St Thomas DI hockey?

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Lucia sees St. Thomas as a CCHA candidate.

Might Lucia have tipped his hand for a preferred school? If so, he appeared to have some “UST’’ face cards.

“They certainly would be a candidate,’’ the former Gophers men's hockey coach said. “They have a rich tradition academically and athletically. They should find out, hopefully today, which direction they’re going to go [from the Division I Council]. In past conversations with Phil [Esten, St. Thomas athletic director] that he’s pretty positive, so we’ll keep our fingers crossed. Any time we can add a Division I institution to college hockey, I think is a great day for college hockey. Hopefully, that’s going to happen here today.

“If they do come through with that announcement, they’re obviously going to be looking for a home, and that’s somebody we certainly would have an interest in, as I’m sure other conferences would as well,’’ he added. “They would be a nice candidate, and I look forward, if this goes through, being able to sit down and talk to them.’’

MplsGopher

Reaction score

Lucia sees St. Thomas as a CCHA candidate.
Of course. Institutionally, geographically, market ... they’re perfect.

Oh but except this little thing that grown ups have: money!!!!!

If corporate and alumni donor want to pump in millions to make it happen, go for it. The arena they play in now won’t cut it though.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Will they still play at the crackerbox St Thomas Academy Ice Arena in Mendota Heights?

MennoSota

Reaction score
Honestly, I think St Thomas would be wise to disband their hockey program entirely.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Agree, unless donors step up hugely. UST can’t afford Mankato level hockey, AND even Pioneer football, AND upgrading all other sports and facilities to Summit level.

Top Bottom