the first amendment

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Anything that incites immediate, unlawful violence should not be protected. Everything else should absolutely be protected. You cannot live in a free society and have it be otherwise.
I get what you're saying on paper.

But I don't accept that foreigners should be able to cross the seas virtually and incite hatred, mistrust, and contempt.

Russian trolls shouldn't be able to spread lies about people, from Russia, on our platforms.

At a minimum, that part of it, must be regulated.

Crosby

Reaction score
I get what you're saying on paper.

But I don't accept that foreigners should be able to cross the seas virtually and incite hatred, mistrust, and contempt.

Russian trolls shouldn't be able to spread lies about people, from Russia, on our platforms.

At a minimum, that part of it, must be regulated.
Fair point. I agree with that. And yes... of course I think there is a lot of that occurring.

MennoSota

Reaction score
This is precisely why you don't declare a state of emergency except in all but the most extraordinary circumstances, like the one we're in. You don't want to have to curtail constitutional freedoms except in the case history book-level crises. That's why Trump declaring a state of emergency so he could improperly use funds and bypass environmental protection laws to build that fool wall was such a travesty.
This virus is not a most extraordinary circumstance. It is noteworthy and the value of wise behavior when ill should be considered.
I agree with you regarding both Trump and Obama misusing and abusing the Constitution.
In this present situation this clause is important: "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
Even this virus cannot, legally, override that clause. Yet, we have governors and mayor's that are openly breaking that clause and threatening their citizens with fines and punishment for exercising their rights.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
This virus is not a most extraordinary circumstance. It is noteworthy and the value of wise behavior when ill should be considered.
I agree with you regarding both Trump and Obama misusing and abusing the Constitution.
In this present situation this clause is important: "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
Even this virus cannot, legally, override that clause. Yet, we have governors and mayor's that are openly breaking that clause and threatening their citizens with fines and punishment for exercising their rights.
You are completely ignorant. You nothing of the Constitution. Absolutely zero. The 1st Amendment's right to free speech can absolutely be curtailed.

Go back to proselytizing.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
The problems created here are precedent, the corruption of political office for the purpose of tyranny, and the corporate cronyism with Big Tech to censor the people for the government as an end around the Constitution.

When you let Mayors & Governors arbitrarily set rules regarding public health, it opens the flood gates for corruption. Especially in this current win-at-all-costs political environment. As we watch the left blatantly corrupt the Coronavirus for political leverage, whats' to stop them from doing the same with 'climate change' for example? Or health care? Or any myriad of other ideas they can concoct to bypass our natural born rights? Using Coronavirus as an example, the Democrats are already arresting people for attending church, while allowing violent rioters arrested for arson, assault, assaulting police, to be released from jail with no bail & no prosecution. That's corruption of the crisis for political gain. Period. We also see the Democrats corporate crony partners in Big Tech censoring all mention of many possible cures/therapies, many doctors, and manipulating access to available data.

No where in the 1st Amendment does it state your right as an American, unless....a local politician creates an edict taking away your rights over a health crisis.

When dealing with the government, it's always better to err on the side of freedom, over unchecked government power.

MennoSota

Reaction score
You are completely ignorant. You nothing of the Constitution. Absolutely zero. The 1st Amendment's right to free speech can absolutely be curtailed.

Go back to proselytizing.
LOL, you are truly clueless regarding the Bill of Rights. Set down your communist manifesto.

MennoSota

Reaction score
TS is totally a Commie. As most Bush/Romney voters tend to be. Good call. :rolleyes:
I love how you both avoid the 1st Amendment and the very clear writing of the founding fathers.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech..."

What is it about "free exercise" that you can't comprehend?

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
TS is totally a Commie. As most Bush/Romney voters tend to be. Good call. :rolleyes:
LMAO! I've forgotten more about the Constitution than you've ever learned. You haven't even taken a Con Law class, let alone practiced law and applied the Constitution to your daily work.

Go back to preaching God's word. You don't know a d@mn thing about the law.

justthefacts

Reaction score
I am wrong my apologies...I was going off the Cornell law article I found but obviously that was outdated as 2 Supreme Court rulings overturned that law.
I'll admit that it is weird that the federal law "stays on the books" even after the Supreme Court has ruled it unConstitutional.

Wally

Reaction score
But you should get unlimited use of Google's proprietary, private search technology without having to pay for it. :rolleyes:
Google has the "freedom" to curate their search any way they see fit. Not that I agree with it but that is a fact.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Burning the flag is speech, you hate free speech?
Shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater is speech too. You want to try again?

Wally starting to look more and more like a bit, or a watered down version of one of the others who are already on Ignore... very curious behavior...

justthefacts

Reaction score

Wally starting to look more and more like a bit, or a watered down version of one of the others who are already on Ignore... very curious behavior...
Antonin Scalia ruled that burning the flag is speech.

Wally

Reaction score

If you cannot see how yelling fire in a theater is different than burning the flag then you are beyond hope.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Burning the flag is speech, you hate free speech?
I apologized to the guy give it a rest. The law is still on the books but the Supreme Court overturned it. Why don’t you read further down on the thread to see my other response.

Not condoning this crazy guy at all, but free speech?

Last edited:

GopherJake

Reaction score

Burning a flag is protected by the Constitution, as well it should be. It's exactly what the flag stands for.

Top Bottom