The new Corona virus, should we worry?

bga1

Reaction score
You guy blew a golden opportunity to win in a landslide, had he handled Covid like a pro instead of the jackass he is. Own it.
There was never a way that the media would let Trump look good on this. The media = #resistance. Everything he says- they aim to hurt him with. You know this. You explode under almost no pressure right here on the GH. No one has ever faced the daily onslaught of hate and negativity from the media as Trump has.

The big problem is that the media cooperated with the coup attempts and Trump called them on it. Once that happened- Trump had to be smashed at every turn.

Trump has done somewhere between good and great on covid. He mobilized the private sector. He cut off China early and he actually did listen to "experts" like Fauci. If there is to be a criticism of Trump, he stuck with Fauci far too long and Fauci was knifing him in the back as often as possible with his actions.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
I particularly like this quote ...

[The Lockdown] was guided by estimates that were proposed on March 12…In this work, however, many things were wrong: the models were wrong, the projections were wrong; the simulations are still not reproducible, the justifications remain unfounded. And the studies currently published repeat the same errors: naive and outdated models, unstable algorithms, useless predictions…Yet it is on such simulations that the paralysis of half of humanity was played out.

Does the above remind anyone of Osterholm?

GopherJake

Reaction score
There was never a way that the media would let Trump look good on this. The media = #resistance. Everything he says- they aim to hurt him with. You know this. You explode under almost no pressure right here on the GH. No one has ever faced the daily onslaught of hate and negativity from the media as Trump has.

The big problem is that the media cooperated with the coup attempts and Trump called them on it. Once that happened- Trump had to be smashed at every turn.

Trump has done somewhere between good and great on covid. He mobilized the private sector. He cut off China early and he actually did listen to "experts" like Fauci. If there is to be a criticism of Trump, he stuck with Fauci far too long and Fauci was knifing him in the back as often as possible with his actions.
Whining about the media is for weaklings. Your view of how he has handled the golden opportunity he was handed is pure delusion.

LesBolstad

Reaction score
I recommend reasonable people following the science check this out:

1602261557003.png

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
Perhaps a debate between these and other like-minded folks and Osterholms of the world is in order? Listening to Osterholm (for many months now) it’s clear on an intellectual level he knows the problems and impossibility of continued lockdowns but given his influence he doesn’t want “blood on his hands” and he’s a genuinely very empathetic person. Of course, lockdowns have their own negative effects and unintended consequences that aren’t so obvious at first, and it takes time to evolve hysteresis of entrenched positions.
I don't think he's very empathetic to the poor people who lost their job to Covid and might lose their home mortgage or apartment soon. What are we going to do, build concentration camps to house the people who lost their livelihood and housing to Covid? Better than nothing, I suppose, but wouldn't that make us a gas chamber or two shy of Hitler's treatment of the Jews and Gypsies? And the people that have/will commit suicide (I know of one already) might have preferred a gas chamber.

I don't consider Osterholm to be very charitable. I think he's more analogous to a Himmler.

Blizzard

Reaction score
Lookup George "Do the opposite" episode of Seinfeld.
I never did see an episode of that show. I remember seeing Seinfeld once on Carson though. Fairly humorous. I'm really just wondering what people thought Trump should have done. How could he have handled this more like a 'pro'?

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Hospital bed numbers are back. the State Dept of Health added a new page showing beds in use, with numbers for covid ICU and non-ICU. Last comparison point I have is Sept 23rd, when total beds in use was 303 and ICU beds in use was 148. So since then, ICU # are down, but total hospitalizations are up.

MN Covid-19 Update - Fri, Oct 9

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive cases 109,312 +1,401. (4.4% positive test rate)

Health-Care workers with positive cases 11,284 +107.

Cases No longer needing isolation 97,715 +461.

Active Cases 9,476 +915.

Deaths 2,121 +14.

Deaths at long-term care and assisted living 1,513 +12.

Patients currently Hospitalized 471 +14.

Patients currently In ICU 133 -6.

Total tests processed 2,256,165 +31,857.

Number of people tested 1,543,542 +16,983.

USAF

Reaction score
The US is one of the most obese nations in the world. Nearly 40% are obese. The politicized CDC and our horrid media has been poor in communicating this message, probably because it would soften criticism of Trump. No fair minded person can blame Trump for the fact that America is obese and therefore our population may be subject to a much greater death rate and hospitalization rate than other nations that are far less obese (most nations). See below this information about the statistical dangers of obesity and covid 19:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has expanded its coronavirus risk warning to include people who are considered overweight, meaning over 70% of U.S. adults may be at an increased risk for severe illness related to COVID-19.

According to CDC statistics, over 71% of Americans aged 20 and older are considered overweight or obese. Obesity is defined as having a body mass index of between 30 and 40, with severe obesity being diagnosed when BMI is 40 or above. Being overweight, however, is classified as having a BMI greater than 25 but less than 30. The health agency now says that if you fall into that category, it “might increase your risk of severe illness from COVID-19.”

Other risk factors that might increase the risk of severe illness include asthma, cerebrovascular disease, cystic fibrosis, hypertension, immunocompromised state, neurologic conditions, liver disease, pregnancy, pulmonary fibrosis, thalassemia and Type 1 diabetes.

The CDC’s update follows numerous studies that have found that obesity may increase the risk of COVID-19-related death, including one that found the increase to be as much as 50%. The same University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill study found that those with a BMI of over 30 are more likely to be hospitalized or admitted to the ICU due to the virus. According to the research, obesity is over tied to other underlying risk factors for novel coronavirus identified by the CDC such as heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, chronic kidney, liver disease and hypertension.

Further, individuals who have obesity can have metabolic changes that result in inflammation, issues with insulin, and the immune system which can hamper the body’s ability to fight off COVID-19. The researchers suggested preventative action among the obese population that was not unlike the steps listed by the CDC.

“Given the significant threat COVID-19 represents to individuals with obesity, healthy food policies can play a supportive – and especially important role in the mitigation of COVID-19 mortality and morbidity,” Barry Popkin, Ph.D., professor of nutrition at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, said in a news release at the time.

Beeg logic:

Paragraph one: "The politicized CDC" has been horrible about telling us the dangers of obesity.

Followed by:

Long, detailed CDC warning about the dangers of obesity.

LOLOLOLOL

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
Quit applying logic and common sense. There is likely a time where New York was doing great too if we want to look on a micro scale.
Per the quoted graph, South Dakota is now doing 5 deaths per day per million population.

On their peak days (respectively) ...

New Jersey was doing 58.4 deaths per day per million population.
New York was doing 52.7 deaths per day per million population.
Massachusetts was doing 36.6 deaths per day per million population.

(Note: These are actual peak days. The numbers would be slightly lower for the daily average on a peak week.)

Last edited:

bga1

Reaction score
This cannot be stated often enough: Both the economic hit we took and the death rates have been most evident in BLUE STATES. This is where the damage is being done. I think it is on purpose.
Even if it is not, it is evident that lock downs don't work and do more harm than good.

Actually this info below tells me that Trump could lose the popular vote by 4 or 5% and still win the EC if the "blame Trump for the pain" effort in these states works and he gets routed in the blue states yet wins the rest of the nation where good management has reduced the fallout.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Yeah, being handed a pandemic is always a golden opportunity. I am being honest about the media. You are not.
Franklin Roosevelt was elected 4 times during a Depression and World War. Your man blew it. Not at all shockingly. He's a jackass.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
So I see that Walz is extending his powers for another 30 days. This time based on 38% "community infection rate." Can someone explain what this important parameter is that the governor uses to extend his powers?

I see that today we have 8 deaths - 6 from nursing home facilities............
> This time based on 38% "community infection rate." Can someone explain what this important parameter is that the governor uses to extend his powers?

That's a new one, and sounds pretty wacky.

It might be the result from community-level seroprevalence surveys. At least that's the first result that popped up from a Google search. See ...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/community-level-seroprevalence-surveys.html

If so, that implies that he thinks that 38% is not enough for herd immunity. At a time when some researchers think we might reach herd immunity at around 20-25%. And we need that number higher, not lower - closer to some magic number that scientist Timmy Walz picks out of his ass.

If this is the latest trick, then all he has to do is pick a place like Ely to do his seroprevalence survey, in order to extend his dictatorial powers. In other words, Walz is declaring himself dictator until 90% of the people living in "god's country" are infected.

Last edited:

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
So I see that Walz is extending his powers for another 30 days. This time based on 38% "community infection rate." Can someone explain what this important parameter is that the governor uses to extend his powers?

I see that today we have 8 deaths - 6 from nursing home facilities............
> I see that today we have 8 deaths - 6 from nursing home facilities............

Still no measures put into effect for nursing homes, I see.

Last edited:

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
#1 - they did get shut down
#2 - they still reduce capacity, and access to equipment, which has prevented me from getting my much needed treadmill workout in multiple times
#3 - other states still have them closed in the name of COVID
I have some friends in Chicago that own some gyms, and at half capacity, they are losing their shirt.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
THis is explained here. Basically the idea is they're tracking the number of people who caught it in Minnesota without knowing how.

Oh geez, that's not what I thought, and you might as well kiss your freedoms goodbye, Minnesotans!

We (Minnesota) will set up a totally inadequate Covid tracking system, and then as long as Covid cases exceed that capabiity of our inadequate tracking system to keep up with it, we will declare more lockdowns.

This is so bad, that in one's most devious nightmare, one would be hard-pressed to conjure up this sch^t.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
Correct. Hospitalizations, deaths, then hospitalizations again, then hospital capacity, then cases, then positivity rate, now percentage of cases with unknown origin. Can't wait to see what's next. Nearly all cases are of unknown origin. Zero chance that 38% is accurate. Only difference is now they have a statistic that they can completely make up to fit their desired numbers, since the other metrics didn't cooperate.
The next important stat will be "percentage of Covid patients that die while the Twinkie they're eating is still in their hand." And it will have to be greater than 10%. We're going to have to donate a lot of Twinkies to hospitals to get out of this mess.

/s

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
The # of new cases today is the highest since August 14th. 7-day average is the highest since August 19th. Not great.

But each case today represents a smaller number of infections than a case in mid-August. Because we are testing more broadly. Thus, the X-factor multiplier (that you need to multiply new cases by, in order to estimate new infections) has gotten smaller.

So, if you actually knew the (changing over time) X-factor, and we multiplied new cases by X-factor at that time, we'd see that number of new infections is smaller now that in mid-August.

The non-availability of good/complete data makes the fear-mongering much easier to accomplish.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
LOL, it was GW Bush who normalized trade with China...
Clinton gave China most-favored nation status and got them into the WTO with no performance conditions. That Bush was in office when they finally formally entered the WTO, is of no consequence - Clinton did the work. However, the movement to offshore our manufacturing to China, that started mainly in the Clinton administration, was continued by the subsequent Bush and Obama/Biden administrations, with Trump being the first President to try to start establishing some better tariffs to try to induce the Chinese to compete fair (they provide subsidies to all the industries they want to monopolize).

Of course, we can go all the way back to Nixon to demark when we first tried to open the door to China, but that just set the stage for later Presidents (and Vice Presidents) to give away the farm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom