The list of far-right racist groups "standing by" after Trump's call

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Trump's refusal to condemn white nationalists during Tuesday night's debate drew a lot of attention — including from the Proud Boys, the far-right group he asked to "stand back and stand by."

Why it matters: The Proud Boys remain relatively small — a Portland rally this past weekend billed as the group's largest-ever gathering drew just a few hundred people. But Trump's failure to condemn extremist groups has been welcomed as an endorsement by a wide constellation of people on the fringes.

Driving the news: After Tuesday's debate, the Proud Boys described by the Anti-Defamation League as "misogynistic, Islamophobic, transphobic and anti-immigration" — turned Trump's words into a logo and a T-shirt.

The big picture: The Proud Boys are part of a growing set of relatively new, often heavily armed far-right groups with ideologies and memberships that often overlap. The groups have pledged to violently oppose the left and do much of their organizing online.
  • The Proud Boys are among the most overtly gang-like of the major groups, sporting uniforms (black Fred Perry polo shirts with gold piping, which the designer recently stopped producing due to the association) and tattoos, and maintaining initiation rites, including requiring members to get into a physical fight for the cause of promoting the supremacy of western culture.
Other groups include:
  • Three Percenters, named for the myth that only 3% of colonists were willing to take up arms in the Revolutionary War. The militia group has threatened force against Democratic politicians.
  • Oath keepers, who seek to serve as private back-up for police forces around the country. Many members are themselves former police or military.
  • Boogaloo bois, identifiable by the Hawaiian shirts they typically wear in concert with body armor and, often, Make America Great Again hats. Like the Proud Boys, they bring the winking irony common to online extremism into the physical world. Even the name "boogaloo bois" is a joke — but their call for a second civil war, drawn along ideological lines, appears very real.
  • Atomwaffen, the most nihilist of all the major groups, which openly calls for mass murder of lefists, ethnic and religious minorities, LGBTQ individuals and others. It's been linked to killings and terrorist threats in the U.S. and abroad.
That's on top of:
  • Local groups like Patriot Prayer, which organizes rallies and disrupts left-wing protests, chiefly in the Pacific Northwest;
  • Longstanding hate groups like the Ku Klux Klan; and
  • Groups like American Renaissance that seek to put the gloss of academic legitimacy to far-right, racist views.
One key feature common to many of the newer crop of far-right groups: a slipperiness that helps them avoid being pinned down on their extremist beliefs.
  • Proud Boys, for instance, will often point to non-white members as proof they're not racist, despite their explicitly racist views.
  • Their evasiveness also lets them disclaim members who run afoul of the law. That's just what the Proud Boys did Wednesday, per conservative provocateur Andy Ngo, after a prominent Portland Proud Boys member was arrested on assault and weapons charges.
The bottom line: Any one of these groups on its own represents a small sliver of the far-right fringe. But together they constitute a potential paramilitary force that has an increasingly explicit endorsement from the president and that's hungry for violent clashes with their political opponents.

Last edited:

Minnesota

Reaction score
I genuinely think Trump misspoke, but he’s not capable of admitting it.

Texas-Gopher

Reaction score
I was extremely hard on Trump when he refused to take the "opportunity" to denounce. I now think he's getting tired of repeating himself, and democrats making that the narrative. Check out 2:36.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
100% correct.

The simple, obvious reason: he's. not. intelligent. enough. to have been capable of thinking to "signal" them, in that moment.

I think it was one of two things, maybe a combo: he was actually trying to say "stand down", and in his fumbling grasp at that phrase, instead landed on the two he uttered and/or he meant "stand by" in a very literal sense, that isn't commonly used. The latter I mean like, very literally "go stand by, over there, while they walk through this way". Most people wouldn't use it way, which is exactly the confusion.

It's covfefe. Nothing more.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
> After Tuesday's debate, the Proud Boys described by the Anti-Defamation League as "misogynistic, Islamophobic, transphobic and anti-immigration" — turned Trump's words into a logo and a T-shirt.

I've researched this, and the Proud Boys are not misogynistic, Islamophobic, or transphobic. They are not -phobic on any topic. It is a guys club, so to speak, but there is no way they are misogynistic. I heard that they do have an associated group for women, called Proud Boys Girls (or something like that). They are for immigration, but legal immigration that is.

The Anti-Defamation League is no longer the well-respected organization working toward preventing hatred toward Jews or Jewish institutions, that it once was. ADL is now just a run-of-the-mill extreme leftist organization that is in the business of making ordinary patriotic organizations look bad. In other words, ADL is now in the business of defaming conservative organizations, and no longer in the business of anti-defaming anything. These epithets thrown at the Proud Boys by ADL are completely fictitious. Similarly true for the epithets thrown at the Proud Boys by the Southern Poverty Law Center (once the KKK was defeated, they no longer had any good reason to collect your money, so they had to invent some fictitious danger to keep making money).

By the way, the maintenance of the Proud Boys Wikipedia page has been taken over by a bunch of Antifa. These days, Wikipedia is also employed by the Left as a political tool.

> The big picture: The Proud Boys are part of a growing set of relatively new, often heavily armed far-right groups with ideologies and memberships that often overlap. The groups have pledged to violently oppose the left and do much of their organizing online.

It's certainly true that there are a lot of different groups, some right and some left to varying degrees. But the Proud Boys are not any sort of militia (like the people involved in the Michigan plot are) and they are not heavily armed in any sense of the word, unless you think carrying a defensive can of pepper spray is the definition of "heavily armed" these days.

The Proud Boys are happy that Biden gave them so much attention. Although their local chapters are small, they now have typically more people applying to become a member than the current size of a given local chapter. They try to do a good job of vetting people before they let you become a member. That's not to say that a bad apple might get admitted once in a while, that's hard to control completely.

This information comes from a video and is straight out of the mouth of their Afro-Cuban leader. His own chapter, by the way, is only 10% white and about 90% Cuban immigrants. These people (or their parents) escaped Communist Cuba and are very opposed to letting (what they see as) Communist ideas flourish in America.

USAF

Reaction score

They're not "far right" and they're not "standing by."

Racism is a primary plank of today's Republican party. And a primary means of firing up Trump's base.

Own it, Repugnicans. This is what you are, and who you are.

LesBolstad

Reaction score

They're not "far right" and they're not "standing by."

Racism is a primary plank of today's Republican party. And a primary means of firing up Trump's base.

Haha, you're voting for a lifelong racist. Well done, douchey:

1602955734179.png

scools12

Reaction score

C’mon man you have it all wrong. Racism is so last year.

Now it’s all about “systemic racism”. You need to get it right.

USAF

Reaction score
C’mon man you have it all wrong. Racism is so last year.

Now it’s all about “systemic racism”. You need to get it right.
I'll take "idiots who prove my point while thinking they're clever for 1000, Alex."

scools12

Reaction score
I'll take "idiots who prove my point while thinking they're clever for 1000, Alex."
Don’t blame me you can’t get it correct. Remember the talking points - “systemic racism”.

Top Bottom