The new Corona virus, should we worry?

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Chinese scientist/whistle-blower claims Coronavirus was created in the Wuhan Virology Lab, and will be releasing scientific documention to prove it. Given the multiple scientific reports of scientists experimenting on transferring SARS from horseshoe bats to humans in the lab, it's always seemed a more plausible explanation, than someone eating a medium-rare bat from a 'wet market'. It will be interesting to see the documentation she has.

If true, the big question is did the virus leak out accidentally, as other scientists feared it would? Or, was it released intentionally to maximize damage to Trump & assist the Democrats in the 2020 election?

Last edited:

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
"A Chinese virologist who has reportedly been in hiding for fear of her safety has stepped out into the public eye again to make the explosive claim that she has the scientific evidence to prove COVID-19 was man-made in a lab in China.

Dr. Li-Meng Yan, a scientist who says she did some of the earliest research into COVID-19 last year, made the comments Friday during an interview on British talk show “Loose Women.”

When asked where the deadly virus that has killed more than 900,000 around the globe comes from, Yan — speaking via video chat from a secret location — replied, “It comes from the lab — the lab in Wuhan and the lab is controlled by China’s government.”

She insisted that widespread reports that the virus originated last year from a wet market in Wuhan, China, are “a smokescreen.”

"In April, Yan reportedly fled Hong Kong and escaped to America to raise awareness about the pandemic."

"Now, she said she is planning to release scientific evidence to prove that the virus was made inside a lab in Wuhan."

The genome sequence is like a human finger print,” she told the talk show. “So based on this you can identify these things. I use the evidence … to tell people why this has come from the lab in China, why they are the only ones who made it.”

Chinese virologist claims she has proof COVID-19 was made in Wuhan lab

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Looks a lot like the “peaceful” protests if you ask me. Remember, nobody got it from those, so these Floridians should be in the clear.
We were told by health professionals that the value of the protests outweighed the risk of Coronavirus. If it wasn't clear that this was a politicial vehicle, not based in science prior to that statement it certainly was after.

Over 1,000 health professionals sign a letter saying, Don't shut down protests using coronavirus concerns as an excuse

BarnBurner

Reaction score
I literally said the same thing that Jensen said. That the person who complained could have done it simply for political reasons. The investigation itself is how the process works. The only reason we know about it is because he told us.

I don’t know what the Jensen situation has to do with this post. Every tweet I posted is an example of what Les posted about. All wrong and manipulating the info for their political agenda.
Political. Who said dr Jensens trouble was political? Who wouldn’t?
The answer to 2 is you, Gii. Backpedaling.

Section2

Reaction score
There’s definitely a difference between the two.
Not really. The consensus pre covid was that masks didn’t work. Whether that’s because they knew they didn’t work, or couldn’t prove that they did work is irrelevant. The change in consensus overnight is political. Unless you can show that new studies emerged?

Wally

Reaction score
Not really. The consensus pre covid was that masks didn’t work. Whether that’s because they knew they didn’t work, or couldn’t prove that they did work is irrelevant. The change in consensus overnight is political. Unless you can show that new studies emerged?
Who cares, wear an N95, no one has disputed that they work. If I have to wear a mask I am wearing one that works.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Well there was the recent Duke study. And there are others that were previously done that show potential benefits.

Section2

Reaction score
Well there was the recent Duke study. And there are others that were previously done that show potential benefits.

I looked at 3 of these, I would say they are unconvincing at best. Especially the ones trying to correlate mask usage with reduced spread. Look at a timeline and graph of CA. Their spike happened after masks were mandated OUTSIDE.
do you mean to tell me that this has never been studied pre covid? The CDC didn’t study mask usage and it’s ability to stop the spread of infectious disease?
Seems much more likely that the mask change was political. And the incentive to produce the science to back the conclusion was implemented. There’s very little following the science when it comes to politics. Cause effect is the opposite.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I looked at 3 of these, I would say they are unconvincing at best. Especially the ones trying to correlate mask usage with reduced spread. Look at a timeline and graph of CA. Their spike happened after masks were mandated OUTSIDE.
do you mean to tell me that this has never been studied pre covid? The CDC didn’t study mask usage and it’s ability to stop the spread of infectious disease?
Seems much more likely that the mask change was political. And the incentive to produce the science to back the conclusion was implemented. There’s very little following the science when it comes to politics. Cause effect is the opposite.
Serious question, what is there to gain politically for the scientific community?

stocker08

Reaction score
Mask mandate went into effect while other measures were relaxed. My hockey leagues started in July, my climbing gym opened, kids started gymnastics...
Correct. But that doesn't fit the narrative. Since covid spread didn't go down to zero....the truthers are more than happy to declared that masks do not do anything. It's the wild flailing of the anti-info Trump crowd.

Wally

Reaction score
Government isn’t mandating N95 usage. They are mandating worthless masks.
They don't do it because they are worried about first responders having access to N95's.

Another Trump failure, not pushing hard to have enough N95 masks for the whole country. He is the only one with the authority to get it done. So simple and it would actually work.

Spoofin

Reaction score
They don't do it because they are worried about first responders having access to N95's.

Another Trump failure, not pushing hard to have enough N95 masks for the whole country. He is the only one with the authority to get it done. So simple and it would actually work.
Mask mandates are currently State issued and not a single Governor has required N95.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score

So you want the president to act more like a dictator and issue a mask mandate. Even Biden has walked that back and said a national mask mandate won’t work. He could encourage masks to be worn, but no way any president gets away with a mask mandate.

Wally

Reaction score
Mask mandates are currently State issued and not a single Governor has required N95.
Exactly and I stated why, because of supply. I think suppy should be pushed by feds, only ones who can do it and people be encouraged to wear N95's. Is that SO HARD??? Or do you just want this to go on for years? N95's would probably stop this virus in it's tracks.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Exactly and I stated why, because of supply. I think suppy should be pushed by feds, only ones who can do it and people be encouraged to wear N95's. Is that SO HARD??? Or do you just want this to go on for years? N95's would probably stop this virus in it's tracks.
How does the mask stop the virus. Is the virus not floating around in the air still. Does it have to infect people in order to live? So if we wear a N95 mask does that not just delay the inevitable or people getting sick.

Wally

Reaction score
How does the mask stop the virus. Is the virus not floating around in the air still. Does it have to infect people in order to live? So if we wear a N95 mask does that not just delay the inevitable or people getting sick.
Virus has a finite life outside of a host, in most cases I think it's measured in hours. If the virus is in a gob of snot it can "live"(stay active) for much longer. So no it's not inevitable that once virus is released in a space that people will get infected there.

Also the airborne virus settles out of the air in an even shorter timeframe and assuming inhalation is primary transmission vector the risk likely falls in the time scale of minutes.

The other big thing with an N95 is that there is a viral infectious dose needed for infection, one virus will not infect you, I am not sure if they have it figured out for Covid yet but N95 will dramatically reduce the virus that enters your system even if not fool proof. I have also seen studies that correlate infection severity with the dose of virus received, with higher doses leading to more severe infections.

"The infectious dose is the amount of virus needed to establish an infection. Depending on the virus, people need to be exposed to as little as 10 virus particles — for example, for influenza viruses — or as many as thousands for other human viruses to get infected."

Last edited:

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
MN Covid-19 Update - Sunday, Sept 13

data reported by 4pm the previous day.

Positive Cases 84,311 +741. (3.4% positive test rate).

Health-Care workers with positive cases 9,146 +69.

Cases no longer needing isolation 77,461 +811.

Active cases 4,931 -101.

Deaths 1,919 +13.

Deaths at Long-term Care and Assisted Living 1,398 +9.

Patients currently hospitalized 241 -6.

Patients currently in ICU 136 -4.

Total tests processed 1,707,514 +21,539.

Number of people tested 1,233,305 +10,783.

Section2

Reaction score

Supply and demand. Nothing to do with Trump. Masks were mandated, no matter the quality. Market responded. Billions of masks are being produced.

Top Bottom