The new Corona virus, should we worry?

Spoofin

Reaction score
What is the strategy to protecting the vulnerable? Do we lockdown the vulnerable? Do we assign risk to individuals and then enforce some other protection measures? Do we put it on the community to protect the vulnerable?

I am fully with you that we mostly need to protect those higher risk individuals but how do we do it?
For starters you can test the crap out of folks in LTCFs and those that work in LTCF. Rapid testing. Frequent testing. Not sending the sick back into LTCF would have been a better plan too.

howeda7

Reaction score
One of these is not like the others

Active CasesPopulationCases/million
MN11,071.005.63963201,963.07
WI29,514.005.82243405,069.01
ND4,546.000.76206205,965.39
SD6,062.000.88465906,852.36
IA22,092.003.15507007,002.06

RahSkiUMah

Reaction score
For starters you can test the crap out of folks in LTCFs and those that work in LTCF. Rapid testing. Frequent testing. Not sending the sick back into LTCF would have been a better plan too.
A great start!

Spoofin

Reaction score

Do you think States that didn’t do lockdowns expected lower case counts by not doing them? Every time someone posts about cases going up in areas, schools, etc. that “opened” they are broadcasting their very poor understanding of the situation.

gopher7

Reaction score
Don't those that are at high risk have at least some modicum of responsibility to keep themselves safe and take proper precautions? No responsibility or accountability for their own health at all?
Liberals believe a role of government is to keep people healthy. This is why they are more likely to support business shutdowns, no sports, distance learning, forced mask wearing, etc, and is why they like the idea of universal health care.

Conservatives believe the government has no such role. They think that if someone wants to risk getting sick by going to a bar, that should be their decision to make.

So if the government says "College students, you are not allowed to gather in groups of more than 25, because even though COVID probably won't seriously harm you, you could get it and then spread it to vulnerable Grandma at Thanksgiving"... Conservatives would think this is a trample on individual liberties. But in the interest of the government keeping the society at large more healthy, liberals may think it makes complete sense.

Wally

Reaction score
No, it's the fault of Walz, who did not test the employees bringing the virus into the facilities.

With visiting more or less shutdown, the only way Covid is coming into a nursing home/LTCF is via infected staff, or the occasional new admission (who ought to be quarantined 14 days on arrival). See my post above.
Where are the CDC guidelines?

Wally

Reaction score
Liberals believe a role of government is to keep people healthy. This is why they are more likely to support business shutdowns, no sports, distance learning, forced mask wearing, etc, and is why they like the idea of universal health care.

Conservatives believe the government has no such role. They think that if someone wants to risk getting sick by going to a bar, that should be their decision to make.

So if the government says "College students, you are not allowed to gather in groups of more than 25, because even though COVID probably won't seriously harm you, you could get it and then spread it to vulnerable Grandma at Thanksgiving"... Conservatives would think this is a trample on individual liberties. But in the interest of the government keeping the society at large more healthy, liberals may think it makes complete sense.
Conservatives also think they arenot responsible fir how there actions affect others. Lindsey Graham crying today about being asked to get tested before his debate. Poor me, boohoo.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score

Why would a college student - not - socially distance from Grandma at Thanksgiving? Why would Grandma attend Thanksgiving dinner this year?

bga1

Reaction score
Conservatives also think they arenot responsible fir how there actions affect others. Lindsey Graham crying today about being asked to get tested before his debate. Poor me, boohoo.
All around the world people are starving to death by the hundreds of thousands because of lock downs in countries like ours. I actually think we are responsible for that.

howeda7

Reaction score
Nothing matters until it effects you personally.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
Where are the CDC guidelines?
Good question, and I don't know the answer. The CDC has been only partially useful during the whole pandemic. They screwed up the initial tests, which sent us on a trajectory toward many more deaths than we would have had if they had done it right. And lots of mixed signaling.

If I had been Trump, I would have long ago cleaned house at the top eschelons of the CDC. But then where do you find competent people to replace them, and changing leadership mid-pandemic might not be a great idea, which I suppose is why he felt obligated to stick with the current CDC non-leadership.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
Here's an interesting article about how the WHO helped immensely to spread the Coronavirus.

They promoted open borders and told countries to not shut down their borders. This was more politics and economics than anything to do with world health. Well, at least Trump was smart enough to ignore the WHO recommendations (not sure Biden would have been, as he was calling it racist at the time).

Anyway, a huge number of European infections and nation-to-nation spreading came from skiers in the Austrian Alps bringing it back home with them. They probably got it from Italian skiers there. An interesting read.

I can understand that too, because the skiing there is great.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/world/europe/ski-party-pandemic-travel-coronavirus.html

Donovan

Reaction score
Nursing home residents stage heartbreaking protest outside facility: 'Rather die from COVID than loneliness'

Wally

Reaction score
All around the world people are starving to death by the hundreds of thousands because of lock downs in countries like ours. I actually think we are responsible for that.
We are responsible for other countries lockdowns... WOW conservatism of a whole new dimension!!!

Spoofin

Reaction score

Oh hell, I just noticed that not only are you intentionally using a worthless stat like cases you are using “active cases” - something that is cherry picked and that is defined differently from state to state. More dishonest crap from Howie.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score

The government's role in public health has been a fixture in American life as long as any of us has been alive. It's only recently that the hyper-conservatism of the day has turned it into some kind of left/right wedge issue.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Johnson and Johnson phase 3 vaccine trial self-paused yesterday over adverse event. AstraZeneca still on regulatory hold. These are adenoviral vector vaccines.

Pending outcome of the pause that leaves Moderna, Pfizer/BioNTech mRNA vaccines as frontrunners, these unfortunately require extraordinary cold storage conditions and two doses. Novavax nanoparticle protein also in phase 3. Efficacy data should start coming in shortly.

That leaves Sputnik V out of Moscow and a trio of candidates from our devious little friends in China as the other early options. Any volunteers?

GopherJake

Reaction score
Good question, and I don't know the answer. The CDC has been only partially useful during the whole pandemic. They screwed up the initial tests, which sent us on a trajectory toward many more deaths than we would have had if they had done it right. And lots of mixed signaling.

If I had been Trump, I would have long ago cleaned house at the top eschelons of the CDC. But then where do you find competent people to replace them, and changing leadership mid-pandemic might not be a great idea, which I suppose is why he felt obligated to stick with the current CDC non-leadership.
If only he had felt obligated to hang onto the pandemic response plan.

bga1

Reaction score
If only he had felt obligated to hang onto the pandemic response plan.
What would you like to see done from the response plan that isn't being done? What part should the states play?

bga1

Reaction score
We are responsible for other countries lockdowns... WOW conservatism of a whole new dimension!!!
The US is the world's leading food exporter by a factor of 2 over the next country in line. When there is a crisis, the rich get fed, the middle class gets fed and the poorest of the poor suffer due to lack of food to donate in the system. The poor have suffered world wide from the lock downs. If the US doesn't lock down and restrict activities, many fewer starve. You can turn your head away from it but it doesn't change the truth of it. The lockdowns have damaged our country but also the poor people around the world. They are counter productive and selfish.

Wally

Reaction score
The US is the world's leading food exporter by a factor of 2 over the next country in line. When there is a crisis, the rich get fed, the middle class gets fed and the poorest of the poor suffer due to lack of food to donate in the system. The poor have suffered world wide from the lock downs. If the US doesn't lock down and restrict activities, many fewer starve. You can turn your head away from it but it doesn't change the truth of it. The lockdowns have damaged our country but also the poor people around the world. They are counter productive and selfish.
You are stretching hard on this one....

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Hey - new beds in use numbers. Last comparison I have is Oct 8. On that day, there were 471 beds in use and 133 in ICU. so beds in use is up 10 since last Thursday, while ICU beds are up 1.

MN Covid-19 Update - Tues, Oct 13th

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive Cases 114,574 +1,150. (positive test rate 5.9%)

Health-Care workers with positive cases 11,773 +119.

Cases no longer needing isolation 102,624 +1,248.

Active Cases 9,799 -120.

Deaths 2,151 +7.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 1,524 +2.

Patients currently hospitalized 481. Cumulative total 8,500 +79.

Patients currently in ICU 134. Cumulative total 2,328 +17.

Total tests processed 2,355,124 +19,444.

Number of people tested 1,600,861 +11,109.

Top Bottom