RIP Internal Combustion Engine - General Motors to go all-electric by 2035 and carbon-neutral by 2040

GoodasGold

Reaction score
All these fancy carbon fiber bicycles on the road now can’t be very Good for the environment.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
All these fancy carbon fiber bicycles on the road now can’t be very Good for the environment.
Right? They ought to just scoop up all that carbon in the atmosphere and make diamonds out of it!

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
back to the OP -
If the auto industry is committed to going electric, then car-charging stations are going to have to be created on a massive scale.

The question - who pays for them?

Also have to take urban vs rural into account. if you live in a metro area, it's a relatively simple matter to charge up your electric car for your daily commute.

If you live in a rural area, where you often have to drive greater distances for work, shopping, whatever, then there will be a need for a whole butt-load of new charging stations. Also makes a big difference whether they are the quick-charging type or the slower-charging type. If I'm driving up to the Cities, I don't want to stop and wait for 30 minutes while my car charges up in the parking lot of a Kwik Trip.

OldBob53

Reaction score
Coal, lots of it, stands ready to meet America's energy needs, including vehicular transportation. Black, beautiful coal delved from deep down!!

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
Perhaps you have some kind of source for your claim that makes it a fact instead of an assertion.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
I’m off to out of focus memes dot com and I will own you.

John Galt

Reaction score
back to the OP -
If the auto industry is committed to going electric, then car-charging stations are going to have to be created on a massive scale.

Also have to take urban vs rural into account. if you live in a metro area, it's a relatively simple matter to charge up your electric car for your daily commute.

If you live in a rural area, where you often have to drive greater distances for work, shopping, whatever, then there will be a need for a whole butt-load of new charging stations. Also makes a big difference whether they are the quick-charging type or the slower-charging type. If I'm driving up to the Cities, I don't want to stop and wait for 30 minutes while my car charges up in the parking lot of a Kwik Trip.
SON- the people making these decisions mandating what energy we can use don’t give a sh$t about your small rural town. They could never even find it on a map.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
back to the OP -

If Kwik Trip wants to stay relevant, they'll have ultra-fast electric charging stations that bill by the kWh transferred. Probably still takes longer (say 30mins charging to drive another 3-4 hrs), so that's more time in the store shopping.

Auto companies didn't build out the network of gas stations we have now.

fan of Ray Williams

Reaction score
If Kwik Trip wants to stay relevant, they'll have ultra-fast electric charging stations that bill by the kWh transferred. Probably still takes longer (say 30mins charging to drive another 3-4 hrs), so that's more time in the store shopping.

Auto companies didn't build out the network of gas stations we have now.
Also, batteries are improving constantly. Thought Lucid claims their battery can do 500 miles. 90% of the charging will probably be at home also.

517 miles

The upcoming 2021 Lucid Air EV has a battery capacity of 113.0 kWh and a range as high as 517 miles, the company has announced.

MennoSota

Reaction score
Where is your meme for the poor subsistence farmers around the world who are losing the ability to grow their crops due to global warming?

Which situation is less fair?
Where is your documentation about this and how has the government overstep of that country caused the problem?

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Where is your documentation about this and how has the government overstep of that country caused the problem?
I'm too lazy to Google search it. I know it's happening, I've seen plenty on it. Coffee growers in South America is a great example, of the top of my head.

Their government can't prevent global warming. So your last part doesn't make sense.

howeda7

Reaction score
Probably not but what I won’t do is wish for your death, say you’re a waste of a human life or declare war on you. I’ll leave that for your side.
Your "side" just tried to overthrow the government. Lame attempt to play victim. No one wishes you dead.

scools12

Reaction score
Your "side" just tried to overthrow the government. Lame attempt to play victim. No one wishes you dead.
Not playing anything Lyin’ Howie. Just stating the sentiments your side has.

Which are sentiments you agree with. Isn’t that right Lyin’ Howie?

MennoSota

Reaction score
I'm too lazy to Google search it. I know it's happening, I've seen plenty on it. Coffee growers in South America is a great example, of the top of my head.

Their government can't prevent global warming. So your last part doesn't make sense.
Grow something else. Farmers all around the world make changes when weather patterns change. We humans are, if nothing else, capable of adapting and innovating.
The earth has never lived in stasis. It is always changing and evolving. It is incredibly arrogant to think that humans can stop change from taking place.
Now, move to China and protest pollution if you wish. They are the worst offenders.

It is time for Asia to reduce their carbon emissions and pay for it themselves.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Grow something else.
In the coffee case, there is no such thing. It was the perfect conditions to grow coffee beans, on the side of a mountain. Needs the right temps, the right soil, the right amount of shade. Don't think a ton else (as far as things that can be sold) does there.

"Then it's their fault for picking a crop that is so specialized!" Coffee?? That's specialized? Hardly anyone drinks that stuff?

The earth has never lived in stasis. It is always changing and evolving. It is incredibly arrogant to think that humans can stop change from taking place.
No one is talking about zero change. The talk is about returning the Earth to its natural temperature range.

This link is an incredible visual (not going to post it, because of how large it is): https://xkcd.com/1732/

Now, move to China and protest pollution if you wish. They are the worst offenders.

I'm not even sure if China is the largest in carbon output. That might be true. But they're already committed to going carbon neutral. They don't want to use carbon energy. It's dirty. And it's old technology.

Why are we paying for them to reduce their own carbon? We aren't, as far as I know. They're paying for their own reductions.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Grow something else. Farmers all around the world make changes when weather patterns change. We humans are, if nothing else, capable of adapting and innovating.

Why would they do that when you have Howie and the Jam Jam Clan that advocate for the USA taxpayer to pay for it?

MennoSota

Reaction score
In the coffee case, there is no such thing. It was the perfect conditions to grow coffee beans, on the side of a mountain. Needs the right temps, the right soil, the right amount of shade. Don't think a ton else (as far as things that can be sold) does there.

"Then it's their fault for picking a crop that is so specialized!" Coffee?? That's specialized? Hardly anyone drinks that stuff?

No one is talking about zero change. The talk is about returning the Earth to its natural temperature range.

This link is an incredible visual (not going to post it, because of how large it is): https://xkcd.com/1732/

I'm not even sure if China is the largest in carbon output. That might be true. But they're already committed to going carbon neutral. They don't want to use carbon energy. It's dirty. And it's old technology.

Why are we paying for them to reduce their own carbon? We aren't, as far as I know. They're paying for their own reductions.
The earth has been much warmer than it is today. It has also been much colder. This was all before humans ever populated the planet. Therefore, nature will continue to make changes and neither you nor I can do anything about it. But, tell your private jet flying Democrats to stop polluting the air and start walking to their climate change summits. That's a good place to start.

GFBfan

Reaction score

How ironic.
Farmers must change what they grow, but we can't change what we drive or how that vehicle is powered?
You even state that humans can't stop changing, yet you don't want to change from gas to something else?

Top Bottom