The new Corona virus, should we worry?

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve heard that before from people I know. The problem is the symptoms seem to be the only thing that’s similar. Kids were also getting very sick back then, but that’s rare now. Hospitalizations weren’t higher than normal, same with deaths. Long care facilities weren’t seeing outbreaks either. If it was around that far back, wouldn’t we have seen the effects from it? There certainly would have been other obvious red flags.
Those are valid questions, for sure. It wouldn't likely account for ALL of the possible discrepancies but at least to some extent, I think some of it can be chalked up to public perception; if you don't have the entire world and the medical community telling you that you're in the middle of a pandemic that's killing THOUSANDS, a whole lot of people are going to be less likely to feel the need to go to the hospital for what by most accounts seem like flu-like conditions. People were going to their doctor, their doctor was telling them they don't know what it was, it's not the flu, and advise some go home and rest remedy in many cases.

I'm not necessarily swearing to it but the parallels are really very striking. Again, combined with the fact that at least in a few work environments that I'm aware of, in cases where this type of illness hit really hard back in Nov-Dec of last year, those folks have almost entirely been unaffected by it this go around, even when one or two in that workplace tested positive and were in close contact with those folks for long periods of time.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
How's it being transmitted then?
Primarily close range droplet and aerosol. Definitions matter.

You guys aren’t into details, then? If this were truly airborne in the traditional sense it would be far more transmissible than it already is, eg in workplaces, stores, clinics.. There is little evidence of airborne transmission, as I already correctly pointed out, except rare occurrences under ideal conditions.

Spoofin

Reaction score
They don’t differentiate between restaurants and bars?

Not a single case linked to a retail setting? Workplace?
Amazing the state developed a pie graph that totally matches what Walz said. Spoon fed to the masses.

howeda7

Reaction score
He is a commie liberal now, mask mandate and all.
Thank God we still have Covid Kristi! She will never give in! She's already in Presidential primary campaign mode. SD residents can get bent.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
He's going to come back with some hyper-literal technical "gotcha" on airborne transmission of pathogens that is tangential to the fact that a vast majority of human to human covid19 transmission occurs when the person being infected inhales virons.

It doesn't really matter how long those virons were hanging around in the air, beyond academic/scientific curiosity. The infections are happening, and at an alarming rate.
Well, it actually matters.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
It's not airborne but it's transmitted via aerosol droplets? I'm not sure why you're trying to split hairs and win a point in a game no one's playing.
It‘s not splitting hairs. There is a spectrum of aerosolizaction. It’s the difference between an HVAC system infecting everyone in that zone versus 3- 6 feet of distancing granting a good level of protection.

Wally

Reaction score
Primarily close range droplet and aerosol. Definitions matter.

You guys aren’t into details, then? If this were truly airborne in the traditional sense it would be far more transmissible than it already is, eg in workplaces, stores, clinics.. There is little evidence of airborne transmission, as I already correctly pointed out, except rare occurrences under ideal conditions.
Panel: Aerosols Driving COVID-19 Spread
— Aerosol experts say evidence doesn't add up for droplets being primary driver

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Amazing the state developed a pie graph that totally matches what Walz said. Spoon fed to the masses.
Yeah, how Walz‘s people continue to blow this crap out and people eat it up is really something. Is it the old Timey farmer slash teacher persona?

Newsom just instituted a curfew that the sheriffs/police have already said they won’t enforce. The bars have already been shuttered for weeks. When 2+2 does not equal 5 then....at least Walz is somewhat likable and probably not cheating on his wife. We’ve got nothing going on.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Yeah, how Walz‘s people continue to blow this crap out and people eat it up is really something. Is it the old Timey farmer slash teacher persona?
I think anything that remotely resembled anything like this in the last couple years was often referred to as a "cult" by a lot of the folks on here.

Wally

Reaction score

Newsom just instituted a curfew that the sheriffs/police have already said they won’t enforce. The bars have already been shuttered for weeks. When 2+2 does not equal 5 then....at least Walz is somewhat likable and probably not cheating on his wife. We’ve got nothing going on.
So your saying let the hospitals get overwhelmed?

I am fine with letting it rip totally, but then we need death panels that exclude enough people from hospital care(old, weak and sick go ride it out at home or nursing home) to keep things running.
I am not even joking, seriously. I want politicians making the calls tho, that should be on them, not on the doctors. I am all for solutions that work and I want them implemented by people we can hold accountable.

The rights plan is disorganized shitshow, the left wants to keep hospitals running smoothly. Give me a rightwing plan to keep hospitals running smoothly and everything open, I am all ears. I gave you my version.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
So your saying let the hospitals get overwhelmed?

I am fine with letting it rip totally, but then we need death panels that exclude enough people from hospital care(old, weak and sick go ride it out at home or nursing home) to keep things running.
I am not even joking, seriously. I want politicians making the calls tho, that should be on them, not on the doctors. I am all for solutions that work and I want them implemented by people we can hold accountable.

The rights plan is disorganized shitshow, the left wants to keep hospitals running smoothly. Give me a rightwing plan to keep hospitals running smoothly and everything open, I am all ears. I gave you my version.
I’m fine with shuttering bars and clubs as they really are probably super spreader hot spots. I’m not sold limited capacity restaurants, gyms, etc are in the same tier.

I’m convinced the vast majority of spread is via small, medium, large social gatherings outside of commercial establishments, intra-family spread, and nosocomial spread in health care facilities but the governors have no power over private gatherings without instituting “martial law”, won’t forcibly remove or otherwise incentivize COV+ to stay at quarantine centers ($ always works...just saying), and CDC guidelines and testing regimens that hospitals use as a legal shield to do the least possible for their workers and their patients are still insufficient to protect many healthcare workers, residents, and inpatients.

I read a lot and to this day I’ve not seen a good breakdown of where chains of transmission and clusters are occurring. The messaging and policies seem totally disjointed.

Last edited:

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Minnesota coronavirus cases by setting
The other category includes funerals, festivals, concerts and salons.

1605847338744.png

Wally

Reaction score
I’m fine with shuttering bars and clubs as they really are probably super spreader hot spots. I’m not sold limited capacity restaurants, gyms, etc are in the same tier.
I agree, which is why I was hoping they had shut the bars earlier. I drive by a couple at night and the number of cars in the parking lot was just rediculous, totally packed.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
From the State Dept of Health website - info on how deaths are tabulated:

Total deaths with laboratory testing are deaths due to COVID-19 with:
  • A positive PCR test (confirmed case) or antigen test (probable case) for SARS-CoV-2
    AND
    • COVID-19 is listed on the death certificate
      OR
      Clinical history/autopsy findings that provide evidence that the death is related to COVID-19 without an alternative cause (i.e. drowning, homicide, trauma, etc.).
Oh - beds in use # finally got posted.

For Thursday - covid-19 patients in ICU 367 +10
covid-19 patients hospitalized but not in ICU 1,384 +16
Total beds in use 1,751 +26.

overall - all beds in use, covid and non-covid:
ICU 1,168 - Capacity 1,440 81% of capacity.
Non-ICU 6,765 -capacity 8,984 75% of capacity

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Bizarre. Without knowing the details seems like a vast overreaction but 🤷‍♂️.

The culling of minks in Denmark prompts a political crisis.

When Ms. Frederiksen ordered the killing of all the animals in Denmark two weeks ago, the military had to step in to assist the country’s approximately 1,100 mink farmers in the slaughter.

Mogens Jensen, the minister of agriculture, condemned the rapid action taken by the government, saying it had no legal basis to kill the animals and destroy the industry.

On Thursday, a Danish newspaper, B.T., reported that Mr. Jensen and five other ministers had warned in September that culling beyond the infected areas was illegal.

The slaughter was halted midway through the effort and the focus shifted to culling minks only in the vicinity of the outbreak tied to the mutated strain of the virus.

But Mr. Jensen had already lost the support of the government and was forced to step down.

The culling of the minks has been met by a broad public backlash, with a study by Aarhus University finding support for the government falling by 20 percent.

Danish authorities said on Wednesday that minks on all farms known to have been infected had been culled.

Top Bottom