Should a parent not have empathy?

Section2

Reaction score
Nazi's, nazis, nazis. 75% of the references to it are by you crying about others.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
The problem is that not just one side feels that the country needs saving. At present there is so many faux moral arguments being made strictly from point of view that there seems to be no objective moral truth to fight for. Everyone is running around claiming moral high ground without ever defining what morality means.
Right now, both Dems and Repubs claim they are fighting to save the USA. I distrust both groups.
There were two sides to the argument in 1861, too.

Texas-Gopher

Reaction score
What's your basis for this belief? I've seen articles bemoaning how millennials aren't having kids etc.
Really? 325,000,000 and counting and that's not enough? You've never driven in Houston have you. I live in a rural area and you still can't get away from houses and pavement, and people cutting down trees and pouring concrete. Lakes packed with boats. Overflowing landfills.

It may be technically feasible to keep packing people in but to what end?

I read someplace (no reference, but I believe it) that the impoverished population of the world grows by 100,000,000 per year. That's not how many there are, that's how many more there are this year than last year. IMO our efforts should be focused on making the world more like America, not America more like the world (and on making America better).

justthefacts

Reaction score

Texas-Gopher

Reaction score

In a CNN article today they said: "a regime that seeks to dehumanize and destroy in their pursuit of a white nationalist agenda."
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/20/opinions/lewandowski-womp-womp-is-terrifying-perry-opinion/index.html

And then they will say we should all respect each other and have a reasonable dialogue. SMH

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
This is the issue. Even when Trump does exactly what the MSM and Democrats demand, they are still compelled to color the decision as ‘you didn’t do it for the right reasons’. You’re scum, right?

IMO, this EO will only make it more difficult to fix immigration. I’m hopeful that it will help with the immediate issue of separating families, but I doubt it will help illegal immigrants in the long run.

justthefacts

Reaction score
Really? 325,000,000 and counting and that's not enough? You've never driven in Houston have you. I live in a rural area and you still can't get away from houses and pavement, and people cutting down trees and pouring concrete. Lakes packed with boats. Overflowing landfills.

I read someplace (no reference, but I believe it) that the impoverished population of the world grows by 100,000,000 per year. That's not how many there are, that's how many more there are this year than last year. IMO our efforts should be focused on making the world more like America, not America more like the world (and on making America better).
If only there were some organization dedicated to the idea of providing free/affordable birth control to those who can't afford it themselves.

justthefacts

Reaction score
This is the issue. Even when Trump does exactly what the MSM and Democrats demand, they are still compelled to color the decision as ‘you didn’t do it for the right reasons’. You’re scum, right?

IMO, this EO will only make it more difficult to fix immigration. I’m hopeful that it will help with the immediate issue of separating families, but I doubt it will help illegal immigrants in the long run.
I wasn't even really thinking about that part, only the part that KAC liked that tweet.

I agree that any time (and we see this in sports as well) that an official or organization reverses course, I think it's stupid to criticize them for not taking that approach earlier. It only encourages people to be completely immune to public pressure, and that's not exactly a quality I'm looking for in an elected official.

(Please note that this is NOT the same as saying it's dumb to criticize them for lying about their inability to change it.)

GopherJake

Reaction score
I meant to insert a qualifier but deleted after modifying my first draft of a response. I was too broad in my initial statement.
Fair enough. Kudos. Carry on.

Oh, and I’m sure it got lost in the 10,000 KFC posts in the last couple days, but S2 and I had a question in another thread about the meaning of “at will” in one of your posts. Did you see that?

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Awesome. Soledad O'Brien was the one jumping the Twitter guy for the audacity of having a chicken sandwich in June.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Fair enough. Kudos. Carry on.

Oh, and I’m sure it got lost in the 10,000 KFC posts in the last couple days, but S2 and I had a question in another thread about the meaning of “at will” in one of your posts. Did you see that?
I was starting to like you Jake, but now you’re making it real hard.

GopherJake

Reaction score
I was starting to like you Jake, but now you’re making it real hard.
Seriously, KFC, you have been nearly non-stop posting for 48 hours. I truly think you need to set down the computer and take a break.

Section2

Reaction score
If only there were some organization dedicated to the idea of providing free/affordable birth control to those who can't afford it themselves.
or just murdering them.

And relatedly, while Cory Lewandowski is a total dooche, I noticed quite a few people upset that he poo pooed the down's syndrome child in the facility. Democrats have a solution to that one as well.

howeda7

Reaction score
we are awful, our history is shameful. It's mostly because we're too male and white, amirite?
Nice attempt to play the victim card. Us white men have it so tough in modern America. That's why Trump won.

howeda7

Reaction score

It sounds like you're applying a local issue to the entire country. I don't know what the optimal population level of the US is, but there will always be immigration. Granting asylum to those who qualify is not going to increase the population of the country in a material way.

howeda7

Reaction score

I'm glad he's taking this temporary measure. But you can't start a fire and then complain that you aren't getting enough credit for putting it out.

GopherJake

Reaction score

Urban sprawl does not equate to explosive population growth. To the bold - the world added 85M people last year and population growth, by percentage, has been falling, essentially, since 1967. So, your 100M of impoverished growth alone is not close.

That said, your point still stands, in a larger sense. The population of the earth is growing, headed toward a seemingly unsustainable place. I'm guessing some catastrophic event or series of events, or technology, will rectify the situation...............

MennoSota

Reaction score
There were two sides to the argument in 1861, too.
Are you really attempting to compare this policy at the border with slavery?
Secretary of Homeland Security, Nielson, says the separation that has taken place is precisely because they cannot determine if the adult is actually the child's parent or if the child is being smuggled in as a possible slave.
Is Sec Nielson lying?
Your attempt to compare this incident to slavery is poorly thought out at best. It reveals that you have chosen a political side and think your view is best for the United States.

bga1

Reaction score
Are you really attempting to compare this policy at the border with slavery?
Secretary of Homeland Security, Nielson, says the separation that has taken place is precisely because they cannot determine if the adult is actually the child's parent or if the child is being smuggled in as a possible slave.
Is Sec Nielson lying?
Your attempt to compare this incident to slavery is poorly thought out at best. It reveals that you have chosen a political side and think your view is best for the United States.
He really is. This is the new Bad- formerly an excellent poster here whom one could disagree with reasonably. He should switch his moniker to Worse. He hasn't had a well thought out post on the OTT board in about 20 months. What's with that?

bga1

Reaction score
So in this case Trump is the good guy? And the bad guys are....migrant kids?
Bad day for the Dems and Schumer today. Trump signed an executive order keeping the kids with the parents. It is going to be a logistical nightmare but maybe this will force congress to move further. The wall would solve most all of this. The R's should be just blowing the bill through- but oh, I forgot we still have John McCain, Susan Collins and a half dozen others who are.....posing as Rs

Top Bottom