Sheldon Adelson, Republican Billionaire Mega-Donor, has died at 87

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Sheldon Adelson Has Left Las Vegas

Sheldon Adelson, the chairman and CEO of Las Vegas Sands and a major donor to Republican politicians, died late Monday
following complications related to his cancer treatment, his company said. He was 87.

Adelson and his wife, Miriam, donated hundreds of millions of dollars to Republican-aligned super PACs. They plowed more than $215 million into federal super PACs in the last two years, making them largest publicly disclosed donors of the 2020 elections, according to a tally by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics.

In 2016, Adelson emerged as a powerful voice backing then-candidate Donald Trump at a time when many GOP traditional donors were reluctant to support the brash real estate developer.
In May 2016, as Trump clinched the Republican presidential nomination, Adelson penned a Washington Post opinion piece, urging the party's financial benefactors to unite behind Trump after a bruising primary.

Adelson called Trump a "CEO success story." "You may not like Trump's style or what he says on Twitter, but this country needs strong executive leadership more today than at almost any point in its history," Adelson wrote.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/12/business/sheldon-adelson-death/index.html

Wally

Reaction score
Good riddance to one of Trumps biggest enablers.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I was looking at the LV Sands' properties, and actually most of them are over in Asia. Lot in Macao. They also have the really famous cantilevered building in Singapore.

In Vegas, it's just the Venetian-Pallazio complex.

TurfGopher

Reaction score
He is a pretty much the sole reason why the GOP is so Pro-israel.

TurfGopher

Reaction score
The enemy of my enemy (Muslims), is my friend?
Well he was a mega wealthy Jew who would support the GOP candidate who was the most pro-Israel. But I suppose pro Israel and Anti Arab are conflating principles of conservative ideology.

Minnesota

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if this has any impact on online gambling in the US. He was its biggest opponent.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Well he was a mega wealthy Jew who would support the GOP candidate who was the most pro-Israel. But I suppose pro Israel and Anti Arab are conflating principles of conservative ideology.
It just always seemed odd to me that devoutly Christian conservatives would be "getting in bed" so to speak with people who fervently reject Jesus. But I guess where there's a will to undermine the government, there's a way to look past aspects of peoples' personal lives.

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
It just always seemed odd to me that devoutly Christian conservatives would be "getting in bed" so to speak with people who fervently reject Jesus. But I guess where there's a will to undermine the government, there's a way to look past aspects of peoples' personal lives.

Those devoutly Christian conservatives reject Jesus. They're all so full of shit, none of them give a hoot about anything or anyone else except for an hour or so on the weekend.

USAF

Reaction score
The Onion is so effing great:

,"Hundreds of GOP legislators crowd room for reading of Adelson's will."

Top Bottom