Ron Paul baffled at being censored by Facebook: I am a non-interventionist and preach non-violence

John Galt

Reaction score
Where will the madness end?

Former Republican presidential contender Ron Paul said Monday he was the latest Republican victim of the social-media purges despite not having advocated political violence or insurrection.

Mr. Paul, a former U.S. House member from Texas, posted a screenshot to Twitter showing that his access to his Facebook page had been blocked.

The libertarian icon and the father of Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky said he was given “no explanation other than ‘repeatedly going against our community standards.’”

Ron Paul baffled by Facebook suspension as conservative purge broadens - Washington Times

RememberMurray

Reaction score
I don't get it; aren't private businesses free to run their own businesses as they see fit anymore?

I mean, isn't that the very definition of libertarianism?

Has Ron Paul, the god of libertarianism, renounced everything he has always stood for? Is he piteously calling for government aid here?

GoodasGold

Reaction score
I don't get it; aren't private businesses free to run their own businesses as they see fit anymore?

Has Ron Paul, the god of libertarianism, renounced everything he has always stood for? Is he piteously calling for government aid here?
So true. Just consider Facebook as a bakery and Ron Paul and Donny Trump as the gay couple. Facebook isn’t gonna bake their cake.

John Galt

Reaction score

You really want major media outlets to be that political? Your CNN echo chamber isn't loud enough, so you want every social media platform to comply as well? We can have conservative and liberal newspapers, TV stations social media platforms, schools, restaurants, bars, etc. Maybe we can two professional football leagues - one where they play the national anthem and people stand and remove their caps, and another where everyone kneels. Every establishment can be labeled as conservative or liberal so people know exactly where to go. We can have two Americas while we live together - fantastic!

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score

Libertarianism is only cool when it doesn't directly affect you

He's another paper tiger/phony baloney just like the OP and the rest of the fellas.

Last edited:

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
A lot of people are going to take their custom they don’t pay for elsewhere.

stocker08

Reaction score
You really want major media outlets to be that political? Your CNN echo chamber isn't loud enough, so you want every social media platform to comply as well? We can have conservative and liberal newspapers, TV stations social media platforms, schools, restaurants, bars, etc. Maybe we can two professional football leagues - one where they play the national anthem and people stand and remove their caps, and another where everyone kneels. Every establishment can be labeled as conservative or liberal so people know exactly where to go. We can have two Americas while we live together - fantastic!
Stop melting down you crazy snowflake.

Facebook isn't a media outlet. Furthermore....the right has already determined that anything that isn't slanted WAY to the right is fake news anyhow. Along with "tv stations, schools, restaurants, bars, football leagues".....it's only you victim righties whining like little babies.

So go ahead and make your right wing versions of those things. We'll just laugh while you continue to meltdown.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Oh, but this has nothing to do with what I want, Galty.

It's about what supposed "libertarians" want. Libertarians are positively adamant about the rights of individuals and private businesses to make their own decisions, based on their own judgements, without outside interference, and especially without GOVERNMENT interference. That, in a nutshell, IS libertarian philosophy.

Well, I hate to break it to you and Ron Paul, but that is exactly what happened here... a business has made a decision about how they conduct their business. And now, Ol' Ron Paul, libertarian god, is screaming foul! "I have been WRONGED!!!!"

I don't get it. Is Ron Paul, libertarian god, saying he no longer thinks businesses should have the right to make decisions based on nothing but their own judgements? Is he flip-flopping on his own life-long libertarianism?

John Galt

Reaction score
Oh, but this has nothing to do with what I want, Galty.

It's about what supposed "libertarians" want. Libertarians are positively adamant about the rights of individuals and private businesses to make their own decisions, based on their own judgements, without outside interference, and especially without GOVERNMENT interference. That, in a nutshell, IS libertarian philosophy.

Well, I hate to break it to you and Ron Paul, but that is exactly what happened here... a business has made a decision about how they conduct their business. And now, Ol' Ron Paul, libertarian god, is screaming foul! "I have been WRONGED!!!!"

I don't get it. Is Ron Paul, libertarian god, saying he no longer thinks businesses should have the right to make decisions based on nothing but their own judgements? Is he flip-flopping on his own life-long libertarianism?
Facebook and Twitter ‘claimed’ they banned Trump because he incited violence. Ron Paul is a non-interventionist and has incited far less violence than any president in US history. They banned him because they don’t like his views. They can absolutely do it, but stop with the charade about inciting violence. They are now willing to regulate any speech on their platform they disagree with.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Facebook and Twitter ‘claimed’ they banned Trump because he incited violence. Ron Paul is a non-interventionist and has incited far less violence than any president in US history. They banned him because they don’t like his views. They can absolutely do it, but stop with the charade about inciting violence. They are now willing to regulate any speech on their platform they disagree with.
They can, absolutely, do it. They can, without a doubt, "regulate any speech they disagree with" on their privately-owned platforms. That's libertarianism. That's the American Way. Businesses decide what's best for their business, and they have no obligation to explain it. Not to you, not to Ron Paul, The Great Libertarian, and not to me.

What is the charade you speak of? Did they claim they banned Ron Paul because he incited violence?

Last edited:

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
He did incite violence, but we didn't see it because he got banned for doing it. See how that works?

NEXT!

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Keep your whining up and I'll have Zuckerberg ban you.

I'm an East Coast Semi-Ellitist - I got him on speed dial.

Wally

Reaction score
You don't believe in freedumb?
These businesses are people in the eyes of court and they have freedom. Funny thing its Republican courts and their decisions that are the backbone of what gives them this power.

Thats the bitch about making corporations people, I have never agreed with it, the Right loves it until it bites them.

forever a gopher

Reaction score
I do chuckle at all the grandstanding by lefties about FB/Twitter/etc. Of course, they're banning people you disagree with, so you can puff your "free market" chest out and claim nothing is wrong. Certainly, the social media empires can do as they choose- I think few are arguing this. But that doesn't put them above criticism. Honestly, I think it's incredibly shitty they are censoring and banning anybody, right, left, or otherwise. It is an incredibly slippery slope when you start censoring people. I completely agree with their rights to ban/censor people. But I'm also going to call them out and not support them (not that I'm on any social media, so it's not like I'm their target market). And give a token warning that this road leads to somewhere that either ends in a very bland, censored place (think Wal-mart and their selling of only censored CD's back when they were a thing), or more likely, just another outlet that is approved by and curated by the DNC. I am certainly on the right side of the spectrum, but that doesn't mean I want my media pushed through those politicians and those that closely support them.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
The Left isn't pumping our chests out. We're pointing out the hypocrisy of The Right.

The Right constantly brays on and on about, "All praise the free, unfettered marketplace! Down with all forms of Big Brother/Big Government regulation and boooo to any interference with the absolute rights of business owners to make decisions for their own businesses!"

Then, suddenly, that same free, unfettered market bites a few Righties in the ass, and they all scream piteously, "Why? Why?"

RememberMurray

Reaction score
I do chuckle at all the grandstanding by lefties about FB/Twitter/etc. Of course, they're banning people you disagree with, so you can puff your "free market" chest out and claim nothing is wrong. Certainly, the social media empires can do as they choose- I think few are arguing this. But that doesn't put them above criticism. Honestly, I think it's incredibly shitty they are censoring and banning anybody, right, left, or otherwise. It is an incredibly slippery slope when you start censoring people. I completely agree with their rights to ban/censor people. But I'm also going to call them out and not support them (not that I'm on any social media, so it's not like I'm their target market). And give a token warning that this road leads to somewhere that either ends in a very bland, censored place (think Wal-mart and their selling of only censored CD's back when they were a thing), or more likely, just another outlet that is approved by and curated by the DNC. I am certainly on the right side of the spectrum, but that doesn't mean I want my media pushed through those politicians and those that closely support them.
Huh???????????????

Politicians aren't doing any censoring here. The people who run businesses are simply making decisions that they feel are in the best interests of their businesses. They are booting people off of their platforms for their own reasons. And in an unfettered, non-regulated free market, they have every right to do so; just ask any libertarian.

The Left didn't boot Trump off of Twitter; TWITTER booted Trump off of Twitter. Take it up with them.

Last edited:

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
I have no issues with these businesses banning people who violate their terms and conditions.

What reason does a business have to ban someone who didn’t do anything wrong? And why would anyone be ok with that?

Section2

Reaction score
I have no issues with these businesses banning people who violate their terms and conditions.

What reason does a business have to ban someone who didn’t do anything wrong? And why would anyone be ok with that?
Progressives, who viscerally oppose the free market, of course don’t understand it.
FB and twitter are free to run their business and ban whoever they want.
Complaining about those decisions to push them to amend their policies? Also part of a free market. If your complaints or demands are not heard, take your business elsewhere.
Not hypocrisy. Hypocrisy would be using government force to get them to change.

I’m guessing FB which is populated heavily by boomers, sees their future as aligned with younger progressives. It’s a risky strategy for sure. Are boomers and facebook users so addicted that they will take it and not abandon the site? People forget how new these social media companies are. They aren’t monopolies. Competitors can and will emerge. Their only chance at monopoly is government. Don’t give it to them for expediency.

Wally

Reaction score
I do chuckle at all the grandstanding by lefties about FB/Twitter/etc.
Don't you get that's it's Republican policies that allow them to do this, to me that's whats so funny.

I have always tended towards maximum freedom. Although I am not sure society can survive it in the age of social media. People are idiots susceptible to easy manipulation.

forever a gopher

Reaction score
Don't you get that's it's Republican policies that allow them to do this, to me that's whats so funny.

I have always tended towards maximum freedom. Although I am not sure society can survive it in the age of social media. People are idiots susceptible to easy manipulation.
I'm not advocating that they shouldn't have the right. My comment was that noting the hypocrisy of all the libs now in the "free market" camp.

Of course, if I was running one of these, I'd let everything be fair game. It's the internet- it was born as a wild west, just let it be. The second it becomes censored and curated is the second it becomes not very interesting.

Wally

Reaction score
I love maximal freedom, I was extremely active on a message board that pushed to the limits and ended up going away due to the risks associated with FISA. It was moderated and didn't allow violence or bs like that tho. But it did discuss highly illegal activities.

Section2

Reaction score
I love maximal freedom, I was extremely active on a message board that pushed to the limits and ended up going away due to the risks associated with FISA. It was moderated and didn't allow violence or bs like that tho. But it did discuss highly illegal activities.
Why do you call it freedumb?

golf

Reaction score
Still amazes me that some posters held that we have an unbiased press. At least that assertion has been laid to rest. Looks like we are now to the point where conservatives need to build their own when they are denied. Sad that we have gotten to this place and hopefully conservatives are willing to do the work necessary to maintain a presence in the marketplace.

Top Bottom