The Lincoln Project: Real Republicans Standing Up

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
If anyone has yet to take a look at any of these videos that have popped up lately, the Lincoln Project is a group of Republicans who have decided enough is enough and to not bend to the cult-will of Donald Trump and his burgeoning autocracy.

Not a Republican myself, but i have to say that i'm glad to see there are conservatives out there who care about our Constitution and the future of democracy in our country. Also, i am really impressed that anyone on the GOP side of things came up with such snazzy little videos. - i'll include a few.

(There's still hope!)

Very telling what kind of person he is when they show the handshakes. No surprise there.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
They have a new ad that is targeting senators who have enabled Trump and are also up for re-election. These people are really valuable allies and very good at what they do - much better than most Democrats.

Section2

Reaction score
They are going after Susan Collins, so whatever this group of Trump haters started out as, they are basically a bunch of Howies now and should be ignored. Unless you’re a Democrat, in which case go Lincoln project.

Section2

Reaction score
They have a new ad that is targeting senators who have enabled Trump and are also up for re-election. These people are really valuable allies and very good at what they do - much better than most Democrats.
Or they’re just Democrats. Susan Collins didn’t “enable” Trump.

Reaction score
They are going after Susan Collins, so whatever this group of Trump haters started out as, they are basically a bunch of Howies now and should be ignored. Unless you’re a Democrat, in which case go Lincoln project.
Or maybe proof that it's possible to be a Republican but not a boot licker.

justthefacts

Reaction score
I think the idea is that only a total repudiation of the current state of the GOP will convince the party to abandon Trumpism forever. Beating Trump is no good if the party continues to be dominated by Don Jr and Charlie Kirk and QAnon adherents

Reaction score
I think the idea is that only a total repudiation of the current state of the GOP will convince the party to abandon Trumpism forever. Beating Trump is no good if the party continues to be dominated by Don Jr and Charlie Kirk and QAnon adherents

GOP either has to go full Nazi and start the war, or come down off the limb to join the 21st Century and start acknowledging things like....science, for example.

howeda7

Reaction score
Or maybe proof that it's possible to be a Republican but not a boot licker.
This. And the idea that Susan Collins didn't enable Trump is ridiculous. When the most "independent" members of the party won't do anything but furrow their brow and say they're troubled but are too spineless to vote against you, you know you can get away with anything.

howeda7

Reaction score
Exactly. Nuke it, burn the ashes and start over.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Wait, what?

The problem here is the choices. If Biden were of sound mind and of the Clintonian straddle the fence variety it would be one thing and likely a landslide, but those things are open to question. We don’t know what he stands for. Who will he choose as VP? These are questions that moderates will chew over.

Should have gone with the kid from South Bend.

Section2

Reaction score
That’s just idiotic. Don Jr and Charlie Kirk don’t dominate the party NOW. If Trump loses they certainly won’t
there are principled republicans who oppose trump. That’s fine. We need to destroy the moderates to make sure Don Jr isn’t running the party? That makes no sense. But if I was a Dem, I’d love it too.

Section2

Reaction score
Exactly. Nuke it, burn the ashes and start over.
You had your chance with Mitt. When you turned your back on a completely normal and moderate candidate, you lost your say. Go be a Democrat hack, it really suits you.

Section2

Reaction score
This. And the idea that Susan Collins didn't enable Trump is ridiculous. When the most "independent" members of the party won't do anything but furrow their brow and say they're troubled but are too spineless to vote against you, you know you can get away with anything.
She voted against impeachment. Go Fvck yourself.

Section2

Reaction score
FFS, now deuce wants to be an internet tough guy.
I will fight to the death before I see the US become a communist dictatorship. I would gladly give my life for that cause. If you think that’s just being an internet tough guy so be it.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Wait, what?

The problem here is the choices. If Biden were of sound mind and of the Clintonian straddle the fence variety it would be one thing and likely a landslide, but those things are open to question. We don’t know what he stands for. Who will he choose as VP? These are questions that moderates will chew over.

Should have gone with the kid from South Bend.
The kid from South Bend was my first choice but I don't think you fully grasp what happened in the Democratic primary. How the Democratic primary played out was quite simply a stop Sanders compromise and Biden was chosen because, looking down the road after the early primaries, he was the only one who appeared to have the ability to do that.

A Republican operative (who was a campaign manager for Jeb Bush) wrote a piece after the Nevada caucus. He said that if Democrats wanted to stop Sanders they had only about 10 days to accomplish that. He said that Republicans in 2016 waited too long to stop Trump by failing to consolidate the anti-Trump vote. Democrats took that advice and implemented it with astonishing efficiency thereby succeeding in 2020 where Republicans failed in 2016.

Mayor Pete did quite well in the first two contests. Biden was a strong winner in South Carolina (the 4th contest). Sanders, on the other hand, did very well in the first two contests (one narrow win and one practical tie for first), was the overwhelming first choice in Nevada, and finished a distant 2nd in South Carolina. If four or five candidates stayed in the race, Sanders was capable of winning the nomination with perhaps 30% to 35% of the vote.

Looking down the road after South Carolina, only Biden appeared to have the numbers to consolidate the anti-Sanders vote. Mayor Pete and Amy dropped out almost immediately after South Carolina and threw their support to Biden. Mike Bloomberg did the same within days of Amy and Pete. Warren dropped out after Super Tuesday. Democratic primary voters who did not support Sanders got the message amazingly quickly and, beginning on Super Tuesday, heavily consolidated their votes behind Biden.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
After the Iowa debacle it’s hard for me to believe the DNC can organize a play party. Sanders never had more than about a quarter of the DNC votes? It was more a matter of the other (maybe better - Pete, Klobuchar) candidates dropping out for the good of the country to avoid a Sanders catastrophe - which we still may get if Biden becomes an invalid and his apparently predestined progressive VP takes power...Don’t fail us Joe.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
After the Iowa debacle it’s hard for me to believe the DNC can organize a play party.
Portions of the Democratic leadership did their parts and the Democratic primary electorate got the message and followed quickly and efficiently. The leadership and rank-and-file succeeded in 2020 where the corresponding Republican elements failed in 2016. Our candidates were less selfish and our primary electorate was more pragmatic than those elements of the Republican party.

I will admit that this wasn't a strong field of candidates. Unfortunately, some stronger moderates, like Montana governor Bullock, never really got a chance. The good news is that he's challenging the GOP incumbent for the Montana senate seat.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Portions of the Democratic leadership did their parts and the Democratic primary electorate got the message and followed quickly and efficiently. The leadership and rank-and-file succeeded in 2020 where the corresponding Republican elements failed in 2016. Our candidates were less selfish and our primary electorate was more pragmatic than those elements of the Republican party.

I will admit that this wasn't a strong field of candidates. Unfortunately, some stronger moderates, like Montana governor Bullock, never really got a chance. The good news is that he's challenging the GOP incumbent for the Montana senate seat.
Some candidates are less selfish. Some aren’t. Is it a truism that the ones that should be in power are the ones that want it least..

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Mayor Pete had a huge problem with black voters. (you can argue whether that is fair or not, but it is the case.) South Carolina was where the black vote came out for Biden.

For all of Biden's flaws, he was able to get a key part of the Dem coalition to support him. And he got (or will get) the nomination.

In the end, the Bernie bros and the Progressives made a lot of noise, but it turns out that they are still in the minority among Democrats.

the only person who could have stopped Biden was Biden. so far, he hasn't.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Mayor Pete had a huge problem with black voters. (you can argue whether that is fair or not, but it is the case.) South Carolina was where the black vote came out for Biden.

For all of Biden's flaws, he was able to get a key part of the Dem coalition to support him. And he got (or will get) the nomination.

In the end, the Bernie bros and the Progressives made a lot of noise, but it turns out that they are still in the minority among Democrats.

the only person who could have stopped Biden was Biden. so far, he hasn't.
Does anyone want to bat that one around? LOL.

Top Bottom