The new Corona virus, should we worry?

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Do you have kids? Lol

My kids are in school full time, private school. In last 2 days, we have received notice that three different grades are shutdown for 14 days. These are the first ones of the year. Thankfully none in my kids grades yet, just a matter of time with case levels we have now.
I suppose it depends on your perspective on whether kids are commonly spreading it to each other and bringing it home, or whether the parents are bringing it home and giving it to the kids. The latter seems more common in the papers I’ve seen. It’s generally why most experts support keeping schools open but it’s acknowledged the evidence isn’t completely solid at this time.

Wally

Reaction score
I suppose it depends on your perspective on whether kids are commonly spreading it to each other and bringing it home, or whether the parents are bringing it home and giving it to the kids. The latter seems more common in the papers I’ve seen. It’s generally why most experts support keeping schools open but it’s acknowledged the evidence isn’t completely solid at this time.
I am not worried about the virus, I am worried about their school closing. I don't think younger kids spread it much.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
I like how this person says they analyzed this as if it took lots of time to figure out. It’s about 6.5% and took me less than a minute to figure out through the CDC provisional deaths page. 6.5% over a large population is a big deal.
The author or tweeter (?) of the twit was trying to impress with the bar graph, hence the lack of numbers - another form of dishonesty IMO.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Because everyone is lying, they want to crash the economy because????
To hurt Biden?
Why?
I get a kick out of the conspiracy theorists (bozos) who are narcists with an unlimited amount of self-importance that they are absolutely convinced that everything that they don't like/don't agree with/can't understand is some type of massive conspiracy/fraud being perpetuated on them, lol - wake up darlings, you aren't really that important.

Last edited:

jamiche

Reaction score
Donald's next amazing COVID trick will be post presidential. Butt hurt because he's not getting enough credit for the vaccines, he's going to tell his donalds not to take the juice. Not so shockingly, a large percentage of these deplorable dumbf%%ks (yes, tiny brain, less, melvin, galty, jj, beggar, craig et. al, we are talking about you) will go along with it.

cncmin

Reaction score
I am not worried about the virus, I am worried about their school closing. I don't think younger kids spread it much.
A big reason that the spread has not been rampant among school kids is that most schools have set up protocols to keep kids separated as much as possible, and the kids are forced to wear masks while on the bus and at school. Again, another data point suggesting the simple wearing of masks and social distancing works.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Donald's next amazing COVID trick will be post presidential. Butt hurt because he's not getting enough credit for the vaccines, he's going to tell his donalds not to take the juice. Not so shockingly, a large percentage of these deplorable dumbf%%ks (yes, tiny brain, less, melvin, galty, jj, beggar, craig et. al, we are talking about you) will go along with it.
Don't forget Livingat45Qanon , unless that's one of those in your list already.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://www.startribune.com/is-covid-a-disease-of-the-blood-vessels/573158541/

Is COVID a disease of the blood vessels?
Whether it’s rashes on the toes or blood clots in the brain, the widespread ravages of COVID-19 have increasingly led researchers to focus on how the novel coronavirus sabotages blood vessels.

Scientists have homed in on the vascular system — the body’s network of arteries, veins and capillaries, stretching more than 60,000 miles — to understand this wide-ranging disease. Some of the earliest insights came from studying the aftermath of the most serious infections. Those reveal that the virus warps a critical piece of our vascular infrastructure: the single layer of cells lining the inside of every blood vessel, known as the endothelial cells or simply the endothelium.

In a study published this summer, Dr. William Li, a vascular biologist, and an international team compared the lung tissues of people who died of COVID-19 with those of people who died of influenza. The lung tissues of the COVID-19 victims had nine times as many tiny blood clots (“microthrombi”) as those of the influenza victims, and the coronavirus-infected lungs also exhibited “severe endothelial injury.”

“The surprise was that this respiratory virus makes a beeline for the cells lining blood vessels, filling them up like a gumball machine and shredding the cell from the inside out,” Li said.

It’s known that the coronavirus breaks into cells by way of a specific receptor, called ACE2. But scientists are still trying to understand how the virus sets off a cascade of events that cause so much destruction to blood vessels. Li said one theory is that the virus directly attacks endothelial cells.

It’s also possible the problems begin elsewhere, and the endothelial cells sustain collateral damage along the way.

Endothelial cells have a slew of important jobs, including preventing clotting, controlling blood pressure, regulating oxidative stress and fending off pathogens. And Li said uncovering how the virus jeopardizes the endothelium may link many of COVID-19’s complications: “the effects in the brain, the blood clots in the lung and elsewhere in the legs, the COVID toe, the problem with the kidneys and even the heart.”

In that case, the endothelial cells start to promote clotting and high blood pressure.

“The common denominator in all of these COVID-19 patients is endothelial dysfunction,” said Dr. Gaetano Santulli, a cardiologist and researcher at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

“It’s like the virus knows where to go and knows how to attack these cells.”

This study from 2004, done with regards to the SARS1 outbreak, might be relevant: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7167720/

The most remarkable finding was the surface expression of ACE2 protein on lung alveolar epithelial cells and enterocytes of the small intestine. Furthermore, ACE2 was present in arterial and venous endothelial cells and arterial smooth muscle cells in all organs studied. In conclusion, ACE2 is abundantly present in humans in the epithelia of the lung and small intestine, which might provide possible routes of entry for the SARS‐CoV. This epithelial expression, together with the presence of ACE2 in vascular endothelium, also provides a first step in understanding the pathogenesis of the main SARS disease manifestations.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Your calculations don’t include the unconfirmed multiplier which is an unknown but probably 3-10x depending on municipality, state, testing availability, and demographics.

As I said, confirmed is around 5% of 18+ population, then I said let's assume it's really 20%. That's 4x multiplier.

You’re also assuming a constant rate of infection and hospitalization which isn’t what will actually occur.

No sh_t. The point, which you purposefully failed to address, was that even at a constant 250k new people infected per day, it would take 400 days to go from 20% infected to 60% infects (of 18+ population). Thus, the pandemic raging unti 100 days from now, is very much on the table.

Unless you're suggesting the surge will peak at 1-2M cases per day (or more) and then die off, in a matter of 1-2 months.

John Galt

Reaction score
40% of Americans have already said they won’t take the vaccine. Why would anyone unless they are extremely vulnerable? A normal vaccine has 10 years of animal and human safety data to make sure there are no long-term risks. This one will have 9 months worth of data.
For 99.9% of Americans, you’ll be fine if you get Covid. I’ll take those odds any day over the risk of learning later on that the vaccine is worse than the disease.

Top Bottom