The new Corona virus, should we worry?

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
None of this proves in the slightest that the WIV was conducting GoF research on coronaviruses. You're just saying that they shouldn't do that. OK, they probably shouldn't. Were they? No evidence.

People shouldn't drink and drive. It's not a good idea. And?

I did watch this from 29:30 onward, for a few minutes to get the idea.

He only talks about "spillover", which is meant to say that villiagers living near bats need to be careful about how they interact with them, to help reduce the risk of pandemics from coronaviruses. And that he thinks there are constantly "spillover" occasions that don't result in pandemics.

I don't see how this supports your ideas, at all. If anything, it supports the idea that Sars2 did not come from lab experiments. If there were parts earlier in the video that you think do support your ideas, then you should tell me which parts.

You had to resort to linking the "fact" sheet from the Georgian embassey because it's no longer hosted on any kind of regular US state dept website. No need to be dishonest about that.

Well and good.

Proves that Sars2 was created and accidentally released from WIV? No.

But you believe and want that to be the origin. I have no Earthly idea why. But you seem to be pretty well indoctrinated on that. Maybe not the level of a fanatic, yet.
I’ve never said it was a lab leak. I’d be more inclined to believe the zoonotic explanation (which is very plausible) if China were cooperative. You’re still not understanding my arguments, after multiple pages?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
What are “my ideas”?
You want Sars2 to have been created in the WIV from GoF research, then accidentally released due to shoddy safety protocols in the lab, and for these origins to have been covered up by China.

Clear as crystal.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
China just allowed the WHO to do an investigation in China. That by definition can't be "completely" uncooperative.

What if they don't know either?

How are they supposed to prove that they don't know something and/or don't have something to share?

It's akin to making an allegation of fraud and academic dishonesty, of an established scientist, with no evidence of wrongdoing whatsoever.

Who are you to make such allegations? What credibility do you possess?
Details are already emerging they had very limited access. It wasn’t close to a thorough investigation.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Eventually he may have to answer why his research is necessary or beneficial at all (it has minimal upside and depths of hell downside).
His research has absolutely nothing to do with this.

No idea why you're trying to make this a thing.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
You want Sars2 to have been created in the WIV from GoF research, then accidentally released due to shoddy safety protocols in the lab, and for these origins to have been covered up by China.

Clear as crystal.
Not close to my position.

If GOF, lab safety protocols have increased scrutiny and the batshit crazy practice of sampling viruses, building more transmissible and virulent viruses which serves close to zero practical purpose is discouraged - that’s the silver lining here. We can’t put the genie all the way back into the bottle but we can mitigate risk going forward.

I’m far from convinced this episode was a lab leak but the possibility of it eventually in the years, decades ahead is very real. I don’t think that’s a conspiracy theorist position. I don’t care if Daszak has to go sell cars. Tough ****.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Says who?

You saying it means nothing.
One of the Australian members of the team made a statement. The Biden administration seems to have some intel.

Lets wait for the report and see what’s in it...then we can make definitive statements.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
MN Covid-19 Update - Sunday, Feb 14

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive Cases 451,761 +642. Including probable cases 473,567.

Health-Care workers with positive cases 37,229 +26.

Cases no longer needing isolation 459,525 +1,033.

Active Cases 7,666 -264.

Deaths 6,111 +7. Including probable deaths 6,376.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 3,890 +2. Including probable deaths 4,016.

Total patients hospitalized-cumulative 25,156 +40.

Total patients in ICU-cumulative 5,190 +7.

Total tests processed 6,586,482 +23,007.

Number of people tested 3,365,599 +9,594.

FWIW - the estimated population of MN is roughly 5.68 million. So, according to the new numbers, roughly 59% of all MN residents have received at least one covid-19 test.

I am still in the 41% that has not been tested for covid.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Not close to my position.
Your statements clearly indicate otherwise.

If GOF, lab safety protocols have increased scrutiny and the batshit crazy practice of sampling viruses, building more transmissible and virulent viruses which serves close to zero practical purpose is discouraged - that’s the silver lining here. We can’t put the genie all the way back into the bottle but we can mitigate risk going forward.
In the video you posted, in the time range you reference, he made reference to making stronger vaccines. And vaccines that would be effective against all coronaviruses, which all use variations of a spike protein to gain access to cells.

What is wrong with that?

I don't recall any specific mention of GoF research. But I suppose if a person is so motivated, you can stretch the definition of GoF to most any virology research?

I’m far from convinced this episode was a lab leak but the possibility of it eventually in the years, decades ahead is very real. I don’t think that’s a conspiracy theorist position.
In the years,decades ahead ... what? That it will come out for Sars2, or that a new pandemic will be caused by one? Both? Neither?

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Your statements clearly indicate otherwise.

In the video you posted, in the time range you reference, he made reference to making stronger vaccines. And vaccines that would be effective against all coronaviruses, which all use variations of a spike protein to gain access to cells.

What is wrong with that?

I don't recall any specific mention of GoF research. But I suppose if a person is so motivated, you can stretch the definition of GoF to most any virology research?

In the years,decades ahead ... what? That it will come out for Sars2, or that a new pandemic will be caused by one? Both? Neither?
Obtuse

Intentionally harvesting viruses from caves, deep jungles, and god knows where else, amplifying their pathogenicity thru either serial passaging (selective breeding) or engineering designer spike proteins should be recognized as colossal-grade dumb****ery. We can’t possibly predict which permutation of nucleotides will emerge next and spread efficiently, or have a vaccine in hand for every possibility, or have it pre-tested in tens of thousands of people. It isn’t close to worth it, in terms of upside vs downside risk. This is a funding game with a conflict of interest quotient through the roof (re: the investigation), of course they don’t want their of research to die.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
You're gathering quite the accomplished fanbase with this conspiracy stuff. (y)
View attachment 11685
And once again you’re really poor at making good arguments. I suppose throwing around words like conspiracy is designed to shut down discussion. This is China we’re talking about. I don’t need to make up anything. I’m open to arguments from each side. Let’s see them! Not the frozen seafood from Europe one either - you’re on board with that theory as more plausible than an accident?

jamiche

Reaction score
Do you understand the first thing you’re talking about here? It is nothing like the election fraud conspiracy nonsense. If the states were completely uncooperative, weren’t willing to allow observers, recounts and the like you may have a shred of a rational point. You don’t.

The origins and management, disclosure of the early pandemic are not known. China isn’t sharing. They are being incredibly evasive for reasons unknown. They only allowed a small team in over a year later when headed by a researcher who depends on GOF research for his funding and career standing whose organization is part and parcel of the the funding and activities of the WIV. This is akin to putting Lloyd Blankfein in charge of investigating Goldman Sachs in 2009-2010.

It makes no sense, which is why the Biden administration is concerned the WHO is losing credibility as noted in the statement I posted above.
I understand the game you are playing because you guys do it all the time. Craig and humbled beggar have devoted thousands of posts to this game on everything from 9/11 to Seth Rich to Benghazi to Stzrok-Page to election fraud. You are a lame newbie. It goes something like this: When you have no actual evidence of anything, you fill in the space with innuendo and open ended phrasing like "we don't know, but..." Then you post fringe conspiracy theories as quasi facts and tie it up neatly with a nice bow of supposedly circumstantial motives. At a later point, when it gets exposed for the nonsense that it is you, can claim that you never actually said the virus was developed in a Chinese lab. Your comment will be technically true, but.....

Keep trying.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Donald would have delivered 50M doses a week.
Check out his gem from our very own Poobah, Jam Jam himself:

3/23/20

"If you want straight talk out of a political leader, including discussions on restarting the economy as quickly and efficiently as feasible, check out any Andrew Cuomo daily briefing. He's on top of everything in NY, speaks in specifics (none of this "under the bold and decisive leadership of President Trump..." crap that Pence vomits daily) and he's realistic on the expectations front. If the management of this crisis could be turned over to Cuomo, Fauci and Birx, the country would be in better shape."

Own this one Poobah!!!!

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Thanks Trump!

You’ve got to love Joe Biden’s ability to set the bar of achievement low. 100,000,000 doses of vaccine administered in the first 100 days and Trump’s plan already has us at over 2 million a day.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Let's be honest, we have a man and his nurse living rent free in our White House who has no idea why he’s there. He is given daily instructions what to say and do.
A bag of dicks would be better than the previous asshole, so consider this an upgrade.

Top Bottom