Should a parent not have empathy?

GopherJake

Reaction score
Bad day for the Dems and Schumer today.
Why is this bad news for the Dems? This is exactly what they wanted and exactly what Don said about 15 minutes ago - along with all his idiot sheep - he didn't have the power to do.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Bad day for the Dems and Schumer today. Trump signed an executive order keeping the kids with the parents. It is going to be a logistical nightmare but maybe this will force congress to move further. The wall would solve most all of this. The R's should be just blowing the bill through- but oh, I forgot we still have John McCain, Susan Collins and a half dozen others who are.....posing as Rs
The wall would solve maybe 1% of this. What a stupid post. The dems got exactly what they wanted, made Trump look like an idiot for claiming he couldnt' stop it then stopping it and the dems look good because they were the first ones to jump all over this, blow it up, and push for the change. They just got Trump to change something in their favor, win for the Ds, major loss for Trump.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Are you really attempting to compare this policy at the border with slavery?
Secretary of Homeland Security, Nielson, says the separation that has taken place is precisely because they cannot determine if the adult is actually the child's parent or if the child is being smuggled in as a possible slave.
Is Sec Nielson lying?
Your attempt to compare this incident to slavery is poorly thought out at best. It reveals that you have chosen a political side and think your view is best for the United States.
In short, no. It was a response to your observations about moral relativism.

MennoSota

Reaction score
He really is. This is the new Bad- formerly an excellent poster here whom one could disagree with reasonably. He should switch his moniker to Worse. He hasn't had a well thought out post on the OTT board in about 20 months. What's with that?
Watch out for the three fingers pointing back, bga1. I think bad can speak for himself.

MennoSota

Reaction score
In short, no. It was a response to your observations about moral relativism.
Thanks for your response. We all can get worked up on issues, especially those that affect our most vulnerable.

Section2

Reaction score
The wall would solve maybe 1% of this. What a stupid post. The dems got exactly what they wanted, made Trump look like an idiot for claiming he couldnt' stop it then stopping it and the dems look good because they were the first ones to jump all over this, blow it up, and push for the change. They just got Trump to change something in their favor, win for the Ds, major loss for Trump.
I'm sure Dems would have preferred this drag on for awhile. And I'm not sure it's a win for anyone. One thing is clear, the fact that Trump signed the order and backed down is just what Hitler would have done.

howeda7

Reaction score
I'm sure Dems would have preferred this drag on for awhile. And I'm not sure it's a win for anyone. One thing is clear, the fact that Trump signed the order and backed down is just what Hitler would have done.
Section2 Nazi reference. Everyone drink!

Section2

Reaction score
Section2 Nazi reference. Everyone drink!
I'm just trying to catch up on the number of times you've said "believe me" "bigly" or "the best people". I've got 1000s of more nazi references to go so buckle up.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
I don't quite get your hitler reference...

I'm sure the Dems would have loved it to drag on right into midterms. I think it's more of a loss for trump than a win for Ds but a win nonetheless. The Rs continue to look foolish on border security and immigration. They should really get something done already.

Section2

Reaction score

I'm sure the Dems would have loved it to drag on right into midterms. I think it's more of a loss for trump than a win for Ds but a win nonetheless. The Rs continue to look foolish on border security and immigration. They should really get something done already.
pretty much agree, but I'm not sure other than this issue that they look so foolish.

Section2

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Who could have possibly seen this coming!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm shocked I tell you!

GoodasGold

Reaction score

I don't know for what about Hitler...but how about this Goebbels guy:confused:
Goebbels-Miller.jpg

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
So in this case Trump is the good guy? And the bad guys are....migrant kids?
Howie, please don’t attempt to interpret my abstract jokes. I know it’s not that funny, but you don’t have to turn it into a commentary on “migrant kids”.

Section2

Reaction score
What have they done to address the issue?
zero tolerance policy on the border, but now with keeping families together and not separating kids. I mean, you're right, they haven't built or received funding for the wall, and they haven't really passed anything, but I don't know that it makes them look foolish.

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
zero tolerance policy on the border, but now with keeping families together and not separating kids. I mean, you're right, they haven't built or received funding for the wall, and they haven't really passed anything, but I don't know that it makes them look foolish.
Fair enough, I should have stated they only look foolish to people who are paying attention (just to clarify I'm not saying you don't pay attention). The majority of R voters have no idea they have done nothing. I'm sure some think the wall has already been built.

The gridlock in congress is frustrating, they really need to start addressing some of these issues.

Section2

Reaction score
Howie, you let me know when you've read enough CNN articles telling you what to think about the Dems now saying keeping families together isn't enough.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Well played, The Hill.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Well played, The Hill.

<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="1009516935715934208"></twitterwidget>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
He's a pathological liar. He also did the right thing.

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.c5b006ac082bc92aa829181b9ce63af1.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forums.gopherhole.com&settingsEndpoint=https%3A%2F%2Fsyndication.twitter.com%2Fsettings" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

howeda7

Reaction score
Howie, please don’t attempt to interpret my abstract jokes. I know it’s not that funny, but you don’t have to turn it into a commentary on “migrant kids”.
I didn't realize you were joking. I once watched Fox News for over an hour and by the end I believed that they believed we were in a war against evil (i.e. Obama) for the soul of America. So I thought perhaps you saw a parallel between now and then.

howeda7

Reaction score
Fair enough, I should have stated they only look foolish to people who are paying attention (just to clarify I'm not saying you don't pay attention). The majority of R voters have no idea they have done nothing. I'm sure some think the wall has already been built.

The gridlock in congress is frustrating, they really need to start addressing some of these issues.
In part because Trump lies to them and tells them it is.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
I didn't realize you were joking. I once watched Fox News for over an hour and by the end I believed that they believed we were in a war against evil (i.e. Obama) for the soul of America. So I thought perhaps you saw a parallel between now and then.
Oh. You make bad jokes too. :)

howeda7

Reaction score
Howie, you let me know when you've read enough CNN articles telling you what to think about the Dems now saying keeping families together isn't enough.
CNN! Good one. We are now back where we were before which was flawed. If you have the flu, light yourself on fire, and then put it out, you still have the flu. The courts have already ruled there is a limit on how long they can detain kids. They either need to address that with legislation or somehow be able to process these families at a much faster rate. Obama didn't fix this part of the problem. Maybe Trump can.

Section2

Reaction score
That's how I feel in the Trump era when I watch anything except Fox News.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
That's how I feel in the Trump era when I watch anything except Fox News.
On Special Report tonight, Bret Baier issued a correction and acknowledged that they used a picture of a child in a cage that was out of context. “It was, in fact, staged as part of a protest for detentions”, and he apologized for the error.

I’m sure this was Fox News getting caught ginning up the issue for their Liberal Democrat base.

Oh wait.:confused:

howeda7

Reaction score
Naturally the Trump administration shut this program down.

https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2017/06/ice-shuts-down-program-for-asylum-seekers/529887/

The United States’ family case management program provides a more relaxed alternative to detention facilities, functioning less like a prison and more like a counseling center. As part of the program, social workers connect asylum-seekers to legal representation, guide them through the court system, and help them receive housing and healthcare, as well as schooling for their children. Asylum-seekers must also have demonstrated that they legitimately fear returning to their country of origin in order to qualify.

Since January 2016, the program has served asylum-seekers in numerous cities across the U.S., including Chicago, Miami, New York, Los Angeles, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C. According to a letter signed by Ann Schlarb, the senior vice president of The GEO Group—the prison company that runs the case management program—99 percent of the program’s participants “successfully attended their court appearances and ICE check-ins.” Schlarb even noted that “families have thrived” under the relaxed conditions.

With the program scheduled to close on June 20, future asylum-seekers who aren’t held in detention centers are likely to end up in “intensive supervision” programs—a cost-effective alternative to family case management. The AP writes that case management programs cost around $36 a day for one family, while intensive supervision programs cost between $5 and $7 for each individual. “By discontinuing [family case management], ICE will save more than $12 million a year—money which can be utilized for other programs which more effectively allow ICE to discharge its enforcement and removal responsibilities," Rodriguez said in a statement. The trade-off, however, is that asylum-seekers will have access to fewer resources and will likely be forced to wear uncomfortable ankle monitors.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Howie, I’m thinking the Federal Govt should invest in Time Shares for their housing. Wha da ya think?

Seriously, what do you think life was like on the journey through Mexico? I heard that it was over 100 degrees in Arizona today at one of the camps. They had air conditioning in the housing facilities and were probably happier than heck to have that, food, clothes, and bedding. Not to mention educational activities, toys, etc.

We owe them good keeping and the right to have their case heard. It doesn’t have to be better than Motel 6.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
or just murdering them.

And relatedly, while Cory Lewandowski is a total dooche, I noticed quite a few people upset that he poo pooed the down's syndrome child in the facility. Democrats have a solution to that one as well.
Early pre school? Head Start?

Top Bottom