So when is enough? When will we be satisfied?

BarnBurner

Reaction score
OK - this is getting really nuts.

The Murray County Central school district in SW MN had to hold a special meeting because they are receiving complaints/concerns from residents about the district mascot/logo being potentially "inappropriate."

The School's nickname - "The Rebels."

I'm a computer klutz, so I can't post an image here, but it's easy to google.

If the Rebel mascot is inappropriate, then let's just ban all mascots and nicknames.
No let’s not ban jack chit. Tell them to grow up.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
I am suspicious and was suspicious but there are just as many stories of people doing terrible things as there are of people doing things to themselves. The 24-7 news and social media is what’s takes this thing and blows it up. The FBI investigates this in 48 hours and in that time Bubba was a national story and on every network he could get on. For that I would blame Bubba, why not wait just 2 days and see what the investigation finds before putting your face out there everywhere.
Hey, ya can't really blame Bubba for wanting to get on the news, cuz any kind of publicity is good publicity, such as for race-car drivers who are always looking for more sponsors. Send your checks to Black Race-Car Drivers Matter.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Hey, ya can't really blame Bubba for wanting to get on the news, cuz any kind of publicity is good publicity, such as for race-car drivers who are always looking for more sponsors. Send your checks to Black Race-Car Drivers Matter.
Not sure this was good media.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
So, if only black actors can voice black animated characters, what do you do with animated shows that have non-human or alien characters? That could be tough to cast.

Not to mention the fact that the voice of Bart Simpson -a male character - has been provided by a female for the entire run of the show. Unfair to juvenile male voice actors!

howeda7

Reaction score
So, if only black actors can voice black animated characters, what do you do with animated shows that have non-human or alien characters? That could be tough to cast.

Not to mention the fact that the voice of Bart Simpson -a male character - has been provided by a female for the entire run of the show. Unfair to juvenile male voice actors!
To be fair, if they'd started Bart with a juvenile male actor he'd be 45 years old by now.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
To be fair, if they'd started Bart with a juvenile male actor he'd be 45 years old by now.
To be smart, why don’t we worry about real issues based on facts and evidence than stupid stuff like making sure a character’s voice is played by someone of the same race. If someone is preventing black voice actors from getting work, that’s a different issue.

Meanwhile, for liberal elite tech companies, like Google and Facebook, black people make up 4% or less of their employees, while they’re preaching racial equality and political correctness.

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
To be smart, why don’t we worry about real issues based on facts and evidence than stupid stuff like making sure a character’s voice is played by someone of the same race. If someone is preventing black voice actors from getting work, that’s a different issue.

Meanwhile, for liberal elite tech companies, like Google and Facebook, black people make up 4% or less of their employees, while they’re preaching racial equality and political correctness.
It's not particularly hypocritical for the tech companies to preach racial equality and political correctness (although they cross the line when they do so by censoring material that is not worthy of censure), while themselves only employing an average of 4% black employees. It's a matter of supply and demand for computer professionals, and specifically the lack of supply of black computer professionals to be hired by these companies. If they don't exist, you can't hire them. I'm sure most of these tech companies would love to increase their diversity. Call up their HR departments and ask them.

From this page https://cra.org/crn/2015/09/expandi...-science-the-need-to-increase-representation/ we see that of the long list of big tech companies they list there, most big techs employ from 2-5% blacks. Only eBay and Apple stand out as employing 7% blacks - but there's about 13% blacks in the general population, so companies like Apple would love to hit that 13% mark, but there's just a lack of qualified applicants. The work that needs to be done is on the supply side. We need to convince more blacks to consider computer science as a major. Also, note that of the top scorers, only Apply has 6% of its 7% working in tech roles, whereas eBay has only 2% of its 7% working in tech roles.

The same article notes that there are only order-of-magnitude 1% or so black students enrolled in computer-science masters-degree programs and less than that as doctoral candidates. Probably higher than that at the undergrad level, but I don't have any figures at hand. There is also a much smaller number of females (both black and across the board) enrolled in computer science. I can't speak to whether there is and sort of bias against admitting blacks to these degree programs, but I doubt there is much - it's more of an awareness problem. We need employment guidance counselors in schools already at the junior high and senior high levels, since that's where kids develop their interests, which might later lead to college-major preference and ultimately job preference.

I can say that there is certain amount of sex-based bias in computer science programs, in general. It's nothing explicit - there is virtually nobody saying "we don't want women students in our department." However, there are cultural things going on, derived from the history of these academic programs, that tend to make females less attracted to the programs. I can testify that this "attractiveness of the computer science program" issue does exist at the University of Minnesota, which is otherwise a great academic program in virtually all other aspects. This cultural-bias issue (that makes these academic programs less attractive to females, or makes it so they never think of the possibiity in the first place) need not be so. Two computer science programs that I know of (and perhaps a couple more that I don't know - but not many) previously had less than 20% females enrolled in their computer science undergrad programs, but then they did a complete revamp of their curriculum and syllabus, and subsequently had 50/50 males and females enrolled - a fix to the problem overnight. These two schools were Brown and Carnegie Mellon.

A relative of mine studies these sorts of things (specifically, how to get more females and minorities interested in STEM studies) as part of PhD studies. That (plus personal experience at the U) is how I know these things. What's disappointing to me, is that now we have idiots running around and screaming "Delete STEM." That would be exactly the opposite of what we need. We need more females ad people of color to enroll in STEM classes. Then Apple and other tech companies could hire them.

Last edited:

CutDownTheNet

Reaction score
Saw this on twitter - could not immediately determine the source.

NASCAR said they examined 1600+ garages and 11 had knots as garage pull downs. Only one - this one, was tied like that (a noose).

Not a math guy - someone crunch the numbers on one of more than 1600 for the odds.
One in 1600+ is not the relevant probability here. Rather, 1/11 = the conditional probability that the knot looked like a noose, given that the garage stall had a rope with a knot to replace the stock garage-door pull (which may have broken off or something).

Still, a rather odd knot - I would have used a simple square knot. But maybe the person who put it up was a boater or something, or otherwise knew a lot about knots, and decided that was a good knot to use since it was unlikely to come undone. Also, even though it looks like a noose, it was probably tied tight so as not to slip. Who wants a knot to strangle your hand every time you use the rope to close the garage door.

Anyway, good to find out that it was much ado about nothing.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Being a navy man I would have opted for a bosuns whistle lanyard knot. Just say’n

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Ridiculous. How in the world can they spin this?

Wake up, Minneapolis. These people are neither sane or your friends.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
(disclaimer - I am not taking a "side" on this. just offering it as a point of information.)

Chip Scoggins has an interesting story in the Strib today. He went through the front-office staffs for all of the pro sports teams in town and the top level of the Gopher Athletic Department.

Bottom line, out of 79 GM's, executives and head coaches, 8 are minorities and 71 are white. While the majority of the athletes on most teams are black - or in the case of the Twins, from Latin-American countries.

Scoggins notes that the Vikes had a high-ranking minority exec in Kevin Warren before he became the B1G Commissioner, but the person hired by the Vikes to replace Warren is white.

Worth a read.

Livingat45north

Reaction score
Ridiculous. How in the world can they spin this?

Wake up, Minneapolis. These people are neither sane or your friends.
Get rid of the police as a public service, and the result is the rich and famous get protection and the others don't. It'll just further separate the rich ruling class from everyone else, which many say is the goal of the Democratic Party.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
(disclaimer - I am not taking a "side" on this. just offering it as a point of information.)

Chip Scoggins has an interesting story in the Strib today. He went through the front-office staffs for all of the pro sports teams in town and the top level of the Gopher Athletic Department.

Bottom line, out of 79 GM's, executives and head coaches, 8 are minorities and 71 are white. While the majority of the athletes on most teams are black - or in the case of the Twins, from Latin-American countries.

Scoggins notes that the Vikes had a high-ranking minority exec in Kevin Warren before he became the B1G Commissioner, but the person hired by the Vikes to replace Warren is white.

Worth a read.
Athletes do not necessarily make good executives or vice versa. Different skill set. Is it racism? ?‍♂ I think it’s more inside baseball than that.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
More from this jackwagon. Nice to get in another shot on the MPD. Call your neighbor Cunningham! Perhaps consult your new district warlord for protection.

PeoplesFront

Reaction score
I hope ol’ Phillipe’s security detail is limited to a ten round mag. Educated folks like her tell us country bumpkins that we don’t need anything more than that.

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
"Demands"
nope, the woke from the left are just that, ridiculous. Something like the golden girls episode getting pulled is just a media company wanting to prove their wokeness, otherwise called CYA

Top Bottom