Rush Limbaugh, RIP

stocker08

Reaction score
I was saying that the lefties on here gave one a pass because “he apologized” for his past. Not a try - just a fact.
Mischaracterization. Typical of today's right. Byrd did more than just apologize. He quit the KKK when he was only around 27 or 28 years old and became a proponent of civil rights later on in his career and life. Maybe redemption is difficult for righties to wrap their heads around....maybe it's willful ignorance because it doesn't fit their agenda.

“Senator Byrd reflects the transformative power of this nation,” stated NAACP President and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous. “Senator Byrd went from being an active member of the KKK to a being a stalwart supporter of the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act and many other pieces of seminal legislation that advanced the civil rights and liberties of our country.

“Senator Byrd came to consistently support the NAACP civil rights agenda, doing well on the NAACP Annual Civil Rights Report Card. He stood with us on many issues of crucial importance to our members from the reauthorization of the Voting Rights Act, the historic health care legislation of 2010 and his support for the Hate Crimes Prevention legislation,” stated Hilary O. Shelton, Director of the NAACP Washington Bureau and Senior Vice President for Advocacy and Policy. “Senator Byrd was a master of the Senate Rules, and helped strategize passage of legislation that helped millions of Americans. He will be sorely missed.”

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/106189-naacp-mourns-byrds-death

Wally

Reaction score
Byrd did more than just apologize. He quit the KKK when he was only around 27 or 28 years old and became a proponent of civil rights later on in his career and life.
Your saying he rejected his culture and upbringing. I am sure the righties hate him.

Section2

Reaction score
Mischaracterization. Typical of today's right. Byrd did more than just apologize. He quit the KKK when he was only around 27 or 28 years old and became a proponent of civil rights later on in his career and life. Maybe redemption is difficult for righties to wrap their heads around....maybe it's willful ignorance because it doesn't fit their agenda.

“Senator Byrd reflects the transformative power of this nation,” stated NAACP President and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous. “Senator Byrd went from being an active member of the KKK to a being a stalwart supporter of the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act and many other pieces of seminal legislation that advanced the civil rights and liberties of our country.

“Senator Byrd came to consistently support the NAACP civil rights agenda, doing well on the NAACP Annual Civil Rights Report Card. He stood with us on many issues of crucial importance to our members from the reauthorization of the Voting Rights Act, the historic health care legislation of 2010 and his support for the Hate Crimes Prevention legislation,” stated Hilary O. Shelton, Director of the NAACP Washington Bureau and Senior Vice President for Advocacy and Policy. “Senator Byrd was a master of the Senate Rules, and helped strategize passage of legislation that helped millions of Americans. He will be sorely missed.”

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/106189-naacp-mourns-byrds-death
I assume he was a Republican when he was in the KKK, and then switched parties, that’s how that works right?

Wally

Reaction score
I assume he was a Republican when he was in the KKK, and then switched parties, that’s how that works right?
More like the Republicans decided to become the party of white Supremacy with their Southern Strategy and all the Southern Whites switched from Dem to Republican party.

I guess that flip flop never happened right?

Section2

Reaction score
More like the Republicans decided to become the party of white Supremacy with their Southern Strategy and all the Southern Whites switched from Dem to Republican party.

Correct, it didn’t.

howeda7

Reaction score

2 lives in denial of this and nothing will change his mind.

golf

Reaction score
Trump pushed his cancel culture ideas and his minions acted. His "fake news" calls have been the exact definition of cancel culture. Nobody cared that Kaep did that on company time. That was hardly brought up at all. It was the message that the right hated and is a perfect example of cancel culture.

There is no grand canyon sized difference. The only difference is that the right whines not stop about these things and the left doesn't. Also that the right (you) refuse to acknowledge when you do the same thing. Excuses for why it's alright when the right does it only proves your extreme bias and lessens the effectiveness of your argument.
Yeah, shockingly guess we are not going to agree much on this topic. I appreciate being forced to take a look again at my views. Probly a good thing for all of us to reexamine things from time to time :).

Wally

Reaction score
This is so blatantly, obviously false that every single thing you say, or have ever said, is now open to question.
Deuce lives in a very comfortable bubble of denial....

Section2

Reaction score
This is so blatantly, obviously false that every single thing you say, or have ever said, is now open to question.
It’s not. The narrative you’ve been told is wrong. It’s an attempt to rewrite history to absolve Democrats of their past.

USAF

Reaction score
It’s not. The narrative you’ve been told is wrong. It’s an attempt to rewrite history to absolve Democrats of their past.
LOL.

There wasn't a "southern strategy?"

Southern whites don't currently, and for at least a couple decades now, vote overwhelmingly Republican?

None of that is true?

Because that's the points you're arguing.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Oh, melvin. :( This is why you always end up looking so damn foolish.
FOOLISH!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: POOBAH!

Check out his gem from our very own Poobah, Jam Jam himself:

3/23/20

"If you want straight talk out of a political leader, including discussions on restarting the economy as quickly and efficiently as feasible, check out any Andrew Cuomo daily briefing. He's on top of everything in NY, speaks in specifics (none of this "under the bold and decisive leadership of President Trump..." crap that Pence vomits daily) and he's realistic on the expectations front. If the management of this crisis could be turned over to Cuomo, Fauci and Birx, the country would be in better shape."

Own this one Poobah!!!!

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Instead of hearing from a bunch of people who didn’t know Rush Limbaugh and want to judge him for some isolated stories, I dare you to listen to a black man who knew him better than anyone other than his family. Starts at 1:45 or so.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
As I said when I started this thread, I found Rush to be entertaining. I was driving a lot, and radio is perfect for that.

That said, Rush has 30 years of public material to judge him by. If he’s different off air, and if you really get to know him personally he’s different, it doesn’t mean he hasn’t said all the things he’s said. No different from this place.

I heard Rush speak at a St. Thomas fundraiser. In person, he’s got a lot of charisma.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Ross Douthat on what Limbaugh meant to him as a young conservative in the 1980s...

"I wish there was a conservative media infrastructure to compete with the mainstream media! our youthful conservative wished. I wish the right had a bigger footprint in the culture than just George Will columns and National Review! I wish my movement was rich and powerful, a veritable universe unto itself!
Granted! Thanks in no small part to Limbaugh, all of that has come to pass. The price, alas, is that in the world outside the right’s infrastructure, the conservatism of our young Reaganite has suffered a long run of political disasters and cultural defeats."

-------

"This pattern created problems that compounded one another. As Conservatism Inc. became more of a world unto itself, it sealed out bad news for conservative governance, contributing to debacles that doomed Republican presidents — Iraq for George W. Bush, Covid for Donald Trump. These debacles helped make conservatism less popular, closer to a 45 percent than a 55 percent proposition in presidential races, a blocking coalition but not a governing one. And this in turn made the right’s passionate core feel more culturally besieged, more desperate for “safe spaces” where liberal perfidy was taken for granted and the most important reasons for conservative defeats were never entertained."

Wally

Reaction score
Ross Douthat on what Limbaugh meant to him as a young conservative in the 1980s...

"I wish there was a conservative media infrastructure to compete with the mainstream media! our youthful conservative wished. I wish the right had a bigger footprint in the culture than just George Will columns and National Review! I wish my movement was rich and powerful, a veritable universe unto itself!
Granted! Thanks in no small part to Limbaugh, all of that has come to pass. The price, alas, is that in the world outside the right’s infrastructure, the conservatism of our young Reaganite has suffered a long run of political disasters and cultural defeats."

-------

"This pattern created problems that compounded one another. As Conservatism Inc. became more of a world unto itself, it sealed out bad news for conservative governance, contributing to debacles that doomed Republican presidents — Iraq for George W. Bush, Covid for Donald Trump. These debacles helped make conservatism less popular, closer to a 45 percent than a 55 percent proposition in presidential races, a blocking coalition but not a governing one. And this in turn made the right’s passionate core feel more culturally besieged, more desperate for “safe spaces” where liberal perfidy was taken for granted and the most important reasons for conservative defeats were never entertained."

He is basically saying Conservatives fuck up everything they touch.
🤣🤣🤣

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I guess all ideologies are populism, if they're in vogue.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
The Life and Death of a Woman-Hater
Rush Limbaugh made the G.O.P. the party of misogyny.

When the conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh died on Wednesday of complications from cancer, he ended a decades-long career as one of the most malignant and sadistic figures on the right.

His contributions to contemporary conservatism encouraged members of the Republican Party base to be meaner, smaller and more vulgar. He anchored his banter with a steady stream of invective, by turns promoting xenophobia, racism, homophobia and misogyny, teeing up a ready-made audience for the cruelty politics of Donald Trump.

jamiche

Reaction score
Instead of hearing from a bunch of people who didn’t know Rush Limbaugh and want to judge him for some isolated stories, I dare you to listen to a black man who knew him better than anyone other than his family. Starts at 1:45 or so.

Sorry, magat murderer. Rush was on the air daily for approx thirty years spewing hatred, bigotry, racism and misogyny. These were not "some isolated stories."

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Limbaugh made himself rich by cynically pandering to prejudices and grievances. He saw an opportunity, and he exploited it. He told his audience it wasn't only acceptable to be racist, misogynist, homophobic — it was actually patriotic and 'Christian'. He encouraged them to let it all out; all their resentments, their paranoia, their fears of being relegated to a lesser, second-class status. They called in, and he listened and rooted them on as they did just that.

Then another pair of opportunists, Ailes and Murdoch, brought the world the FOX News model, which took it to the next level.

Inevitably, the king of opportunists — and the premier con man extraordinaire — arrived on this sordid scene. Donald Trump took over the crumbling ruin of the Republican Party, brushing aside any vestiges of an actual conservative political entity. He told his lies, aided by Limbaugh, FOX, and the rest, and the Republican establishment groveled at his feet. Then, with his comeuppance at hand and his power at end, he called upon the current generation of Limbaugh's listeners, the MAGA worshippers. At his call, they came, bringing their anger and their entitlement and their damaged psyches all the way to Washington D.C. As Trump urged them on, they marched to the U.S. Capitol, to "take back their country". We saw the results.

What a legacy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom