The coming lockdown extension.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
The pedophilia in the Catholic Church is more than a stain, and no, I think the presence of the Pope goes against the commandment to place no idols before God. My issue with confession is that I don’t need to confess my sins to a pedophile when I can pray to God myself.
Well, I tend to work with a fair number of foreigners fairly regularly. The ones who are naturalized citizens, permanent residents, or are here as temporary residents (legally) generally are hard working, good tempered, get along with others, and just want to live a good life or accomplish their limited mission if here temporarily. On the whole, I'd say these people are more respectful of our traditions, and certainly other Americans, than MAGAs.

I wonder if you even understand the irony of saying that foreigners don't respect our traditions and culture while you're damning Catholics, Mormons, and Muslims in a society known for freedom of religion. Prior to the last 20 years, I didn't have much interaction with Muslims. Over the last 20 years, I've had quite a bit more. 20 years ago I wouldn't have expected that I would have grown to like and respect them as much as I have.
You'd live in fear too, if you based your decisions not on individual freedoms, but on being part of a shrinking majority.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Your point now is if you’re right wing you have some sort of racist, misogynistic or xenophobic grievance.
Well, those are popular choices but that list isn't exclusive. There must be a reason of choice that someone is a Republican (unless it's just hereditary).

A person could be a Republican because that person is greedy; or power hungry; or very Darwinian, convinced he is on the top end of the evolutionary totem pole, and feels the need to further the process of natural selection. I assumed those didn't apply to you because you are a government worker and those only apply to a minority of the base anyway.

So, Option B is the smorgasboard of resentments and/or fears that the GOP throws around like different flavors of red meat to keep the majority of its based engaged and voting for them.

mjfelton15

Reaction score
Well, I tend to work with a fair number of foreigners fairly regularly. The ones who are naturalized citizens, permanent residents, or are here as temporary residents (legally) generally are hard working, good tempered, get along with others, and just want to live a good life or accomplish their limited mission if here temporarily. On the whole, I'd say these people are more respectful of our traditions, and certainly other Americans, than MAGAs.

I wonder if you even understand the irony of saying that foreigners don't respect our traditions and culture while you're damning Catholics, Mormons, and Muslims in a society known for freedom of religion. Prior to the last 20 years, I didn't have much interaction with Muslims. Over the last 20 years, I've had quite a bit more. 20 years ago I wouldn't have expected that I would have grown to like and respect them as much as I have.
I believe in freedom of religion. It’s okay to criticize bad ideologies, we do it with all other forms of thought. Not sure how you don’t support criticism of bad ideas. You’ve yet to specify what kind of “foreigners” you’re referring to when you say you’d rather have 5 million foreigners here than MAGA people. “Foreigners” could be the type that respect our traditions, or the type that want to undo said traditions.

mjfelton15

Reaction score
felton has a hyper-specific worldview/lifestyle that he wants the nation to abide by. Anyone who disagrees with any of it, is an enemy of the nation.
Never said I want anyone to abide by anything I put forth. It’s called having an opinion. When did I say someone is an enemy of the nation? Talk about a straw man

mjfelton15

Reaction score
It's a false equivalence.
I'm not aware of anyone who thinks we should huddle in our homes for two years. I am aware that there are still people out there who think it's a hoax.
I’m aware of people that think we should huddle in our homes as long as it takes for the virus to subside. That could be two years. They’re fully willing to go as long as it takes. My wife’s grandparents on her mother’s side, prime example. Yelled at us when they found out we’ve been having bonfires.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
You’ve yet to specify what kind of “foreigners” you’re referring to when you say you’d rather have 5 million foreigners here than MAGA people. “Foreigners” could be the type that respect our traditions, or the type that want to undo said traditions.
Well, I have to concede that you are right about that and I was too lazy to get into the details.

balds

Reaction score
We got Buffalo Wild Wings takeout last weekend. They had the dining room set up with about 1/3 of the normal tables and every other booth closed off. Plenty of room for social distancing. They were absolutely planning on opening May 5. If my only goal was to avoid the virus, I would feel way more comfortable eating in that Buffalo Wild Wings then I would going to Costco, Home Depot, getting takeout at Chipotle, etc. Reduced capacity social distancing is easily available in a majority of restaurants.

I can't imaging the anguish of the thousands of independent restaurants that had planned to open, but now must wait another two weeks (until the next two weeks after that, and so on). I fear a tsunami of permanent closures coming.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
We got Buffalo Wild Wings takeout last weekend. They had the dining room set up with about 1/3 of the normal tables and every other booth closed off. Plenty of room for social distancing. They were absolutely planning on opening May 5. If my only goal was to avoid the virus, I would feel way more comfortable eating in that Buffalo Wild Wings then I would going to Costco, Home Depot, getting takeout at Chipotle, etc. Reduced capacity social distancing is easily available in a majority of restaurants.

I can't imaging the anguish of the thousands of independent restaurants that had planned to open, but now must wait another two weeks (until the next two weeks after that, and so on). I fear a tsunami of permanent closures coming.
Too risky yet, according to the data.

My guess is if the data looks ok, they'll start allowing limited capacity restaurants on May 14. Like 25% or so.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I'd consider making it if I knew how. I like it and I'm not even a Minnesotan by birth or upbringing.
I have the special griddle and the special stick! Turn out loads of the stuff at Thanksgiving time.

mjfelton15

Reaction score
Define "respect our traditions". Making Lefse?
Respect our freedom of religion. Quran calls for it’s followers to convert, tax, or kill those of other religions. If you let 5 million radical Muslims into the U.S., you might be in trouble. There are those that want to assimilate, and those that don’t. How about those that fly the Mexican flag above the U.S. flag? That’s not respect.

mjfelton15

Reaction score
Well, I have to concede that you are right about that and I was too lazy to get into the details.
Yeah well that detail is pretty important to be specific on if you want to proceed with the conversation

mjfelton15

Reaction score
Then why don't radical Christians do the same? Why are they trying to take away religious protections for all other religions than Christianity? Hypocrites
Where are radical Christians trying to take away religious protections? I haven’t seen it. Not saying it isn’t happening, but I have seen zero information to back such a claim. If I’m to assume you’re right, then I don’t support it. Radical Christians shouldn’t be trying to take away religious protections for anyone. I’m not a radical Christian, I believe in the existence of a God, but I don’t quite think any religion has the right answer or a factual book. so I’m not part of whatever crowd you’re asking me to speak for.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
If I’m to assume you’re right, then I don’t support it.
You support equal protection of religion for Muslims as you do Christians?

If so, good for you. It is the correct view, in my opinion.

mjfelton15

Reaction score
Then why don't radical Christians do the same? Why are they trying to take away religious protections for all other religions than Christianity? Hypocrites
The only times I see anyone trying to take away religious freedoms are when a local bakery doesn’t want to bake a cake for a homo couple, or random parents get publicity because they don’t want to vaccinate their kids for religious reasons.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Respect our freedom of religion. Quran calls for it’s followers to convert, tax, or kill those of other religions. If you let 5 million radical Muslims into the U.S., you might be in trouble. There are those that want to assimilate, and those that don’t. How about those that fly the Mexican flag above the U.S. flag? That’s not respect.
I am being deadly serious here. I have done business with over 200 Muslims, and not ONCE, not ONCE, has any one of them proselytized. I have Seventh Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Mormons knocking on my door. Every Twins game I go to, there is at least one street preacher with a bullhorn, and another group handing out religious tracts. I have never ever been enticed to become a Muslim.

I've also never seen the Mexican flag thing, so I would question how common it is. Has anybody here seen this in real life?

mjfelton15

Reaction score
You support equal protection of religion for Muslims as you do Christians?

If so, good for you. It is the correct view, in my opinion.
Yeah I do support equal protection for Muslims as I do Christians. I’m still wary of the Islamic religion, but I believe they should have equal rights. I don’t think it’s fair that Muslims take multiple breaks every work shift for prayer time, because I don’t see a company being willing to allow a Christian to do the same if they were to say “I need time to pray on a daily basis”. The employer would probably laugh and say no.

mjfelton15

Reaction score
I am being deadly serious here. I have done business with over 200 Muslims, and not ONCE, not ONCE, has any one of them proselytized. I have Seventh Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Mormons knocking on my door. Every Twins game I go to, there is at least one street preacher with a bullhorn, and another group handing out religious tracts. I have never ever been enticed to become a Muslim.

I've also never seen the Mexican flag thing, so I would question how common it is. Has anybody here seen this in real life?
I used to work at Angie’s Kettlecorn in Mankato while I was going to college. Worked with probably 35 Muslims. Had 3 of them try and get me to start studying the Quran and offered to give me one. Then one time I made a joke towards a buddy of mine there, it involved me joking about being attracted to him, and this Muslim coworker of mine came up to me and says “hey, you gay bro..? You know what we do to people like that in my country.” I thought he was joking, but he was straight faced. I said “oh if I was gay, you’d think I deserve to die?” “He’s like I’m not gonna get into it bro, but no gay shit. I’m serious”. So yeah my view on Islam is definitely influenced by my interactions I had with Muslims at work.
Down near the border in Texas and other southern states it’s very common to see Mexican flags flying above the American flag. Had a buddy that lived down there and told me.

cjbfbp

Reaction score
I actually have seen that, numerous times, in Chicago. It's just sort of an ethnic celebration thing like you sometimes see Irish flags on St. Patrick's Day. I once attended an outdoor concert featuring a very popular international Mexican band. The crowd was mostly Latino. There were some Mexican flags and some patrons were wearing those Mexican wrestling masks.

MennoSota

Reaction score
From a friend living in Indiana:
INDIANA - breaking news
Stage 1 - "hunkered down" now
Stage 2 - next 3 weeks starting Monday May 4
(Marion Lake counties May 11, Cass May 18)
65+/high risk stay home as much as possible, easing restrictions - social gathering up to 25 people!
May 8 - all worship services open, following social distancing guidelines
Stage 3 - May 24 social areas open to 50% capacity
If still on track June 14:
Stage 4 - social gatherings up to 200 people
Stage 5 - fully open July 4

This is actually a plan. I wish governor Walz would give more specifics.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I actually have seen that, numerous times, in Chicago. It's just sort of an ethnic celebration thing like you sometimes see Irish flags on St. Patrick's Day. I once attended an outdoor concert featuring a very popular international Mexican band. The crowd was mostly Latino. There were some Mexican flags and some patrons were wearing those Mexican wrestling masks.
He's talking about the Mexican flag being flown in a superior (higher) position to the American Flag.

I have a Norwegian flag I take out for May 17th.

Veritas

Reaction score
Why should I have to make that decision? Why can't it be both?
Because money does not grow on trees. It comes out of my pocket and I do not want to spend MY money on you being frightened over nothing so you can hide under your bed at my expense.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Because money does not grow on trees. It comes out of my pocket and I do not want to spend MY money on you being frightened over nothing so you can hide under your bed at my expense.
Too bad.

We'll take your money, and spend it on the good of society, as society deems is best.

Don't like it? Get out.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
From a friend living in Indiana:
INDIANA - breaking news
Stage 1 - "hunkered down" now
Stage 2 - next 3 weeks starting Monday May 4
(Marion Lake counties May 11, Cass May 18)
65+/high risk stay home as much as possible, easing restrictions - social gathering up to 25 people!
May 8 - all worship services open, following social distancing guidelines
Stage 3 - May 24 social areas open to 50% capacity
If still on track June 14:
Stage 4 - social gatherings up to 200 people
Stage 5 - fully open July 4

This is actually a plan. I wish governor Walz would give more specifics.
Walz has vague dials that need to be turned and don't really tell you much of anything. This was the best he could do during a month long shutdown. But I guess when a month ago he was relying on models that suggested 3,000 ICU beds needed by mid May, why even bother planning for a re-opening?

He also didn't realize that every state around MN is doing better than MN with less restrictions and a plan to re-open sooner. We also have one of the best hospitals in the world in the state, the one that said could meet his testing requirements nearly a month ago. Why did it take him until this week to finally ramp up testing?

I thought Walz did a great job of being decisive at the beginning of this. It's obvious now that his goals have changed and he lacks an understanding of the data and Science he swears he's using to make these decisions.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Too bad.

We'll take your money, and spend it on the good of society, as society deems is best.

Don't like it? Get out.
You realize...if everyone takes your advise...you'll be the one having all your money taken from you while the rest of us live somewhere else and have money to spend.
How about you just shuttle on down to Venezuela where they've taken your idea and put it to practice.

Top Bottom