new Corona virus, should we worry?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Excellent piece here (as always), on preventing the next big pandemic. Also briefly features some of PE's favorite virology experts.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Unbelievable. Pfifer's 40k trial included FIVE over 85. How is this possible?
Michelle Pfeiffer had a vaccine trial? :cool:

But on a serious note: is Pfizer allowed to force people to sign up for their vaccine trial?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
It’s not necessarily the most logical. Where then is the intermediate host?
Where are extraterrestrial intelligent beings? We haven't found them. Therefore, it is logical to conclude they don't exist.

How was SARS- COV2 so readily evolved to be transmissible between humans immediately, “out of the box”?
You're assuming the conclusion you want to arrive at.

I say Sars2 has been naturally evolving for hundreds of years, between villiagers and animals, before it finally "hit the evolutionary jackpot". Prove me wrong.

Why did this pandemic originate blocks from the WIV? Just a freakish coincidence?
It could be.

I recognize and even somewhat empathize that your mind just can't accept a coincidence like that, and rejects it.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, but I'm not seeing where this guy says "we had very limited access. It wasn’t close to a thorough investigation."

Can you please point to where it says that?

On the contrary, I see:
"We go there as an international group and we're not part of the WHO, we're just independent experts. So there's clearly political pressure on Chinese authorities and WHO, I guess.

"So it was apparent and there were people from foreign affairs in China attending our meetings and so on. It was at times tense, but always very well mannered and good humoured."
They we’re not given access to the original records. They were presented with research performed by China. One has to presume everything is above board, after a year+ of lying, evasion, obfuscation, and silencing of whistleblowers.

What is your angle on putting this to bed? Just curious for your resistance to engage.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
They we’re not given access to the original records. They were presented with research performed by China. One has to presume everything is above board, after a year+ of lying, evasion, obfuscation, and silencing of whistleblowers.

What is your angle on putting this to bed? Just curious for your resistance to engage.
I am open to any possibility, so long as it is not presumed from a lack of evidence. That is what you're doing, by your posts (though you then claim you aren't).

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Harvesting viruses from the wild and studying them, without then doing GoF, is just basic science and virology. I'm guessing almost no one thinks it shouldn't be done. Guessing and hoping that includes you.

I can't think of a valid reason why you're trying so hard to couple basic science/virology with GoF. Trying to steal their funding for your own area of research?
You’d be wrong, as typical. I’ve already linked at least one paper on the risk. These types of experiments were banned in the US from 2014 to 2017. They are very controversial in the scientific community, who do not always have downstream repercussions front of mind.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I’ve already linked at least one paper on the risk. These types of experiments were banned in the US from 2014 to 2017. They are very controversial in the scientific community, who do not always have downstream repercussions front of mind.
You're talking about GoF. You didn't even correctly read what I wrote. This seems to just further confirm my point that you're trying very hard to conflate basic virology and GoF research.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
I am open to any possibility, so long as it is not presumed from a lack of evidence. That is what you're doing, by your posts (though you then claim you aren't).
Did you watch the video I posted? The tenets become more clear. They are not the only ones making similar points.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
You're talking about GoF. You didn't even correctly read what I wrote. This seems to just further confirm my point that you're trying very hard to conflate basic virology and GoF research.
Lazy. You’re talking in circles. Get up to speed, then we’ll talk.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Did you watch the video I posted? The tenets become more clear. They are not the only ones making similar points.
I did not. The usual thing for you is to cite something which says X, and then claim it supports your position of X^10 + W,Y,Z.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
"Beds-in-use" site still not updated. not going to wait all day. might check later if I have time.

MN covid-19 Update - Tues, Feb 16

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive Cases 452,677 +371. Including probable cases 474,621.

Positive test rate 4.7%.

Health-care workers with positive cases 37,272 +19.

Cases no longer needing isolation 461,406 +869.

Active Cases 6,835 -419.

Deaths 6,115 +2. Including probable deaths 6,380.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 3,890 (same). Including probable cases 4,016.

Total patients hospitalized-cumulative 25,243 +46.

Total patients in ICU-cumulative 5,206 +9.

Total tests processed 6,611,756 +7,960.

Number of people tested 3,373,632 +2,356.

Spoofin

Reaction score
What is the point of this idiotic "point in time" snapshot of the pandemic? That we should go back to the December status of 250 NEW hospitalizations every single day?

Virtually every state and every country has a graph with the same shape.

LesBolstad

Reaction score
"Beds-in-use" site still not updated. not going to wait all day. might check later if I have time.

MN covid-19 Update - Tues, Feb 16

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive Cases 452,677 +371. Including probable cases 474,621.

Positive test rate 4.7%.

Health-care workers with positive cases 37,272 +19.

Cases no longer needing isolation 461,406 +869.

Active Cases 6,835 -419.

Deaths 6,115 +2. Including probable deaths 6,380.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 3,890 (same). Including probable cases 4,016.

Total patients hospitalized-cumulative 25,243 +46.

Total patients in ICU-cumulative 5,206 +9.

Total tests processed 6,611,756 +7,960.

Number of people tested 3,373,632 +2,356.
So is Covid now actually saving lives? We have historically low flu deaths currently.

howeda7

Reaction score
So is Covid now actually saving lives? We have historically low flu deaths currently.
The measures to prevent the spread of COVID also reduce the spread of the flu and other diseases. Conspiracy!

justthefacts

Reaction score
And there's no Science that backs that.
There's a lot of science that says masks work and when you eat you don't have your mask on. There are studies and contact tracing that point to restaurants being key places it spreads, but you decided you wouldn't believe any of them.

Here's another one I don't think you have dismissed out of hand we have discussed.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Personal note - my local Sanford Hospital just called and said they have some vaccine available. So I will be going in on Friday for my 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine. I will report back afterwards - assuming no side effects.
Great to hear, SON!

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Excellent piece here (as always), on preventing the next big pandemic. Also briefly features some of PE's favorite virology experts.

Excellent? Oliver (and Colbert to great regret) have really dropped off in their ability to be, you know, funny, since leaving the Comedy channel. That bit was a little sad, to be honest, and his conclusions are mostly wrong. You’re putting John Oliver and others with everything to lose against established and relatively disinterested PhDs. Maybe you should rethink this?

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
I did not. The usual thing for you is to cite something which says X, and then claim it supports your position of X^10 + W,Y,Z.
Why don’t you just hit play. I sat through 15 minutes of unfunny John Oliver. Take one for the team. You can do it, and you might gain a different perspective.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Personal note - my local Sanford Hospital just called and said they have some vaccine available. So I will be going in on Friday for my 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine. I will report back afterwards - assuming no side effects.
I know you’re a music lover. I was just listening to some recorded concert reels (The Cult) the other day - on YouTube with piss poor audio quality - and pondering what we’ve lost. The live music scene is going to be insane as soon as this lifts. We won’t take things for granted for years, for sure. The vaccines are our bridge back. Give me one in each arm and a third in the buttocks.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
There's a lot of science that says masks work and when you eat you don't have your mask on. There are studies and contact tracing that point to restaurants being key places it spreads, but you decided you wouldn't believe any of them.

Here's another one I don't think you have dismissed out of hand we have discussed.

There are zero controlled studies involving actual COVID spread. They are theories using limited questioning and cherry picked data to pass confirmation bias off as Science. Unfortunately you and many others still can't comprehend this.

The additional months of indoor drinking and eating in Wisconsin sure has killed many more people than in Minnesota, right? Oops, I guess not.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
The additional months of indoor drinking and eating in Wisconsin sure has killed many more people than in Minnesota, right?
How many people in Wisconsin would have died if they would've had Minnesota's level of indoor dining restrictions? That's the actual question.

Almost certainly, fewer would've died. But how many fewer? We'll never know.

Top Bottom