The new Corona virus, should we worry?

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Paging all the Herd Immunity Heretics who championed Sweden's approach - IIRC Pompous Mediocre was one.

Sweden is now going to a lockdown and the this graph believe from CNN shows that they have 4 times the number of deaths as their neighboring Scandinavian countries (Denmark, Finland & Norway). Whoops, there it is! Science and public health officials do know what they're doing as long as the populace listens and follows directions.

1605880773163.png

justthefacts

Reaction score
Paging all the Herd Immunity Heretics who championed Sweden's approach - IIRC Pompous Mediocre was one.

Sweden is now going to a lockdown and the this graph believe from CNN shows that they have 4 times the number of deaths as their neighboring Scandinavian countries (Denmark, Finland & Norway). Whoops, there it is! Science and public health officials do know what they're doing as long as the populace listens and follows directions.

View attachment 10556
Good luck with this one. Trumpkins have spent the last 15 pages of this thread ignoring all references to Sweden.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
North Dakota Governor: “We’re calling in 60 Air Force nurses and 60 contracted nurses to help with over run hospitals”

We know SD is in better shape than ND right now. But one health system is representative of two whole states? High IQ Alex at it again.
So sanford health is in its own bubble? Has no idea what's going around it? That's the story we're going with?

Sanford operates in multiple states

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score

View attachment 10556
I shouldn’t be surprised, but you don’t appear to know what you’re talking about. The suggestions related to reducing personal gatherings to 8 people or less did not affect most things. Schools are open, restaurants are open, etc. Masks are not compulsory. Suggestions for the most part, without legal teeth.

It’s a slight messaging change. Mass gatherings are still restricted. They had a terrible issue at LTCFs early on but seem to be tracking most western countries and states at this time.

We still don’t know the magic number at which “herd immunity” will arrive. It’s not as low as some thought but it may not be as high as others think. Time will tell.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
North Dakota Governor: “We’re calling in 60 Air Force nurses and 60 contracted nurses to help with over run hospitals”

We know SD is in better shape than ND right now. But one health system is representative of two whole states? High IQ Alex at it again.
Everything in SD is Sanford or Avera, they are massive and fully capable of supporting the population.

Wally

Reaction score
Interesting that Democrats now consider voluntary surveys Science.
Righties bitch about closing businesses that haven't had contract traced cases, they bitch when data is used for decisions because the data isn't perfect. LOL, why not just say you don't give a shit about how many people die or how strained the hospitals are. Its ok, you can do it.

jamiche

Reaction score
I shouldn’t be surprised, but you don’t appear to know what you’re talking about. The suggestions related to reducing personal gatherings to 8 people or less did not affect most things. Schools are open, restaurants are open, etc. Masks are not compulsory. Suggestions for the most part, without legal teeth.

It’s a slight messaging change. Mass gatherings are still restricted. They had a terrible issue at LTCFs early on but seem to be tracking most western countries and states at this time.

We still don’t know the magic number at which “herd immunity” will arrive. It’s not as low as some thought but it may not be as high as others think. Time will tell.
How about everybody just wear damn masks so that fewer people will die while we wait for the vaxx. Herd immunity is a mirage.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
How about everybody just wear damn masks so that fewer people will die while we wait for the vaxx. Herd immunity is a mirage.
With current policy and messaging probably window dressing. Proof is in the pudding.

I‘m pro- (quality) mask but much more pro-distancing indoors. I saw a commercial snippet on the news last night featuring Walz, Dewine, and some others last night talking about masks but not a word on distancing. This is negligent. These things are not close to equivalent, if we’re talking about low quality consumer grade face coverings.

Three to six feet.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
When people develop black and white thinking on, eg Sweden’s “lockdown”, face coverings they have clearly bought into their own propaganda hook, line, and sinker. Any discussion or nuance, caveats, limitations or inefficiencies is shouted down. School closures are currently the result of unmitigated panic and propaganda by some, affecting a critical mass of educators. Congratulations.

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score

Okay Dr. Atlas - not hard to figure out, you're the type who will never admit they make a mistake by backing a hocus pocus approach - that would infringe on your elitist intellect. The point of posting that specific link, is that it shows the approach failed.

Additional mea culpa -

From their head dingbat -

Sweden's chief epidemiologist has admitted that the country is now experiencing a second wave of coronavirus cases, despite predicting that the country's no-lockdown policy would prevent another virus surge.

HIs supposition that they wouldn't have a bad time of it because they would build up herd immunity an wouldn't experience a second surge and therefore masks, socially distancing weren't required. IT was wrong then and it still wrong - it is proven by the data (deaths) - get it? Just because they haven't implemented those common sense measures that other countries/their neighbors have doesn't mean they are any more correct about that decision now, then when they initially made the choice not to do so. Do you understand basic logic of making an argument?

Additionally, I am well aware that we don't yet know what the herd immunity threshold is, as I was the one who posted what an inane and irresponsible stance this was to take in the first place, with an infectious disease and posted date that showed on the lower end it was~40 to 60% for some IDs and all the way up to 90% for measles. No, I am not gong to go back and find those posts for you honey bear - I speak truth to power boo.

I also followed up with the data in the summer when it showed they only had an ~10% herd immunity and that they would basically take forever to get there and there would be more senseless deaths due to hubris and stupidity.

I don't need to go back and forth and prove you fallibility, you and your posting do an elite job of that on their own.

Last edited:

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Okay Dr. Atlas - not hard to figure our, you're the type who will never admit they make a mistake by backing a hocus pocus approach - that would infringe on your elitist intellect. The point of posting that specific link, is that it shows the approach failed.

Additional mea culpa -

From their head dingbat -

Sweden's chief epidemiologist has admitted that the country is now experiencing a second wave of coronavirus cases, despite predicting that the country's no-lockdown policy would prevent another virus surge.

HIs supposition that they wouldn't have a bad time of it because they would build up herd immunity an wouln't experience a second surge and therefore masks, socially distancing weren't required. IT was wrong then and it still wrong - it is proven by the data (deaths) - get it? Just because they haven't implemented those common sense measures that other countries/their neighbors have doesn't mean they are any more correct about that decision now, then when they initially made the choice not to do so. Do you understand basic logic of making an argument?

Additionally, I am well aware that we don't yet know what the herd immunity threshold is, as I was the one who posted what an inane and irresponsible stance this was to take in the first place, with an infectious disease and posted date that showed on the lower end it was~40 to 60% for some IDs and all the way up to 90% for measles. No, I am not gong to go back and find those posts for you honey bear - I speak truth to power boo.

I also followed up with the data in the summer when it showed they only had an ~10% herd immunity and that they would basically take forever to get there and there would be more senseless deaths due to hubris and stupidity.

I don't need to go back and forth and prove you fallibility, you and your posting do an elite job of that on their own.
Wow. I’m pretty sure I‘ve been consistent on reducing mass gatherings, distancing, and the lack of personal responsibility of individuals in social and family gatherings. We also have problems at our health care facilities.

If you haven’t noticed cases are ramping everywhere. Those that were hoping Sweden had already achieved population immunity are seeing that that was a false hope at this point, and the colder weather and pandemic fatigue is driving a lot of transmission right now including CA where lockdowns have been in effect in many places throughout.

Unlike some people, I don’t make predictions on herd immunity because nobody knows. I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about on that. There is a lot of unsettled science there.

Take your sanctimonious BS elsewhere. Have you bothered to read what Sweden’s policies actually are?

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
When people develop black and white thinking on, eg Sweden’s “lockdown”, face coverings they have clearly bought into their own propaganda hook, line, and sinker. Any discussion or nuance, caveats, limitations or inefficiencies is shouted down. School closures are currently the result of unmitigated panic and propaganda by some, affecting a critical mass of educators. Congratulations.
Propaganda, lol, clown? The guidance and recommendations are coming from medical professionals in those specific fields. I and others are smart and humble enough to STF and listen to those who have the knowledge and expertise we don't and not preen on an anonymous message board and stroke our ego purporting to be some type of Einstein, even though their day job indicates to the contrary.

Tell your pseudo intellectual BS to the families of all the unnecessary dead in Sweden because they wouldn't follow the guidance and advice of the overwhelming majority of public health officials.

And how sad and pathetic that you try and couch your nonsensical reasoning based on enlightenment and deep thinking.

BTW - school closures are a completely separate issue and the reason they have likely been performing so well is that most are following the prophylactic guidance of mask wearing, socially distancing and hand washing.

To wit -

New York City Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza said Wednesday that the positivity rate of the school population is 0.19 percent, much lower than that of the city as a whole.

"The city established the 3 percent infection rate threshold to make sure that schools did not become centers to spread the coronavirus. Since the 3 percent rate has been reached, education will continue but all students will be learning remotely," the union's president, Michael Mulgrew, said.

NYC's overall positivity rate it 3.0%, per the article, and of course varies by population center/location. In this instance, I think they over reacted to the 3.0% and made an error and should have not closed the schools since they are not an incubator at this point for the disease.

Each school situation is difference, of course.

This is a nuanced discussion, where I disagree with you on Sweden and agree with you regarding NYC schools.

justthefacts

Reaction score
By all means, though, have a 50 person Thanksgiving dinner to show the libs who's boss

RahSkiUMah

Reaction score
Everything in SD is Sanford or Avera, they are massive and fully capable of supporting the population.
So sanford health is in its own bubble? Has no idea what's going around it? That's the story we're going with?

Sanford operates in multiple states
Didn't I just say we know SD is in better shape than ND? So why pass off the two like they're in the same situation?

MplsGopher

Reaction score

I would be curious to know the actual % of ICU and overall hospital beds they own/run in the two states .... but my understanding is that Sanford basically owns the Dakotas.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Correct response.

Not really worth engaging with PE further on this topic, I've decided. He's been dead wrong every step of the way, and is just fishing for tangential points to fake up "wins".

He wanted covid19 to be a perpetual disease, like the seasonal flu, because that would do two things he dearly wanted: 1) force decision makers to have to put "freedom" over restrictions/intelligent public health policy/control of people's lives, and 2) maximize his/his clients' profits.

Very happy that he will fail miserably in both.

Also notable his visceral hate for educators and people in authority in higher education.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Propaganda, lol, clown? The guidance and recommendations are coming from medical professionals in those specific fields. I and others are smart and humble enough to STF and listen to those who have the knowledge and expertise we don't and not preen on an anonymous message board and stroke our ego purporting to be some type of Einstein, even though their day job indicates to the contrary.

Tell your pseudo intellectual BS to the families of all the unnecessary dead in Sweden because they wouldn't follow the guidance and advice of the overwhelming majority of public health officials.

And how sad and pathetic that you try and couch your nonsensical reasoning based on enlightenment and deep thinking.

BTW - school closures are a completely separate issue and the reason they have likely been performing so well is that most are following the prophylactic guidance of mask wearing, socially distancing and hand washing.

To wit -

New York City Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza said Wednesday that the positivity rate of the school population is 0.19 percent, much lower than that of the city as a whole.

"The city established the 3 percent infection rate threshold to make sure that schools did not become centers to spread the coronavirus. Since the 3 percent rate has been reached, education will continue but all students will be learning remotely," the union's president, Michael Mulgrew, said.

NYC's overall positivity rate it 3.0%, per the article, and of course varies by population center/location. In this instance, I think they over reacted to the 3.0% and made an error and should have not closed the schools since they are not an incubator at this point for the disease.

Each school situation is difference, of course.

This is a nuanced discussion, where I disagree with you on Sweden and agree with you regarding NYC schools.
Take a deep breath.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Correct response.

Not really worth engaging with PE further on this topic, I've decided. He's been dead wrong every step of the way, and is just fishing for tangential points to fake up "wins".

He wanted covid19 to be a perpetual disease, like the seasonal flu, because that would do two things he dearly wanted: 1) force decision makers to have to put "freedom" over restrictions/intelligent public health policy/control of people's lives, and 2) maximize his/his clients' profits.

Very happy that he will fail miserably in both.

Also notable his visceral hate for educators and people in authority in higher education.
Too funny.

Are you guys finished spewing strawman stupidity?

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Are you guys finished spewing strawman stupidity?
[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'm tapping out, as we're coming up on the holidays.

May you and yours be happy, healthy and socially distanced.

God Bless!

Top Bottom