The new Corona virus, should we worry?

Wally

Reaction score
Also, from what he said, if a student tests positive, and that student was in the same classroom all day, everyone in that classroom has to quarantine. I do not know if that policy is unique to this school or if it is recommended by the State Dept of Ed or State Dept of health.
My kids school has the class go distance for 14 days if anyone in it tests positive.

Wally

Reaction score
We are doing great guys! Nice job Progs
I haven't heard your plan yet. I am sure they would be better off if we went full libertarian and the only kids who go to school are those who's parents can pay to send them to private school...

Most of the people here, even the shutdown advocates think kids shoukd be in school, especially elementary age.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Is a bed really available if there is no one to staff it if there were a patient using it?
Who says there's no one to staff them? (Edit, just saw your reply)

.06% of SD's population is currently hospitalized with COVID, nearly double that of Minnesota which is at .03% currently.

Minnesota is claiming we have to shut things down and stay home (minus retail) because our hospitals are overwhelmed. Some cities in SD have put in a few restrictions, like masks, otherwise businesses remain open and hospitals are not considered overwhelmed.

Why is MN's health care system so much worse than SD's?

Wally

Reaction score

.06% of SD's population is currently hospitalized with COVID, nearly double that of Minnesota which is at .03% currently.

Minnesota is claiming we have to shut things down and stay home (minus retail) because our hospitals are overwhelmed. Some cities in SD have put in a few restrictions, like masks, otherwise businesses remain open and hospitals are not considered overwhelmed.

SD has been sending patients to other states, they push the consequences of their actions on others, the conservative way...

Section2

Reaction score
Should I get my gun and go to district headquarters?
You voted for the people putting these policies in place, not me. You are responsible for a widening achievement gap, hopelessness and isolation of kids. Maybe you should be a little louder about opening the schools if you oppose it so strongly.

Wally

Reaction score
You voted for the people putting these policies in place, not me. You are responsible for a widening achievement gap, hopelessness and isolation of kids. Maybe you should be a little louder about opening the schools if you oppose it so strongly.
Even the schools doing everything to stay open are closing due to the virus levels. Republicans can't force teachers into the classroom.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score

Yeah I honestly don’t know. I don’t think the nurses and doctors are lying, but you’re right that the numbers don’t add up. The only thing I can think of is many of the available beds are for non Covid patients since we know Covid and non Covid patients have to be separated.

Section2

Reaction score
Even the schools doing everything to stay open are closing due to the virus levels. Republicans can't force teachers into the classroom.
Teachers unions have a lot of power. Which your votes have given them.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
This idea that it's all a fait accompli ignores the fact that there are states with many, many fewer deaths per capita.
Right, currently. That doesn’t necessarily mean that will hold over the next 6 months of people cooped up in low humidity conditions. Faster peak, faster fall, generally, seems like a reasonable prediction but time will tell.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
OK - talked to the School superintendent today, so I have more information.

He said they have determined that there have been a few cases of in-school transmission, because contact tracing could not detect any other possible source.

Also, from what he said, if a student tests positive, and that student was in the same classroom all day, everyone in that classroom has to quarantine. I do not know if that policy is unique to this school or if it is recommended by the State Dept of Ed or State Dept of health.

I specifically asked him if this was a "conservative" or "cautious" policy, and he agreed that it was. (and yes, I was thinking of you when I asked that question!)

But he also said that he is responsible for other people's children, and he has to be cautious about anything pertaining to their health and safety.
I suspect a heavy dose of litigation avoidance went into that decision, unfortunately. The attorneys ruin a lot of things.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Damn masks....

99th birthday celebration becomes COVID-19 'super spreader' after all family members infected

PLANO, Texas - They took precautions, but the virus spread among family members from Plano and other parts of the country who traveled to St. Louis, Missouri, for a birthday celebration.

From their 99-year-old father to a 3-year-old great-nephew, more than a dozen relatives felt the effects of the family trip that turned into a super spreader.

Larry Goldsticker is at now at his home in Plano and is feeling better after battling COVID-19, as are his family members who met up in St. Louis last month to celebrate his dad, Ralph Goldsticker’s 99th birthday.

Every person in the family photo below, within hours of returning to their homes, was COVID-19 positive.

“So there’s a total of 12 of us. We were very conscience we thought beforehand,” Larry said. “Everyone quarantined ahead of time. My brother and sister-in-law in San Francisco got tested before they got on an airplane.”

Larry believes after all their precautions, one or more of them picked up the virus while traveling. Some of them flew. Others drove to St. Louis. They all arrived around the same time.

“No one was ahead of everybody else to say you were the one. We don’t know where it came from,” he said. “We all got in from our various places on Friday. Half of us stayed at a hotel, then we were either at my brother’s house who lives in St. Louis or my dad’s house. The only time we left, we went out Saturday night. We had a private room at a restaurant just the 12 of us.”

When Larry Goldsticker returned home, the symptoms began almost immediately. In turn, he says he infected his wife, who did not travel to St. Louis with him and their three children who are in their 30s.

All total, 13 family members were infected from one super spreader celebration.

Larry’s brother in San Francisco is the only person who was hospitalized, and it was an overnight stay for a racing heartbeat.

All are for the most part recovered, including Larry’s 99-year-old dad.

“The biggest impact to him was he lost his appetite for about a week and a half,” Larry said. “I talked to him yesterday and his energy level is not quite back. He’s lost some weight but all in all he’s doing well.”

After his experience, Larry has a warning for others.

“As painful and as hard as it is, it’s not worth the risk,” he said. “We thought we were being smart we weren’t 100% getting it. We got very lucky. It’s everywhere. You just don’t know. So just be smart, be safe and stay healthy.”

Larry, his wife and children are much better now. And even though some of his relatives are here in North Texas, he says there will not be gathering of extended family for Thanksgiving.

“They thought they were being cautious“. LOL. C’mon, folks.

That story has a link to ANOTHER extended family that decided to hold a gathering in a county that is getting hammered right now, with 81000 total cases and a staggering 765 currently hospitalized.

Angry

Reaction score
We are doing great guys! Nice job Progs
This falls back on parents. If you send your kids to public schools in a major cities, you deserve to have dumb kids. The info has been out there for decades.

Last edited:

stocker08

Reaction score
“They thought they were being cautious“. LOL. C’mon, folks.

That story has a link to ANOTHER extended family that decided to hold a gathering in a county that is getting hammered right now, with 81000 total cases and a staggering 765 currently hospitalized.

It's a gamble to gather like that. Fortunately they all recovered. Even the 99 year old grandfather.

Wally

Reaction score
This falls back on parents. If you send your kids to public schools in a major cities, you deserve to have dumb kids. The info has been out there for decades.
Sometimes, but not necessarily. I have heard of some real shit schools in outstate MN to.

Generally if you live in a poor area your schools aren't going to be very good.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Sometimes, but not necessarily. I have heard of some real shit schools in outstate MN to.

Generally if you live in a poor area your schools aren't going to be very good.
It’s generally more the parent/support structure aren’t very good which leads to spawn that aren’t very good. There’s probably not much wrong (within reason) with the educators or facilities. If you magically switched student bodies from a poor school to a good school and vice versa I wouldn’t expect any miracles.

stocker08

Reaction score
It’s generally more the parent/support structure aren’t very good which leads to spawn that aren’t very good. There’s probably not much wrong (within reason) with the educators or facilities. If you magically switched student bodies from a poor school to a good school and vice versa I wouldn’t expect any miracles.
The tools that educators use....such as technology....I'm sure have an effect.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
GWG once told us that SD was proof that statewide restrictions do nothing. Good times.
I'll take your bet right now that Kristi Noem wins re-election in a landslide. How much would you care to pony up in escrow?

She stepped to the forefront, made difficult decisions, empowered the citizens of her state to do the right thing and to live their lives and she didn't crush their economy.

As far as any spike in cases in SD, I'm SURE it has nothing to do with the fact that the SD hunting season kicked into high gear in early-mid October, bringing thousands and thousands of people into SD from out of state. Outdoor resources and recreation typically brings in $1.9 Billion in revenue to SD each year.

Just a coincidence I'm sure. Just plain stupid talk from you, yet again...

Section2

Reaction score
I haven't heard your plan yet. I am sure they would be better off if we went full libertarian and the only kids who go to school are those who's parents can pay to send them to private school...
Lol Wally!!
I agree, my kids are in private, we were done with distance learning. Best thing that came out of covid is getting them in private school.
Private school for me, but not for thee

howeda7

Reaction score
I'll take your bet right now that Kristi Noem wins re-election in a landslide. How much would you care to pony up in escrow?

She stepped to the forefront, made difficult decisions, empowered the citizens of her state to do the right thing and to live their lives and she didn't crush their economy.
Define landslide. No Dem has won a governor's race in SD since 1972. You're not exactly going out on a limb. She only won by 3% last time, which is just terrible for a Republican in SD and shows how bad of a candidate she is.

She had a strong opponent. If he runs again, it will be single digits again. If he doesn't, she will win by double digits because they Dems have zero other decent options.

Plausible Deniability

Coffee is for closers
Reaction score
Define landslide. No Dem has won a governor's race in SD since 1972. You're not exactly going out on a limb. She only won by 3% last time, which is just terrible for a Republican in SD and shows how bad of a candidate she is.

She had a strong opponent. If he runs again, it will be single digits again. If he doesn't, she will win by double digits because they Dems have zero other decent options.
From everything you whackadoos have been howling about here, she should get crushed in a re-election bid; cases spiking, hundreds dying, etc. Using this rationale, her winning at all would apparently be considered earth-shattering and shocking according to you guys

Wally

Reaction score
which leads to spawn that aren’t very good
Lol Wally!!

Private school for me, but not for thee
Yep, only for the special people...😎😎😎

Our school had openings and they don't turn down anyone for lack of money, so in theory anyone could have sent their kids.

Even with our kids in private school I will still be a supporter of public schools, need someplace for the riff raff😎

justthefacts

Reaction score

As far as any spike in cases in SD, I'm SURE it has nothing to do with the fact that the SD hunting season kicked into high gear in early-mid October, bringing thousands and thousands of people into SD from out of state. Outdoor resources and recreation typically brings in $1.9 Billion in revenue to SD each year.

Just a coincidence I'm sure. Just plain stupid talk from you, yet again...
Just to be clear, then, every politician who wins re-election is good and honorable and always did the right thing?

I do like the idea that South Dakota has more tourism than the 40 states that have fewer deaths per capita.

Also, the number of hospitalizations started rising in September

Top Bottom