The new Corona virus, should we worry?

Pompous Elitist

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 18, 2013
Messages
15,953
Reaction score
1,665
Points
113
Consumer grade cloth masks should be looked at like an insurance policy to the 3-6 foot distancing rule. They may plausibly help reduce dose of infection, and certainly help reduce droplet spatter when someone sneezes or coughs suddenly which we all tend to do.

Bottom line is why not wear a mask as needed when in close quarters. It’s not the end of the world. Weary of people being ****s to each other, particularly scientists that know better, because we think we “know” everything on efficacy of cloth masks. Neither side of the debate does. Probably worthwhile if they’re not used as a substitute for distancing.
 

GophersInIowa

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2008
Messages
26,493
Reaction score
1,866
Points
113
You’re ignoring the fact that CV19 is basically the flu for people under age 55, and especially if those above 55 take personal precautions. It’s such a small number of people that are above age 55 that have to closely interact with others for their job, it is irrational to suggest that EVERYONE has to constantly wear masks and avoid public events solely for that subset of the population. If we’re going to do mandates, make the mandate accommodating when in close contact with those over 55.
As of like a month ago, the median age of hospitalizations in MN was 59. Younger people don’t die at a high rate but they do get admitted to the hospital more often.

People keep talking about how lockdowns are causing so many deaths because of increased depression, overdoes, heart attacks, etc. Yet your plan seems to be to isolate up to 30% of the population because the other 70% can’t be bothered with wearing masks and avoiding the Miley Cyrus concert.
 

MplsGopher

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2017
Messages
17,853
Reaction score
3,364
Points
113
As of like a month ago, the median age of hospitalizations in MN was 59. Younger people don’t die at a high rate but they do get admitted to the hospital more often.

People keep talking about how lockdowns are causing so many deaths because of increased depression, overdoes, heart attacks, etc. Yet your plan seems to be to isolate up to 30% of the population because the other 70% can’t be bothered with wearing masks and avoiding the Miley Cyrus concert.
Since March, we've heard their tripe of "just protect the vulnerable, and open the country up for everyone else".

Just do it. Nevermind how. Or if it's even possible to do that. Figure that out later.

Same tripe of "just protect preexisting conditions, and get rid of the individual mandate and the rest of the ACA".
 

KillerGopherFan

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
18,761
Reaction score
2,456
Points
113
As of like a month ago, the median age of hospitalizations in MN was 59. Younger people don’t die at a high rate but they do get admitted to the hospital more often.

People keep talking about how lockdowns are causing so many deaths because of increased depression, overdoes, heart attacks, etc. Yet your plan seems to be to isolate up to 30% of the population because the other 70% can’t be bothered with wearing masks and avoiding the Miley Cyrus concert.
I’ve never said that people shouldn’t wear masks at places of necessity, like stores, work, school, etc. But your plan seems to be to force people to wear masks at activities or events (or just don’t attend the events at all) that they are participating in voluntarily to protect those 30% that can protect themselves by personal mitigation tactics or isolating.
 

Wally

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 15, 2016
Messages
3,053
Reaction score
1,220
Points
113
“Unlike in other countries, however, there are not expected to be fines or legal consequences for people who decide not to follow any new advice. Bitte Brastad, the chief legal officer at Sweden's public-health agency, said the rules were "something in between regulations and recommendations."”
Swedes follow the rules, so if the government says to do something they do it.
 

short ornery norwegian

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
10,036
Reaction score
1,619
Points
113
MN Covid-19 Update - Mon, Oct 19

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive Cases 124,135 +1,616. (positive test rate 7.3%)

Health-Care workers with positive cases 12,558 +135.

Cases no longer needing isolation 109,963 +1,647.

Active Cases 11,943 -41.

Deaths 2,229 +5.

Deaths at Long-Term care and assisted living 1,571 +4.

Total hospitalized-cumulative 8,916 +50.

Total in ICU-cumulative 2,414 +9.

Total tests processed 2,511,395 +22,098.

Number of people tested 1,694,265 +12,947.
 

short ornery norwegian

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
10,036
Reaction score
1,619
Points
113
You’re ignoring the fact that CV19 is basically the flu for people under age 55, and especially if those above 55 take personal precautions. It’s such a small number of people that are above age 55 that have to closely interact with others for their job, it is irrational to suggest that EVERYONE has to constantly wear masks and avoid public events solely for that subset of the population. If we’re going to do mandates, make the mandate accommodating when in close contact with those over 55.
But, there is a ripple effect to covid that does not exist with the flu.

My niece, who is in her 30's (I think...) is a social worker in Wisc. She was counseling a patient who started crying and took off his mask. The patient had to be admitted for a psych eval, and tested positive for covid. so now, my niece has to quarantine for 14 days. her two kids cannot go to day care. and her husband - who is recuperating at home after recent knee surgery- has to avoid having contact with his wife. you don't get that with the flu.

hey, if you live on an island and have no contact with anyone outside your immediate family, fine, do whatever you want.

But, if you are going to exist in society, like it or not, we are all responsible for each other's health.
 

KillerGopherFan

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
18,761
Reaction score
2,456
Points
113
But, there is a ripple effect to covid that does not exist with the flu.

My niece, who is in her 30's (I think...) is a social worker in Wisc. She was counseling a patient who started crying and took off his mask. The patient had to be admitted for a psych eval, and tested positive for covid. so now, my niece has to quarantine for 14 days. her two kids cannot go to day care. and her husband - who is recuperating at home after recent knee surgery- has to avoid having contact with his wife. you don't get that with the flu.

hey, if you live on an island and have no contact with anyone outside your immediate family, fine, do whatever you want.

But, if you are going to exist in society, like it or not, we are all responsible for each other's health.
What happened to “my body, my choice”?
 

Spoofin

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 11, 2013
Messages
17,522
Reaction score
2,720
Points
113
But, there is a ripple effect to covid that does not exist with the flu.

My niece, who is in her 30's (I think...) is a social worker in Wisc. She was counseling a patient who started crying and took off his mask. The patient had to be admitted for a psych eval, and tested positive for covid. so now, my niece has to quarantine for 14 days. her two kids cannot go to day care. and her husband - who is recuperating at home after recent knee surgery- has to avoid having contact with his wife. you don't get that with the flu.

hey, if you live on an island and have no contact with anyone outside your immediate family, fine, do whatever you want.

But, if you are going to exist in society, like it or not, we are all responsible for each other's health.
To be fair SON, you "get that" with COVID because the Government has said so. The debate is whether they should and/or need to say so.
 

GophersInIowa

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2008
Messages
26,493
Reaction score
1,866
Points
113
I’ve never said that people shouldn’t wear masks at places of necessity, like stores, work, school, etc. But your plan seems to be to force people to wear masks at activities or events (or just don’t attend the events at all) that they are participating in voluntarily to protect those 30% that can protect themselves by personal mitigation tactics or isolating.
Again the 30% cannot protect themselves in many cases. There are all kinds of higher risk people in the workforce. That person going to the concert has increased the chances of them being infected, which then increases the chances they pass it on to someone else. They’ve now increased the chances they spread it to someone high risk. Or to someone that lives with someone that’s high risk. Or someone that visits a relative that’s 60+.

I’m not saying to eliminate risk because that’s not possible. But we should try to reduce the risk. The greater the spread, the harder it is to protect the high risk.
 

Wally

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 15, 2016
Messages
3,053
Reaction score
1,220
Points
113
To be fair SON, you "get that" with COVID because the Government has said so. The debate is whether they should and/or need to say so.
Most restrictions are gone besides large gatherings and masks, yet they keep crying.

Schools is a big issue to, I do think kids who aren't old enough to do home school on their own should be in school. Given the minimal risks of young children its a no brainier to me and I feel bad for lower income people who have to work, its an impossible situation for them.

We put our kids in private school because the bs was to much to deal with, love it so far. Plus with all the delays inherent with whats going on now I can't see them going back to public school.
 

RahSkiUMah

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 26, 2018
Messages
345
Reaction score
343
Points
63
What happened to “my body, my choice”?
I think it’s a little crazy to threaten legal action and fines against people for not wearing a mask, I don’t think that’s going to accomplish anything, especially in low risk settings. But your line of thinking is starting to sound more akin to: if I want to drive drunk, welp my body my choice, if you don’t like it then stay the hell off the road...
 

KillerGopherFan

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
18,761
Reaction score
2,456
Points
113
I think it’s a little crazy to threaten legal action and fines against people for not wearing a mask, I don’t think that’s going to accomplish anything, especially in low risk settings. But your line of thinking is starting to sound more akin to: if I want to drive drunk, welp my body my choice, if you don’t like it then stay the hell off the road...
That’s a gross distortion. We’re not taking about being irresponsible to a point of putting people greatly at risk. And, no one can protect themselves from a drunk driver. It just unlikely that a specific person will come across a drunk driver.

A high risk for CV person can and should limit their daily activities and interactions with others while taking maximum protections. But that doesn’t mean that every member of the public has to do the same for others. They have civil rights and liberties.

The point about ‘my choice, my body’ is about the hypocrisy of the left that ignores that they are killing unborn babies. I’m not a big pro-lifer, but that saying extends to abortions carried out in the third trimester of gestation. You can’t run around claiming some civil right for yourself and then want to take others away. Everyone should make a reasonable compromise and concession. Allowing people to attend events or indoor restaurants should be and is up personal discretion.
 

howeda7

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
47,781
Reaction score
5,472
Points
113
Swedes follow the rules, so if the government says to do something they do it.
You mean they don't weep about haircuts, scream "My rights! My rights!" grab their guns and march on the Governor's office?
 

KillerGopherFan

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
18,761
Reaction score
2,456
Points
113
The left and the media are hyperventilating in an attempt to make people believe Covid is getting worse and causing more deaths. It is not. And soon, we’ll have therapeutics that are available to the most vulnerable and vaccines for those who choose to take it.

B2DB4057-37BE-46DC-A53C-78DE48A55C3A.jpeg
 

BarnBurner

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2010
Messages
12,198
Reaction score
934
Points
113
As of like a month ago, the median age of hospitalizations in MN was 59. Younger people don’t die at a high rate but they do get admitted to the hospital more often.

People keep talking about how lockdowns are causing so many deaths because of increased depression, overdoes, heart attacks, etc. Yet your plan seems to be to isolate up to 30% of the population because the other 70% can’t be bothered with wearing masks and avoiding the Miley Cyrus concert.
But “your” plan.......
 

GoodasGold

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
10,157
Reaction score
1,010
Points
113
The left and the media are hyperventilating in an attempt to make people believe Covid is getting worse and causing more deaths. It is not. And soon, we’ll have therapeutics that are available to the most vulnerable and vaccines for those who choose to take it.

View attachment 9848
Soon. Very soon. Two weeks max. By executive order. Believe me.
 

short ornery norwegian

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
10,036
Reaction score
1,619
Points
113
A high risk for CV person can and should limit their daily activities and interactions with others while taking maximum protections. But that doesn’t mean that every member of the public has to do the same for others. They have civil rights and liberties.
Who gets to decide? Do I get to decide how you should limit your activities? Or does everyone decide for themselves? and if no one wants to make the decision, then what happens?

total freedom is total anarchy.
 

KillerGopherFan

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
18,761
Reaction score
2,456
Points
113
Who gets to decide? Do I get to decide how you should limit your activities? Or does everyone decide for themselves? and if no one wants to make the decision, then what happens?

total freedom is total anarchy.
Wow. I think you’re making my argument for me. Total freedom? Is someone going to breakdown your door to infect you?

Private entities, like grocery stores, make the rules on their private property. Local government makes the rules on government property. Public places, mostly outdoors I would presume, it’s a personal decision. That is not anarchy.
 

GophersInIowa

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2008
Messages
26,493
Reaction score
1,866
Points
113
The left and the media are hyperventilating in an attempt to make people believe Covid is getting worse and causing more deaths. It is not. And soon, we’ll have therapeutics that are available to the most vulnerable and vaccines for those who choose to take it.

View attachment 9848
8 months into this and you still don’t understand that hospitalizations and deaths lag behind the case count rises.
 

LesBolstad

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
4,959
Reaction score
787
Points
113
Of course. It’ll never get as bad as early on when looking at deaths. Still doesn’t mean hospital and death rates aren’t certain to go up shortly.
Haha, Coronbro still not understanding what's going on.
 

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
9,898
Reaction score
1,545
Points
113
But, there is a ripple effect to covid that does not exist with the flu.

My niece, who is in her 30's (I think...) is a social worker in Wisc. She was counseling a patient who started crying and took off his mask. The patient had to be admitted for a psych eval, and tested positive for covid. so now, my niece has to quarantine for 14 days. her two kids cannot go to day care. and her husband - who is recuperating at home after recent knee surgery- has to avoid having contact with his wife. you don't get that with the flu.

hey, if you live on an island and have no contact with anyone outside your immediate family, fine, do whatever you want.

But, if you are going to exist in society, like it or not, we are all responsible for each other's health.
IN summary, most definitely YES, the media is scaring the living shit out of people regarding the virus and causing mental health problems and psychological problems all across the country, multiplying the problems caused by the virus by several factors. The secondary and unintended consequences of the actual virus that have been caused by the hysteria are going to be with us for a very, very long time. And it's just a shame some people want it to be that way
 

GopherWeatherGuy

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 24, 2013
Messages
8,060
Reaction score
1,404
Points
113
Of course. It’ll never get as bad as early on when looking at deaths. Still doesn’t mean hospital and death rates aren’t certain to go up shortly.
But that's the problem with the media reports of 'cases'. They'll go on and on about how cases are reaching highs that we haven't seen in months, but fail to mention how the CFR has significantly dropped. They also fail to mention how a large portion of these could be false positives, especially with asymptomatic cases. They need to keep driving the fear based narrative....
 
Top Bottom