The new Corona virus, should we worry?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I’m not sure the data is 100% solid but some experts are saying new variant does seem to be more transmissible, maybe up to 1.55x. If true, that’s not good. I’d hope we are gunning to get the 65+ year olds vaccinated immediately. DeSantis has the right idea IMO. By mid-January we should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time in terms of getting both vulnerable old and essential front line HCW people their shots.
Those who will take them.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Those who will take them.
Fear is more contagious than Measles. Be honest, don’t hide adverse effects, embrace them as expected and normal. I have every confidence they will try to F that up too.

That said, nobody should be forced to take it because to be honest it really is still under emergency use only. It’s not licensed. I’d guess the vulnerable have much less fear when they weigh the low to very low risk of adverse effects vs COVID-19. We need to stop f’ing around and get the seniors their shots.

Section2

Reaction score
Because this has been talked about so many times. Mitigation measures aren’t going to stop the spread or spikes in most situations. The hope is to reduce it. California is still in the bottom third of deaths per million. Right now their 7 day average is around 450 and it’ll probably go up to 500-600 before dropping down. For comparison, if California’s peak were to get as bad as South Dakota’s was, they’d have to average nearly 1200 deaths a day.
Yet we have media attacking Desantis like he’s a lunatic maniac and totally ignoring California. Attacking FLs vaccine rollout and ignoring CA which has also had problems. It’s just all so disgusting and transparently partisan.
to your point, how has FL with basically no mitigation measures, outperformed CA with the harshest? NY argument was population density. CA doesn’t have that issue.
At the least, certainly seems like the lockdowns and mandates aren’t particularly effective. Maybe a little? Certainly not worth destroying millions of lives, killing small businesses, and giving a boon to big box stores. And Biden just said he’d be prioritizing minorities and women owned businesses. Equality.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Yet we have media attacking Desantis like he’s a lunatic maniac and totally ignoring California. Attacking FLs vaccine rollout and ignoring CA which has also had problems. It’s just all so disgusting and transparently partisan.
to your point, how has FL with basically no mitigation measures, outperformed CA with the harshest? NY argument was population density. CA doesn’t have that issue.
At the least, certainly seems like the lockdowns and mandates aren’t particularly effective. Maybe a little? Certainly not worth destroying millions of lives, killing small businesses, and giving a boon to big box stores. And Biden just said he’d be prioritizing minorities and women owned businesses. Equality.
Florida ranks 15th in the US in % of their shots given (44.0%). Cali ranks 38th (31.7%).

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Yes, California’s current surge is higher than Florida has seen. But CA’s overal numbers are still better. CA would need to see 12,000 more deaths right now to catch up to Florida’s rate. Florida also seems to be at the beginning of another surge themselves, they’re potentially a few weeks behind as far as timing.

I think there’s little doubt mitigation helps but it’s a legit argument to say it may not all be worth it. I think some restrictions have gone too far.

Section2

Reaction score
Florida ranks 15th in the US in % of their shots given (44.0%). Cali ranks 38th (31.7%).
Clearly CNN was right to grandstand Desantis press conference and attack their poor rollout while ignoring CA

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
slow day for # to report.

Beds-in-use update
Sat
ICU 132 +2
non-ICU 592 -37
total 724 -35

Sun
ICU 131 -1
non-ICU 535 -57
total 666 -58

Mon
ICU 141 +10
non-ICU 545 +10
total 686 +20

MN Covid-19 Update - Mon, Jan 11

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive Cases 420,716 +792. (positive test rate 5.3%)

Health-Care workers with positive cases 34,004 +83.

Cases no longer needing isolation 417,005 +2,249.

Active cases 14,836 -1,273.

Deaths 5,509 +3.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 3,558 +2.

Patients currently Hospitalized 686 +20.

Patients currently In ICU 141 +10.

Total tests processed 5,687,368 +14,993.

Number of people tested 3,089,057 +6,310.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Clearly CNN was right to grandstand Desantis press conference and attack their poor rollout while ignoring CA
A lot like back in the summer when Florida's spike was on CNN and MSNBC every 15 minutes.

California is currently seeing 3x as many cases and deaths compared to Florida this summer after much stricter restrictions for ~10 months.

Yet barely a peep from these 'unbiased' news networks.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
A lot like back in the summer when Florida's spike was on CNN and MSNBC every 15 minutes.

California is currently seeing 3x as many cases and deaths compared to Florida this summer after much stricter restrictions for ~10 months.

Yet barely a peep from these 'unbiased' news networks.
Nor a peep from the Jam Jam Clan......Wallace!!!!! justnofacts / justthelies

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Huh, who could have predicted?
Wow, finally light at the end of the tunnel?
I don't think he's talking about something like "the economy is now 100% open, those who are too risk-averse to participate are free to choose to stay home, while those who are low risk and/or have high risk tolerance are free to choose to go out."

Section2

Reaction score
LOL! Maybe YOU should check YOUR math.

One every 4 seconds = 15 per minute, 900 per hour, 21,600 per day.

If you're going to call someone out, make sure you're correct first.
I love when dpo comes flying in out of nowhere to correct people. With unearned arrogance. What a tool.

John Galt

Reaction score
LOL! Maybe YOU should check YOUR math.

One every 4 seconds = 15 per minute, 900 per hour, 21,600 per day.

If you're going to call someone out, make sure you're correct first.
Thank you for correcting my math, but I wonder why you didn’t correct the original post?

jovs

Reaction score
I’m not sure the data is 100% solid but some experts are saying new variant does seem to be more transmissible, maybe up to 1.55x. If true, that’s not good. I’d hope we are gunning to get the 65+ year olds vaccinated immediately. DeSantis has the right idea IMO. By mid-January we should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time in terms of getting both vulnerable old and essential front line HCW people their shots.
I hope so, I fit that group, not sure I would describe myself as vulnerable old but get me that vaccine, the sooner the better.

balds

Reaction score
A lesser education at the same cost isn’t as appealing to many 🤷‍♂️
Will be interesting, when the rubber meets the road. Current Seniors (and their parents) who've lived through a full year of distance learning facing the prospect of dropping $20-40k plus for distance learning? Colleges might find some unpleasant numbers this fall/late summer.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
FWIW - according to worldometer -

out of the top 27 states in the US - ranked by total covid-19 cases, Minnesota had the fewest new cases in today's report. that's something.

Top Bottom