The new Corona virus, should we worry?

Wally

Reaction score
Good thing it’s mostly spread at short range rather than aerosolizing the entire school.

Speaking of the airborne spread thing, what is the infection rate at schools? Anyone know? Must be sky high.
I have said the whole time I think elementary schools should be open.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
If one guy somewhere says it, then it surely is the same everywhere else.

Your sources of information have proven time and again to be, at best, suspect. Do yourself a favor and better inform yourself.
I am friends with 4 nurses and 1 doctor who I talk to regularly, it's not just one random person that I don't know.

It's sad that you have joined the club of Mpls/Wally as one of the most unhinged posters on this site.

cncmin

Reaction score
I am friends with 4 nurses and 1 doctor who I talk to regularly, it's not just one random person that I don't know.

It's sad that you have joined the club of Mpls/Wally as one of the most unhinged posters on this site.
no way, FOUR nurses and ONE doctor?! I'm sure they have the exact same experiences as everyone else, and all of the other nurses and doctors complaining about their lack of PPE are just lying.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
MN Covid-19 Update - Sat, Nov 21

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive Cases 258,574 +5,865. (Positive test rate 11.5%)

health-Care workers with positive cases 20,018 +342.

Cases no longer needing isolation 211,513 +7,081.

Active Cases 43,920 -1,271.

Deaths 3,141 +48.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 2,172 +30.

Total patients hospitalized-cumulative 14,745 +283.

Total patients in ICU-cumulative 3,427 +40.

Total tests processed 3,640,177 +51,004.

Number of people tested 2,277,986 +17,692.

LesBolstad

Reaction score

He hasn't joined. He's an original member and actually the president of the Unhinged Poster Club.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
no way, FOUR nurses and ONE doctor?! I'm sure they have the exact same experiences as everyone else, and all of the other nurses and doctors complaining about their lack of PPE are just lying. I relent.
Yes, I will take personal accounts across two states, and multiple healthcare systems, from friends who have no reason to lie to me, over whatever you heard on CNN.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Good thing it’s mostly spread at short range rather than aerosolizing the entire school.

Speaking of the airborne spread thing, what is the infection rate at schools? Anyone know? Must be sky high.
This is just one example, so not claiming to be representative of all schools.

at my local district, of 1098 students, they have had 15 positive cases, with 6 currently active cases.
of 212 staff members, 12 positive cases with 7 active.

The problem at schools is that students and staff have close contact with so many people during the day that many more students and staff have to quarantine. So it's not just the number of positive cases - it's the number of people with potential exposure who go on quarantine and have to stay home. that is why my district went to distance learning. they had so many teachers on quarantine that they literally didn't have enough teachers left to hold class in person.

and - schools have a very high percentage of mask-wearing. in fact, it's required. the only students not wearing masks are athletes during a match. even the Volleyball players and football subs wear masks when not in the game.

so, if I was a cynical s.o.b and wanted to push your buttons, I would claim that the low percentage of positive cases in schools is anecdotal proof that masks work. but I'm far too nice of a person to suggest that. (actually, I'm not a nice person, but I play one on the radio....)

cncmin

Reaction score
Yes, I will take personal accounts across two states, and multiple healthcare systems, from friends who have no reason to lie to me, over whatever you heard on CNN.
So just to be clear, there are no PPE shortages in the medical industry across MN and across the U.S., and you know this because FOUR nurses and ONE doctor said they have no problems at their location(s). You are unbelievably dense, and I'd not believe that what you wrote was anything other than a farce except that you consistently post other unbelievably dense statements, suggesting that you are indeed serious.

Even the slightest of efforts - that being a quick Google search of simple terms, brings up this:

You have the same god-given ability to gather information as I do, if only you'd ever use it.

Last edited:

Wally

Reaction score
Its sad that you post stupid criticisms but never say what you think should be done. Anyone can shoot down any plan, few have the balls to own the consequences.

I have said either lockdown or decide who will die so hospitals can maintain capacity. I am fine with either one. Herd immunity strategy is fine with me as long as the icu is available for car accidents, heart attacks ect.

Main reason I take lots of precautions is to ensure my wife's business doesn't have outbreak, my kids can keep going to school and I can keep working. Guess thst dumb?🙄

Wally

Reaction score

Are they working with covid patients, do they work in hospitals?
Sorry dematologists don't count.😋

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
You guys also forget about the current and future adverse health outcomes resulting from the shutdowns. Physically via delayed diagnosis, poor management, late management. Telehealth.

Psychological problems are a real issue. Mass anxiety, depression and predictable knock on effects down the road. There were a ton on the edge to begin with. This thing lit a bonfire.
I would argue that the pandemic itself has had more or at least just as much of an affect on a lot of those things. Lots of people are choosing to not do much, miss out on family gatherings, etc because of one reason or another. Choosing to do that doesn’t mean it doesn’t suck. Lots of restaurants weren’t reaching capacity even with capacity restrictions.

It’s really impossible to know how much lockdowns and restrictions have added to those things. It seems to me too many people are acting like lockdowns have caused all of those things and that’s not the reality.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Very rough calcs:

US total population: 330M
18+ is 75%: 247.5M

12.33M confirmed cases (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/) which is about 5% of 18+.

Let's say the true number of infected is actually 20%, so 49.5M, leaving 80% or 198M.

To get to 60% infected, would require another let's just call it 100M to become infected.

At 100k new cases per day average, that takes 1000 days
At 150k new cases per day average, that takes 667 days
At 200k new cases per day average, that takes 500 days
At 250k new cases per day average, that takes 400 days
Your calculations don’t include the unconfirmed multiplier which is an unknown but probably 3-10x depending on municipality, state, testing availability, and demographics. The vast majority of Medicare age have taken themselves out of circulation and are in der schrecken bunker with you, so not just the kids.

You’re also assuming a constant rate of infection and hospitalization which isn’t what will actually occur. Things will peter out with decreasing # susceptible.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
I would argue that the pandemic itself has had more or at least just as much of an affect on a lot of those things. Lots of people are choosing to not do much, miss out on family gatherings, etc because of one reason or another. Choosing to do that doesn’t mean it doesn’t suck. Lots of restaurants weren’t reaching capacity even with capacity restrictions.

It’s really impossible to know how much lockdowns and restrictions have added to those things. It seems to me too many people are acting like lockdowns have caused all of those things and that’s not the reality.
People are irrationally frightened, even when proper precautions and protocols are in place. This is a result of constant misinformation from MSM. The early shutdowns were an overreaction, in perfect hindsight, but agree probably not the main problem.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
That's an interesting comment because the nurses and a doctor I know between MN and SD tell me that PPE is not an issue, and hasn't been an issue for a long time.
The RN president said the masks are falling off their faces, IIRC, but that may been someone else. Don’t shoot the messenger. I thought that was an odd comment on the state of affairs up there.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
So just to be clear, there are no PPE shortages in the medical industry across MN and across the U.S., and you know this because FOUR nurses and ONE doctor said they have no problems at their location(s). You are unbelievably dense, and I'd not believe that what you wrote was anything other than a farce except that you consistently post other unbelievably dense statements, suggesting that you are indeed serious.

Even the slightest of efforts - that being a quick Google search of simple terms, brings up this:

You have the same god-given ability to gather information as I do, if only you'd ever use it.
I never said that. I said the comment stating that MN has a shortage of PPE is 'interesting' because the friends I know in health care here say that PPE is no longer an issue for them, and hasn't been for a long time. That's it.

You're trying to put words in my mouth and get mad about things I didn't say, because you're unhinged, and that's what unhinged people do.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
I'm an engineer. I solve difficult problems for a living. Comparatively, I don't think the solutions to any of this are all that difficult. The only part that makes it difficult are intransigent people who are too selfish to care about anyone other than themselves. This could have/should have been tamped down and all-but-over in a month or two, but for the intransigent persons.

Now, if you're arguing that because the intransigent persons exist, that solving the problem by simple methods is impossible, then so be it. But the blame then lies on the selfish, intransigent persons, not on those trying to actually solve the problem.
You don’t work with people. Copy that.

cncmin

Reaction score
I never said that. I said the comment stating that MN has a shortage of PPE is 'interesting' because the friends I know in health care here say that PPE is no longer an issue for them, and hasn't been for a long time. That's it.

You're trying to put words in my mouth and get mad about things I didn't say, because you're unhinged, and that's what unhinged people do.
Do you seriously not understand how the basic distribution of goods works? It is entirely possible (actually, that is the reality) that one place has no problems (your "friends"), and that other places are suffering badly with PPE shortages all the same. What is your issue with this simple concept?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
People are irrationally frightened, even when proper precautions and protocols are in place. This is a result of constant misinformation from MSM. The early shutdowns were an overreaction, in perfect hindsight, but agree probably not the main problem.
You don’t have to be frightened to choose not to do things. I don’t think I’m depressed or afraid but I’d be lying if I said us choosing not to see family and friends right now hasn’t affected me some.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score

at my local district, of 1098 students, they have had 15 positive cases, with 6 currently active cases.

The problem at schools is that students and staff have close contact with so many people during the day that many more students and staff have to quarantine. So it's not just the number of positive cases - it's the number of people with potential exposure who go on quarantine and have to stay home. that is why my district went to distance learning. they had so many teachers on quarantine that they literally didn't have enough teachers left to hold class in person.

and - schools have a very high percentage of mask-wearing. in fact, it's required. the only students not wearing masks are athletes during a match. even the Volleyball players and football subs wear masks when not in the game.

so, if I was a cynical s.o.b and wanted to push your buttons, I would claim that the low percentage of positive cases in schools is anecdotal proof that masks work. but I'm far too nice of a person to suggest that. (actually, I'm not a nice person, but I play one on the radio....)
Why are the staff and students not spacing appropriately, wearing masks? My understanding is MN schools have been on a hybrid system specifically to allow spacing so I’m not sure what to make of this argument. I was told yesterday MN has had a mask mandate for schools which I imagine applies to anyone over 1st to 2nd grade? How did the exposures occur? Sports?

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
You don’t have to be frightened to choose not to do things. I don’t think I’m depressed or afraid but I’d be lying if I said us choosing not to see family and friends right now hasn’t affected me some.
People are delaying medical visits and care in many cases despite symptoms, or otherwise known conditions, to their detriment. This is an unintended side effect.

Wally

Reaction score
Im not scared, yes some people are. I agree, the shutdowns early were overkill, we needed a good dose of death first.

"even when proper precautions and protocols are in place"

I think people are smart enough to realize alot of it has minimal benefits. Only time your guaranteed safe is if your not around anyone. I feel pretty safe with my N95 but I still keep some distance.

People are delaying medical visits and care in many cases despite symptoms, or otherwise known conditions, to their detriment. This is an unintended side effect.
Have the virus running wild with hospitals full is making people stay away more than ever. At the beginning it was irrational fear, now its rational fear if your in a higher risk group.

Wally

Reaction score
Why are the staff and students not spacing appropriately, wearing masks?
Do you have kids? Lol

My kids are in school full time, private school. In last 2 days, we have received notice that three different grades are shutdown for 14 days. These are the first ones of the year. Thankfully none in my kids grades yet, just a matter of time with case levels we have now.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Im not scared, yes some people are. I agree, the shutdowns early were overkill, we needed a good dose of death first.

"even when proper precautions and protocols are in place"

I think people are smart enough to realize alot of it has minimal benefits. Only time your guaranteed safe is if your not around anyone. I feel pretty safe with my N95 but I still keep some distance.

Have the virus running wild with hospitals full is making people stay away more than ever. At the beginning it was irrational fear, now its rational fear if your in a higher risk group.
No, it’s not rational.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score

Follow on question and appreciate a reply in advance. How many secondary cases resulted in the quarantined group? I believe you mentioned a few weeks ago over 300+ were quarantined?

This seems like a good case study of in-school transmission, or lack thereof. What happened?

Top Bottom