Seth Green in Transfer Portal

btowngopher

Reaction score
I wouldn't say a minor loss. He came in at a time when solid leadership, good work ethics, along with a strong connection to the community was needed as to recruiting.

He has his goals, did well academically and wish him well whatever his next step is.
I think it’s minor as far as what the team needs at this stage. I appreciate what he did for the team and wish him the best.

oak_street1981

Reaction score
His power runs were the best, and the few passes were very inspiring. The rest of the Big Ten will be happy not to see #17 again.

The power, clock milking system Fleck runs is so great to watch. If not Seth, it will just be more of #24.

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Dylan McGill is probably the best bet if they stick with a big wildcat.

Seth provided us with many great moments and was a solid student athlete.

I would like to see PJ incorporate some speed, rather than a power formation, into the Wildcat like many other schools.

oak_street1981

Reaction score
His power runs were the best, and the few passes were very inspiring. The rest of the Big Ten will be happy not to see #17 again.

The power, clock milking system Fleck runs is so great to watch. If not Seth, it will just be more of #24.

MNfootballfan

Reaction score
I am impressed that he has both his undergrad and graduate work done. He leaves UMN with a great resume. Maybe he will go to Harvard for his doctorate and finish out strong on their football team.
Best wishes to Seth on the next leg in his journey.
I think a lot of our 5 year players are in similar educational situations. They attend classes year 'round and end up with being very close to having their undergrad between years 3-4 and close to finishing their masters by the end of their redshirt senior season.

As far as Seth and our football team. He is one player you can't replace, but that doesn't necessarily make his position irreplaceable. I think we are all pretty comfortable giving Mo the ball on the short yardage plays. Seth's skillset and size is what made him excel as a hybrid QB, RB, TE, WR. While it was clear he wasn't going to ever be our starting QB - defenses still had to respect him because he was a capable thrower. I'd guess we move forward with more traditional short yardage formations as the Green Line entered the station one last time.

Thanks Seth for 5 great years! Hope you made some memories that you will keep close to your chest.

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
Seth provided us with many great moments and was a solid student athlete.

I would like to see PJ incorporate some speed, rather than a power formation, into the Wildcat like many other schools.

Agree that if we plan to keep using a wildcat formation it would be nice to see one with some more speed. That said, given Fleck's lack of desire to swap QBs, I would be surprised to see him go that route.

The Green line served a very specific purpose, but it was also a much smaller part of the offense in 2020 than it was in 2019.

Hopefully Seth finds a good landing spot that will provide him with the best opportunity to take his best shot at going pro next year. Good thing is that if football doesn't work out as a long term option for him, he took advantage of his time at the U and hopefully set himself up well for life after football.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Probably end up at Iowa State as they use 3 tight ends all the time
Three TE, all the time?

That seems unlikely, and would be a very radical offense. Meaning you're going 13 personnel for most of the game.

Or it's really 12 pers, and what they're calling a "TE" is really more of a tweener player, something like that. Guy who's maybe 220-230 but can run and move close to like a big-body WR.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I think a lot of our 5 year players are in similar educational situations. They attend classes year 'round and end up with being very close to having their undergrad between years 3-4 and close to finishing their masters by the end of their redshirt senior season.
While this is true, I think the idea is that you take more classes in the spring and summer semesters so that you can take the bare minimum course load during the fall and focus on football, not be too burdened with pesky schoolwork.

GopherJack

Reaction score
Now that Seth has two degrees, how does it work at the next school? As a student athlete, he’ll be required to take classes, right? Is there a minimum amount of credits he needs to take each semester? Does he need to be actively working towards a third degree? Or can he take meaningless classes like underwater basket weaving? Someone in the know, please help me out here. Thanks!

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Now that Seth has two degrees, how does it work at the next school? As a student athlete, he’ll be required to take classes, right? Is there a minimum amount of credits he needs to take each semester? Does he need to be actively working towards a third degree? Or can he take meaningless classes like underwater basket weaving? Someone in the know, please help me out here. Thanks!
As long as he's making progress towards a degree, he should be good to go.

Just because you have a master's in one field, does not prevent you from seeking a master's in some other field. (Usually, if you already have an undergrad degree in some field, you won't be required to earn another undergrad degree in another field in order to earn a master's in that field. But that does depend on the program)

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score

I believe it is still 6 credits per semester.

After you get a degree IIRC there aren't really any specific rules beyond that. You can be a graduate student OR you can actually do work as an undergrad for another degree.

Most NCAA rules about academics are GPA and 'progress towards a degree' and the latter ends after you get a degree.

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there are degree progress rules towards the initial undergrad degree, for the first five calendar years.

IE, the typical scenario. Like, you need to make 20% progress after the first calednar year, 40% after the 2nd, 60% third, and 80% fourth (and then obviously hope you actually finish it off by the fifth).

nitramnaed

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there are degree progress rules towards the initial undergrad degree, for the first five calendar years.

IE, the typical scenario. Like, you need to make 20% progress after the first calednar year, 40% after the 2nd, 60% third, and 80% fourth (and then obviously hope you actually finish it off by the fifth).
Can you be a Teaching Assistant (TA) and get credit for that?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
No idea on that. As long as you earn credit for something, and it counts towards your degree progress, then Bob's your uncle.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
I suspect credits are credits at that point. If it is credits earned like any other credit I don't see why it wouldn't count. I've never heard of the NCAA being picky about credits.

Hell they're not picky about entirely fake classes....

BilldGopher

Section 211
Reaction score
Early on I had my doubts about the Wildcat Green Formation but became a believer. It was very important in 2019.

Seth has been, and always shall be, a Golden Gopher.

Good luck from here.

60's Guy

Reaction score
I think you are way overestimating his contributions.
Most people feel that way. I feel differently. Time will possibly offer some evidence if he is missed next year. Of course, most won't think it is/was a factor then either.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
I wouldn't say a minor loss. He came in at a time when solid leadership, good work ethics, along with a strong connection to the community was needed as to recruiting.

He has his goals, did well academically and wish him well whatever his next step is.

How has that changed?

hungan1

Reaction score
It will be really cool see if Seth Green eventually gets a doctorate.

I don't think replacing Seth with another Seth type player is the plan. My hunch is that they will adapt their Wildcat and RPO to the skillsets they have available. I could see them adding speed with players like McGill or Hoskins. Maybe a QB like Kramer? For players like him, maybe this is the chance for playing time. Time will tell. The new kids will show whether they are ready for big time college football or not as soon as they start practicing with the team. If they are ready, great. If not strength and conditioning will get them there.

Strange things happen. Injuries can change the trajectory of a promising player only to open an opportunity for another. It's next man up in RTB fashion.

Last edited:

alchemy2u

Reaction score
Speculation, but if you’re coach and a kid has two degrees wouldn’t you encourage them to move on? Whether it saves scholarship $ at the U or provides the player a chance to grow in another program, it seems like a good move.

He was fun to watch and very valuable to Fleck’s transition at the U.
I agree. He already has his undergraduate and a master degree from the U. He can transfer, get another master and use the leverage to play TE. He probably hopes he can follow the M Gray path into the NFL

MplsGopher

Reaction score
It will be really cool see if Seth Green eventually gets a doctorate.
Not to say that he won't.

But getting a doctorate can be quite a lot different than getting a Master's, beyond just the extra time. There are a decent number of fields these days that allow you to do it without really doing a reasearch project and thesis. You can just take extra coursework and get a Master's.

And it makes sense, because it's a nice money maker for the school. You get grad students in the door, don't need to use up too much of your faculty's time (other than teaching grad level courses that were probably going to be taught anyway), and the student gets the credential out of it to go on the resume.

50PoundHead

Reaction score
Always liked Seth and glad they found a way to use his football talents effectively on the field. Really seems to be a stand-up kid (I'm old, so almost everyone is a kid) that parlayed the scholarship into a couple of degrees. True student-athlete.

fan of Ray Williams

Reaction score
Really did appreciate the guy and have a lot of respect for him. Hope he finds great success in his next stop.

Top Bottom