RIP Internal Combustion Engine - General Motors to go all-electric by 2035 and carbon-neutral by 2040

MennoSota

Reaction score
Yes particulate pollution artificially cools the earth, which means as we go to ever cleaner technologies and get rid of fossil fuels there will be additional jump due to clearer air.

Soon the morons will be saying particulate pollution is good....
So if there were no humans the earth would be even warmer. Got it.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Gotta love what those communists say. Plus that’s only carbon neutral, is that enough to stop the world from dying. Their agreement in the Paris climate accord says they hope to PEAK carbon emissions by 2030. So by their own admissions for the next 9 years their carbon output will continue to increase. As of 2018 China was responsible for just under half the total worlds output.
Carbon neutral means they would be emitting zero carbon net. Either zero emissions period, or they offset all emissions by removal.

They have to start somewhere, and it will be a long road to travel. But at least they are starting down the path. Have to admire that, and hope that the US will follow.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Earth heats up due to pandemics cleaner air...
That’s due to less soot and sulfate particles from car exhaust and burning coal, which normally cool the atmosphere temporarily by reflecting the sun’s heat.

Also:
“Clean air warms the planet a tiny bit, but it kills a lot fewer people with air pollution,” Gettelman said.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
What else can I do. I have not been on a plane in years, I turn off lights when not in use, my HVAC system is energy efficient. I am pretty sure my daily habits hardly have any impact on the environment. And if you think I’m gonna start walking 4 miles to work everyday there and back then you have another thing coming.
I think you're just fine. This type of behavior isn't the issue.

And unlike John Kerry I can’t afford a private plane to Iceland to accept an award for my environmental work.
If he convinces countries to implement stricter environmental policies, on his private plan trips, then it was overall worth it.

MennoSota

Reaction score
That’s due to less soot and sulfate particles from car exhaust and burning coal, which normally cool the atmosphere temporarily by reflecting the sun’s heat.

Also:
“Clean air warms the planet a tiny bit, but it kills a lot fewer people with air pollution,” Gettelman said.
Do you want more than 8 billion humans?

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
I think you're just fine. This type of behavior isn't the issue.

If he convinces countries to implement stricter environmental policies, on his private plan trips, then it was overall worth it.
Who’s behavior is going to be effected by these legislative rules. It’s not like the power company is going to absorb the cost creating the power. Gas companies won’t absorb the additional cost of producing the gas. Car companies won’t absorb the additional costs of producing the cars. Each step along the way that prices is handed down to the consumer and items cost more to buy.

plus what happens if the US promises billions in money to these different entities and income taxes are raised to support ever in creaky budgets.

Long story short while my behavior is not being punished it is being punished through hovers prices and taxes.

Pick up a phone.

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Who’s behavior is going to be effected by these legislative rules. It’s not like the power company is going to absorb the cost creating the power. Gas companies won’t absorb the additional cost of producing the gas. Car companies won’t absorb the additional costs of producing the cars. Each step along the way that prices is handed down to the consumer and items cost more to buy.
Well, for example, car companies are making electric vehicles. People just need to get places. If an electric vehicle can get it done for them, and possibly at a lower total cost of ownership, then Bob's your uncle.

Wally

Reaction score

plus what happens if the US promises billions in money to these different entities and income taxes are raised to support ever in creaky budgets.

Long story short while my behavior is not being punished it is being punished through hovers prices and taxes.

Pick up a phone.
Refundable Carbon tax, if your as good as you say you will get paid for it.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
The Gordian knot:

-population growth cancelling out green technology
-redistribution of wealth ->increasing affluence -> increasing carbon footprint
-emerging and developing industrial countries DGAF about your Paris and Kyoto machinations

If you calculate solutions to these intractable problems - high world birth rate, numerous joyful polluters, unrealistic green tech, economic equality and advancement give yourself a pat on the back. Most of us will stick our finger in the dike and congratulate ourselves for “doing something”.

Wally

Reaction score
The Gordian knot:

-emerging and developing industrial countries DGAF about your Paris and Kyoto machinations

If you calculate solutions to these intractable problems - high world birth rate, numerous joyful polluters, unrealistic green tech, economic equality and advancement give yourself a pat on the back. Most of us will stick our finger in the dike and congratulate ourselves for “doing something”.
Las Vegas.......

MplsGopher

Reaction score
The Gordian knot:

What high birth rate? The birth rate has been slowing down considerably, as women gain more education. See in particular (through around 5min-ish mark):
(through 2010 data)

And that's a good thing, frankly. Humans don't need to grow their numbers any larger than they are today. Probably would be better to shrink them a bit, to be honest.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
What high birth rate? The birth rate has been slowing down considerably, as women gain more education. See in particular (through around 5min-ish mark):
(through 2010 data)

And that's a good thing, frankly. Humans don't need to grow their numbers any larger than they are today. Probably would be better to shrink them a bit, to be honest.
The global birth rate is still significantly above replacement rate. Of course, even if undeveloped and/or theocratically-inclined nations embrace western ideals and contraception falling population levels and increasing longevity lead to other economic issues.

All the various solutions are pretty fascinating, but we are mostly ignoring the simplest one probably because it’s the most difficult to enforce - and leads to other problems.

There is a reason dystopian novels and films are so intriguing.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Of course, even if undeveloped and/or theocratically-inclined nations embrace western ideals and contraception
Would encourage you to actually watch the video, through around 5:30 or so at least. It will show that your idea here (bolded) is incorrect. Religion is largely irrelevent to birth rate decline.

When women gain education, simply, they choose to have less babies per woman. Great thing, IMO.

falling population levels and increasing longevity lead to other economic issues.
Probably true, but then not a barrier to the success of green technology, as it seemed you were implying earlier.

I doubt you're rooting against the success of green energy technology. Would be good for you to confirm that, though.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
And that seems to be the overall thing: if they're functionally equivalent, then there doesn't seem to be any reason possible for someone to root against electric ground (and air!) vehicles, solar power, and creative, non-polluting, new energy storage methods.

I can't see how anyone would prefer pollution.

Unless, it's solely because you hate government, and you view these technologies as being forced upon us by government? Seems like not a sane position to take, but I'm just throwing out a wild guess.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Would encourage you to actually watch the video, through around 5:30 or so at least. It will show that your idea here (bolded) is incorrect. Religion is largely irrelevent to birth rate decline.

When women gain education, simply, they choose to have less babies per woman. Great thing, IMO.

Probably true, but then not a barrier to the success of green technology, as it seemed you were implying earlier.

I doubt you're rooting against the success of green energy technology. Would be good for you to confirm that, though.
What is single biggest impediment to feminism?

Not against green tech, but this is a tremendously difficult problem without easy answers when we’re not all rowing in the same direction (like pandemic) It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to mitigate harm.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Increases in income and education have an inverse affect on birth rate
If we want to maintain our standard of living we need to have a what next plan.
The point at which fossil fuels will be ditched is unknown. But it will happen as extraction costs eventually become a drag on the economy.
Why it is sacrilege to investigate options that keep our standard of living is beyond me.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
And as income and education rises carbon footprint will increase. These are competing interests. This can be mitigated on the margins and net zero is feasible with world-wide buy-in (thats the trick) but even if that’s achieved which is no sure thing then on to the next problem which is how to get rid of the carbon already released and sure to be released over the next 40-50 years. Plant billions of acres of trees? Carbon sequestration? Adding bike lanes, zones, outlawing suburban dumbasses from driving Ram 350s like sports cars ain’t going to cut it (the last one would help).

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
It's brutally cold and it's going to remain that way for at least the next two weeks. With this weather we are only able to generate less than 5% of our electrical demand in MISO via renewable energy.

80% of our electricity is coming from coal and natural gas, and a little over 15% via nuclear.

How do people propose we are going to prevent people from freezing to death when we're forced to rely on 100% renewable energy?

Last edited:

BarnBurner

Reaction score
It's brutally cold and it's going to remain that way for at least the next two weeks. With this weather we are only able to generate less than 5% of our electrical demand in MISO via renewable energy.

80% our electricity is coming from coal and natural gas, and a little over 15% via nuclear.

How do people propose we are going to prevent people from freezing to death when we're forced to rely on 100% renewable energy?

Just ask st Pauli d shill.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Ho
Increases in income and education have an inverse affect on birth rate
If we want to maintain our standard of living we need to have a what next plan.
The point at which fossil fuels will be ditched is unknown. But it will happen as extraction costs eventually become a drag on the economy.
Why it is sacrilege to investigate options that keep our standard of living is beyond me.
[/QUOTE
How about you provide all the subsidies for this clean energy? Been involved in a number of solar projects. All of them require subsidies. All of them.

Top Bottom