The new Corona virus, should we worry?

Section2

Reaction score
Exactly and I stated why, because of supply. I think suppy should be pushed by feds, only ones who can do it and people be encouraged to wear N95's. Is that SO HARD??? Or do you just want this to go on for years? N95's would probably stop this virus in it's tracks.
Nope, it’s demand not supply. If everyone wanted and wore N95s, the market would fill the demand. They are not comfortable to wear, most people wouldn’t wear them. Probably why they weren’t mandated. Can’t create a wedge issue if your side doesn’t comply.

Wally

Reaction score
Supply and demand. Nothing to do with Trump. Masks were mandated, no matter the quality. Market responded. Billions of masks are being produced.
Yes but you could wear a rag. You cannot mandate N95's without adequate supply. I never said to mandate N95's I said anyone with a brain should wear one if your going to wear a mask...

Spoofin

Reaction score
Exactly and I stated why, because of supply. I think suppy should be pushed by feds, only ones who can do it and people be encouraged to wear N95's. Is that SO HARD??? Or do you just want this to go on for years? N95's would probably stop this virus in it's tracks.
Why don’t you wear one when playing hockey? Do you not want to stop COVID in its tracks?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
This year has been truly eye-opening for me. I’ve learned the Democrats are so powerful that they convinced the world to go along with all this to make Trump look bad, and that they control the funding for research in the public and private sectors in the US and around the world. I’ve also learned that the scientific and medical communities are full of corrupt people that are willing to lie for potential funding and personal gain.

bga1

Reaction score
This year has been truly eye-opening for me. I’ve learned the Democrats are so powerful that they convinced the world to go along with all this to make Trump look bad, and that they control the funding for research in the public and private sectors in the US and around the world. I’ve also learned that the scientific and medical communities are full of corrupt people that are willing to lie for potential funding and personal gain.
Global warming.

Wally

Reaction score
Why don’t you wear one when playing hockey? Do you not want to stop COVID in its tracks?
Good memory... Because I couldn't breath when it gets soaked with sweat...

I figure I will get infected there, but at least with my mask I won't infect anyone outside my immediate family. If everyone wore them when possible it will help.

I am not against the B1G playing football, but I do understand why they pushed it back.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Virus has a finite life outside of a host, in most cases I think it's measured in hours. If the virus is in a gob of snot it can "live"(stay active) for much longer. So no it's not inevitable that once virus is released in a space that people will get infected there.

Also the airborne virus settles out of the air in an even shorter timeframe and assuming inhalation is primary transmission vector the risk likely falls in the time scale of minutes.

The other big thing with an N95 is that there is a viral infectious dose needed for infection, one virus will not infect you, I am not sure if they have it figured out for Covid yet but N95 will dramatically reduce the virus that enters your system even if not fool proof. I have also seen studies that correlate infection severity with the dose of virus received, with higher doses leading to more severe infections.

"The infectious dose is the amount of virus needed to establish an infection. Depending on the virus, people need to be exposed to as little as 10 virus particles — for example, for influenza viruses — or as many as thousands for other human viruses to get infected."

So you assertion is that if everyone had worn a N95 mask starting in February or March this disease would have simply passed over us harmlessly. I’m sorry I just don’t believe that. Seems like you would just be putting off the infections and causing the hospitals to be under prepared. Which is exactly what we were supposed to do when this thing started not overwhelm the hospitals, which happened for the most part. I’m sorry but the government is not some magical entity that can keep people from getting sick. They tax the hell out of cigarets and tell people how bad they are for the
. Guess what people still smoke. They constantly harp on pop and fast food. That has not stopped people from consuming both. People are going to get sick and people are going to die it’s the sad reality of life.

Last edited:

GSUsTALON

Reaction score
The mask mandate went into effect on July 25th almost 2 months after the percent positive cases number had already decreased and has stayed flat since then. The average number of new cases per week has gone up and flattened since the end of June, so the mask mandate has had no affect of leasing the number of new cases found per week.
Yet not everyone wore a mask & still don't. What % did?

BarnBurner

Reaction score
You don’t seem to understand how govt funding works.
You seem to be catching on above.

Wally

Reaction score
So you assertion is that if everyone had worn a N95 mask starting in February or March this disease would have simply passed over us harmlessly. I’m sorry I just don’t believe that. Seems like you would just be putting off the infections and causing the hospitals to be under prepared. Which is exactly what we were supposed to do when this thing started not overwhelm the hospitals, which happened for the most part. I’m sorry but the government is not some magical entity that can keep people from getting sick. They tax the hell out of cigarets and tell people how bad they are for the
. Guess what people still smoke. They constantly harp on pop and fast food. That has not stopped people from consuming both. People are going to get sick and people are going to die it’s the sad reality of life.
You are incorrect.

Tell me how China eliminated a massive outbreak. I am sure that's fake news to you.

What does the government have to do with YOU putting an N95 on your face?

Can't fix stupid....

Spoofin

Reaction score
You are incorrect.

Tell me how China eliminated a massive outbreak. I am sure that's fake news to you.

Can't fix stupid....
I laughed at this pretty hard. In the same post you have endorsed China’s COVID data and called others stupid. Really outstanding work.

Wally

Reaction score
You think China still has an active outbreak?
I don't trust their numbers but I believe they have basically eliminated Covid from China.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
You are incorrect.

Can't fix stupid....
Then why was everyone and their mother putting the fear of a second Covid outbreak in the fall that would be worse due to the flu.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
You think China still has an active outbreak?
I don't trust their numbers but I believe they have basically eliminated Covid from China.
Communist China locked down entire cities for weeks at a time by letting anyone in or out. They wouldn’t let you leave your house and lord only knows how many people really died from their outbreak.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Who the fuck cares?
N95'S protect you, bottom line....
You said if you wore a mask the virus would simply pass over us and nothing would happen. I don’t believe that would have been the case. It still would have infected people whether it was in April or now.

Wally

Reaction score
You said if you wore a mask the virus would simply pass over us and nothing would happen. I don’t believe that would have been the case. It still would have infected people whether it was in April or now.
Can't fix stupid...it's why we have so many deaths...

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
I think this is a fair take by the former head of the FDA on CBS‘s Face The Nation. But China and the WHO were lying and misleading the world as well. The truth is, whatever Trump’s opinion was at the time, there was a lot of misinformation and unknowns about CV19 and no one had the information that they needed to make the best decisions. Unfortunately, the Democrats won’t admit that they were saying all the wrong things at the time as well.

Trump’s action to ban China travel was a good action to take considering the lack of information.

Gottlieb says health officials "failed" White House during early coronavirus response

Washington — As President Trump faces criticism for acknowledging to journalist Bob Woodward he deliberately downplayed the threat of the coronavirus in the early weeks of the pandemic, Dr. Scott Gottlieb, former head of the Food and Drug Administration, said Sunday he believes federal health officials "failed" White House leadership in the early days of the outbreak by neglecting to identify where it was spreading.

"The White House leadership was failed by health officials," Gottlieb said on "Face the Nation." "We did not have a diagnostic in the field, so we couldn't screen for it. We should have. We should have started working on that in January. And we over-relied on a surveillance system that was built for flu and not for coronavirus without recognizing that it wasn't going to be as sensitive at detecting coronavirus spread as it was for flu because the two viruses spread very differently. Those were two critical failings."

Gottlieb acknowledged that while one could place the onus on Mr. Trump for appointing the nation's top health officials, "ultimately the White House did not have the information they need to make decisions."

"The key function of agencies and the government is to provide policymakers with accurate, actionable information. The White House didn't have it," he said, adding that he had conversations with the White House in the early months of 2020 to discuss the spread of the coronavirus, but was told the administration's health officials repeatedly said they were confident the virus was not spreading across the country.

"I think when history looks back, that's going to be a key moment," Gottlieb said. "That's what was going on over February."...

Last edited:

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Hospitalization numbers interesting again. 135 in ICU, with 98 hospitalized in non-ICU units. That is the fewest number of non-ICU hospitalizations since April 13th. for a more recent picture - as of August 30th, there were 136 in ICU and 179 non-ICU patients. Since then, ICU numbers remaining between 130 & 140, while non-ICU cases are down by 81.

MN Covid-19 Update - Mon, Sept 14

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive Cases 84,949 +643. (3.7% positive test rate)

health-Care workers with positive cases 9,201 +55.

Cases no longer needing isolation 78,238 +777.

Active Cases 4,789 -142.

Deaths 1,922 +3.

Deaths at Long-Term Care and Assisted Living 1,398 (no change).

Patients currently Hospitalized 233 -8.

Patients currently In ICU 135 -1.

Total tests processed 1,724,779 +17,152.

Number of people tested 1,243,355 +10,050.

Spoofin

Reaction score
Hospitalization numbers interesting again. 135 in ICU, with 98 hospitalized in non-ICU units. That is the fewest number of non-ICU hospitalizations since April 13th. for a more recent picture - as of August 30th, there were 136 in ICU and 179 non-ICU patients. Since then, ICU numbers remaining between 130 & 140, while non-ICU cases are down by 81.

MN Covid-19 Update - Mon, Sept 14

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive Cases 84,949 +643. (3.7% positive test rate)

health-Care workers with positive cases 9,201 +55.

Cases no longer needing isolation 78,238 +777.

Active Cases 4,789 -142.

Deaths 1,922 +3.

Deaths at Long-Term Care and Assisted Living 1,398 (no change).

Patients currently Hospitalized 233 -8.

Patients currently In ICU 135 -1.

Total tests processed 1,724,779 +17,152.

Number of people tested 1,243,355 +10,050.
Great to see the hospitalization # continue to drop. Down to 233 in the entire State.

howeda7

Reaction score
Just as QAnon said all along...

Wally

Reaction score

but they had mask mandates and also had lockdowns. How come the virus is coming back again in the fall. I thought it just disappears.geez it’s almost like this is something we had to live with for the rest of our lives.
Because morons don't follow them. I worked on a job today with mandatory masks and compliance was 50% at best, probably about 30%. I wore my N95 protecting me and everyone I was around. It was really comical to see the guy 9 days from retirement joking about getting Covid in his last two weeks. He fit right into the kill zone to....
I just quietly wear my mask.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Because morons don't follow them. I worked on a job today with mandatory masks and compliance was 50% at best, probably about 30%. I wore my N95 protecting me and everyone I was around. It was really comical to see the guy 9 days from retirement joking about getting Covid in his last two weeks. He fit right into the kill zone to....
I just quietly wear my mask.
I’m not arguing about masks working. I’m arguing about your assertion that if we all wore masks the virus would have simply passed over us and left us all alone. To that I say bull crap. Virus’s don’t like the heat and they don’t live outdoors very well. That is why we have seen decreases in cases nation wide through out the summer. Do you get hot spots yes, but they can be directly tied to an activity. I suspect that once it get cooler and people are inside more the cases will rise nation wide. This is a virus that won’t go away and is something we will have to deal with the rest of our lives. There will be a corona virus shot every fall and sometimes it will work sometimes it won’t. No different than a flu shot. Hopefully people developed antibodies in them to make it less contagious or at least to lessen the severity.

Top Bottom