The new Corona virus, should we worry?

justthefacts

Reaction score
Yet we have media attacking Desantis like he’s a lunatic maniac and totally ignoring California. Attacking FLs vaccine rollout and ignoring CA which has also had problems. It’s just all so disgusting and transparently partisan.
to your point, how has FL with basically no mitigation measures, outperformed CA with the harshest? NY argument was population density. CA doesn’t have that issue.
At the least, certainly seems like the lockdowns and mandates aren’t particularly effective. Maybe a little? Certainly not worth destroying millions of lives, killing small businesses, and giving a boon to big box stores. And Biden just said he’d be prioritizing minorities and women owned businesses. Equality.
California is the 11th most dense state.

Florida has more deaths per capita than California.

Here's a story about CA's vaccine rollout

balds

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see where CA ends up in early February, after their turn with the 60 day bell curve. Every state gets their turn, regardless of size, density, lockdown measures, etc.

Section2

Reaction score

justthefacts

Reaction score
Where are the press conferences with angry CNN journalists shouting questions at them?
Florida is the 8th most dense state.
I'm not saying Florida doesn't have reasons for having troubles. You said, "NY argument was population density. CA doesn’t have that issue. " That was wrong.

I can't speak for CNN journalists. I can say that CA's issues have been covered widely by the print media. I don't watch CNN or care about CNN. CNN sucks. One of the worst parts about CNN is that Conservatives turn every national problem into a discussion about CNN (or other parts of the media) rather than the real issue.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Will be interesting, when the rubber meets the road. Current Seniors (and their parents) who've lived through a full year of distance learning facing the prospect of dropping $20-40k plus for distance learning? Colleges might find some unpleasant numbers this fall/late summer.
I would like to think that the fall of 2021 at colleges will be much closer to the fall of 2019 than it will be to the fall of 2020. That's my hope, of course, not a prediction.

There could be many "wait and see" students, right now. Still, just because you apply for FAFSA, doesn't mean you lose the ability to apply again if you don't enroll right away that fall, I'm pretty sure. I don't see the harm in applying, even if you choose not to enroll this fall.

MplsGopher

Reaction score

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
DeSantis continues to use data and Science. If only other governors would follow, we’d likely be back to normal soon.

Section2

Reaction score
I'm not saying Florida doesn't have reasons for having troubles. You said, "NY argument was population density. CA doesn’t have that issue. " That was wrong.

I can't speak for CNN journalists. I can say that CA's issues have been covered widely by the print media. I don't watch CNN or care about CNN. CNN sucks. One of the worst parts about CNN is that Conservatives turn every national problem into a discussion about CNN (or other parts of the media) rather than the real issue.
The explanation for why Cuomo gets praised despite NY having the most deaths is because NYC is uniquely dense. Florida has a number of disadvantages as well, highest elderly population, snowbirds from the north flying in, low restrictions. And half the deaths. CA has done everything the experts said to do, and they are in trouble. It calls into question the experts recommendations.

CNN journalists make themselves the story.

justthefacts

Reaction score
DeSantis continues to use data and Science. If only other governors would follow, we’d likely be back to normal soon.

Congrats to Florida for being 27th in the country in percentage of allocated vaccines administered and 31st in unemployment rate.

justthefacts

Reaction score
The explanation for why Cuomo gets praised despite NY having the most deaths is because NYC is uniquely dense. Florida has a number of disadvantages as well, highest elderly population, snowbirds from the north flying in, low restrictions. And half the deaths. CA has done everything the experts said to do, and they are in trouble. It calls into question the experts recommendations.

CNN journalists make themselves the story.
Cuomo hasn't really been praised for 6 months.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
MN Covid-19 Update - Tues, Jan 12

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive Cases 421,946 +1,245. (positive test rate 4.4%)

Health-care workers with positive cases 34,132 +128.

Cases no longer needing isolation 418,610 +1,605.

Active Cases 14,533 -303.

Deaths 5,521 +12.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 3,563 +5.

Patients currently Hospitalized 692+6. Cumulative 22,931 +116.

Patients currently In ICU 136 -6. Cumulative 4,811 +28.

Total tests 5,714,994+28,339.

Wally

Reaction score
Scanning worldometers it looks like MN is doing quite a bit better than the rest of the country right now. Thank you Walz!!!😜😜😜

Check it out, click on yesterday and see some staggering death numbers.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
A few uncomfortable truths:

Cases plateaued before the Walz pause, ie self-regulation. Wisconsin still has better overall numbers, although time will tell. This isn’t over. The Dakotas are interesting and a deeper dive into that might be interesting — medical care, LTCF, indigenous population proportions, demographics.

Still a long ways to go. Figure out the vaccinations, TimWalz.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
FWIW - the MN State Dept of Health has a new page tracking vaccinations. You can get statewide totals for number of doses received and used. Can also call up county-by-county statistics. I will try to post some updates as time permits. I usually post this during my lunch hour - and my work schedule just got changed so I basically lost most of my lunch period.......

MN Covid-19 Update - Weds, Jan 13

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive tests 423,229 +1,290. (positive test rate 6.9%)

Health-Care workers with positive cases 34,275 +143.

Cases no longer needing isolation 419,139 +529.

Active Cases 15,441 +908.

Deaths 5,567 +46.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 3,593 +30.

Patients currently Hospitalized 665 -27. Cumulative 23,018 +87.

Patients currently In ICU 129 -6. Cumulative 4,822 +11.

Total tests processed 5,733,978 +18,694.

Number of people tested 3,104,508 +7,434.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
From a friend:

Just talked to the Minnesota department of health.
The Minnesota department of health can clear me to go back to the workplace 10 days after experiencing my first symptoms if testing positive for Covid-19, as long as I no Ionger show any symptoms. No negative test is required to go back to work. In my wife's case this means a pharmacy. My presumed immunity is 3 months. This is following CDC "Science". However I cannot be cleared to re-enter my own country based upon this exact same data within a 3 month period of which they told me I have immunity.
We are truly being ruled by idiots. So we'll now need to invest several hundred dollars into verifying the exact science that I'm told we need to follow that was good enough to send an American worker back into the workplace.
Makes sense.
Figured someone might be curious if your seeking to travel.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/13/mod...ave-to-live-with-the-coronavirus-forever.html

Moderna CEO says the world will have to live with Covid ‘forever’
The CEO of Covid-19 vaccine maker Moderna warned Wednesday that the coronavirus that has brought world economies to a standstill and overwhelmed hospitals will be around “forever.”

Public health officials and infectious disease experts have said there is a high likelihood that Covid-19 will become an endemic disease, meaning it will become present in communities at all times, though likely at lower levels than it is now.

Moderna CEO Stephane Bancel appeared to agree Wednesday that Covid-19 will become endemic, saying “SARS-CoV-2 is not going away.”

“We are going to live with this virus, we think, forever,” he said during a panel discussion at the JPMorgan Healthcare Conference.

Of course, what "around" means is not defined. Sars1 and Mers are technically still "around". There are also four other human coronaviruses that are "around", but no one has ever heard of them since they don't kill people. https://www.infectiousdiseaseadviso...ctious-diseases/coronaviruses-including-sars/

Note that, it would be in Moderna's best financial interest if indeed Sars2 did stay "around". There's not much profits to sustain a for-profit venture if the demand for their product goes away.

Wally

Reaction score
Only 50....

Beverly Hills plastic surgeon reportedly dies of COVID-19 after patient coughs on him

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Yes, I have been saying young kids should be in school. I think most here agree with that.
K-12 is not only YOUNG kids. Trouble with comprehension or an aversion to honesty?

Have you called Education MN to show your outrage?

Wally

Reaction score
K-12 is not only YOUNG kids. Trouble with comprehension or an aversion to honesty?

Have you called Education MN to show your outrage?
You posted something about kids 10 and under...
Did you read it?

Top Bottom