Seth Green in Transfer Portal

GoGoGopher12

Reaction score
So - the question is - do the Gophers find a new "wildcat" QB -
or, do they go to other options? (standard offense in goal-line situations; find a dual-threat QB who can run and pass out of regular sets?)

I would personally rather have a regular QB who is more of a running threat. Doesn't have to run the ball 10-15 times a game, but in the right situation, would be nice to have a regular QB who can take off and run for a 1st down.
Agree with this. I love how Clemson used Trevor Lawrence in the run game. There's nothing special about his running ability (he's a 4.7 guy) but he seemed to always use his length to his advantage. He's a true Pro-style QB but Swinney made a damn good runner out of him.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
or, do they go to other options? (standard offense in goal-line situations; find a dual-threat QB who can run and pass out of regular sets?)

I would personally rather have a regular QB who is more of a running threat. Doesn't have to run the ball 10-15 times a game, but in the right situation, would be nice to have a regular QB who can take off and run for a 1st down.

I think having a wildcat package like the Gophers had is more about happenstance. They had Seth and an OL that could pull it off ... that worked for him.

Not sure you can just make that happen / recruit a QB for THAT alone or try to convert someone who isn't Seth...

Word

Eats difficult conversations
Reaction score
Dylan McGill is probably the best bet if they stick with a big wildcat.
How about Kramer? Supposedly athletic and should be able to throw better than Green. Obviously not as big as Green but if we want some threat of a throw...

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Green saying on Twitter he wants to be a flex TE at his next school. Has said it multiple times.

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
I think Q is a better athlete than Green though. I think Seth would be a big longshot for the NFL.

Agree that he will be a longshot for the NFL but can totally understand his wanting to see if he can find a better fit for his final year in order to improve his odds some.

Hopefully it works out well for him and he is able to find a good fit for 2021 and eventually make his way to the NFL.

MplsGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Even as a receiver, you have to be able to block your buns off. Let alone TE, regardless if you're actually tight or not and regardless if you start up in 2-point or you have your hand in the dirt.

Not saying Green can't block. But if my memory serves me, Fleck moved him to TE first, and for whatever reasons it didn't work out. Would guess that has something to do with blocking.

Obviously is a freak athlete, and obviously can catch a ball (not sure if he's elite at that, but he could play receiver in FBS).

nitramnaed

Reaction score
I think Q is a better athlete than Green though. I think Seth would be a big longshot for the NFL.
Maybe. But Seth has all those intangibles that coaches love. He'll be great on special teams. If it doesn't work out he has that masters to fall back on. Hopefully come back to Minnesota and be a leader.

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
Maybe. But Seth has all those intangibles that coaches love. He'll be great on special teams. If it doesn't work out he has that masters to fall back on. Hopefully come back to Minnesota and be a leader.
Gotta be some value in later round picks where "if I can't do X, maybe I can do Y with this guy".

mkAz

Reaction score
I hate to see him go, but wish him the best of luck.

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
Good luck to Seth Green, he will do well in the future after football. Hopefully his next place he will get more opportunity's to catch the ball.

Wally

Reaction score
I would guess he is basing his decision more on the next degree he intends to get. That would be the smartest thing for him to do.

Two degrees is impressive, he obviously doesn't lack motivation.

SJUgopher

Reaction score
I would guess he is basing his decision more on the next degree he intends to get. That would be the smartest thing for him to do.

Two degrees is impressive, he obviously doesn't lack motivation.
No inside info, but wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up at Ok State. He’s got two younger brothers there and I bet they never thought they’d be able to play FB together given their age difference.

Pete smith

Reaction score
Probably end up at Iowa State as they use 3 tight ends all the time, and at least 2 were listed as Seniors this past year.

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score

JONATHAN MANN...as a junior, recorded 30 receptions for 729 yards and eight touchdowns and also rushed for 1,046 yards and 12 touchdowns...

DYLAN McGILL...as a senior in 2019, threw for 1,199 and 12 touchdowns and rushed for 936 yards and 12 touchdowns...

Height and athleticism. Both need about 10-15 more pounds of muscle.

#2Gopher

Reaction score
I wouldn't say a minor loss. He came in at a time when solid leadership, good work ethics, along with a strong connection to the community was needed as to recruiting.

He has his goals, did well academically and wish him well whatever his next step is.

BroncoRedux

Reaction score
I noticed Ski U Mah and Go Gophers. Fleckisms were not included. Accident? I think not.

STPGopher

Reaction score
Watching Mo block for Seth Green from the Wildcat has been fun.

Guys like Seth are what make college football special. He found his role and helped us win football games. He graduated college and got his master's degree.

I think Seth probably goes somewhere to play QB and I'll be cheering for him.
Not sure about the QB part, but agree with everything else!

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
JONATHAN MANN...as a junior, recorded 30 receptions for 729 yards and eight touchdowns and also rushed for 1,046 yards and 12 touchdowns...

DYLAN McGILL...as a senior in 2019, threw for 1,199 and 12 touchdowns and rushed for 936 yards and 12 touchdowns...

Height and athleticism. Both need about 10-15 more pounds of muscle.
Jonathan Mann is listed at 6’3” 225, and I believe current roster info is carryover from fall season. Might hit 230 at end of spring practices? He might be Wild Cat ready at present ... if PJ wants to use him.

Vandy

Reaction score
Great asset to the program since day one. Did everything asked of him, was very productive, and got a great education too. Thanks Seth and good luck! Go after your dream!

60's Guy

Reaction score
Don’t agree at all his loss is insignificant.
He was definitely a team leader. Sometimes those are not easily replaced. We do not go 11 and 2 without Seth Green. He was huge at critical times in 2019.
If he is only going to play a couple plays a game like 2020 and not have a significant role...ya, I’d transfer too. And under those circumstances the impact is not as big a factor on the surface but it will be in the win column without similar big play performances from someone else in 2021.
Seth didn’t get the opportunities in 2020 and nobody took his place delivering big plays.
(We could also argue nobody had the opportunity—there was no package teams had to worry about other than Mo running and Tanner throwing.)
We didn’t utilize a pretty big strength. Now we need a new effective wrinkle that teams need to worry about for the best chance to win 8, 9 games.

hungan1

Reaction score
As some have said, an ideal representation of what we want out of a student-athlete at the U. Seth stuck with us through position changes, an evolving role and his name getting dragged into that scandal. Very thankful and proud to call Seth a Gopher for life!

These are the type of players that we'd want a lot of on any team. Great team player, never whined or complained, great leadership, selfless, put in the hard work, and contributed in ways that he didn't plan on his career going as a football player. He played a vital role, is part of the cog in a wheel.

Congrats and Godspeed Seth Green! Good luck on your next adventure! Hold the maroon and gold standard up high.

btowngopher

Reaction score
Don’t agree at all his loss is insignificant.
He was definitely a team leader. Sometimes those are not easily replaced. We do not go 11 and 2 without Seth Green. He was huge at critical times in 2019.
If he is only going to play a couple plays a game like 2020 and not have a significant role...ya, I’d transfer too. And under those circumstances the impact is not as big a factor on the surface but it will be in the win column without similar big play performances from someone else in 2021.
Seth didn’t get the opportunities in 2020 and nobody took his place delivering big plays.
(We could also argue nobody had the opportunity—there was no package teams had to worry about other than Mo running and Tanner throwing.)
We didn’t utilize a pretty big strength. Now we need a new effective wrinkle that teams need to worry about for the best chance to win 8, 9 games.
I think you are way overestimating his contributions.

Top Bottom