RIP Internal Combustion Engine - General Motors to go all-electric by 2035 and carbon-neutral by 2040

scools12

Reaction score
And yet the Climate Czar John Kerry rides around in a private plane that burns 40 times more carbon than a commercial flight. Yes, John Kerry is the Climate Czar the world needs.

GopherJake

Reaction score
And yet the Climate Czar John Kerry rides around in a private plane that burns 40 times more carbon than a commercial flight. Yes, John Kerry is the Climate Czar the world needs.
Why does a private plane burn 40 times more carbon than a - presumably much larger plane - commercial flight?

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
I hope it works out. I also hope that more nuclear power plants are built as I don’t think the us energy supply can live off of solar, wind, and water power.

Section2

Reaction score
My answer would be natural gas powered cars. You can build a hook up in your house. Clean burning, abundant energy. Trucking industry should have moved to LNG already.

forever a gopher

Reaction score
There are logistical, distribution and other issues with any fuel source for powering motor vehicles. I don't think we should rule anything out. If you begin with the end in mind, hydrogen is the most attractive energy source in terms of cleanness and renewability. Electrical power needs to be generated in some way, and that's not always very clean itself.

I've been saying for decades that we need a Manhattan Project to fully investigate and develop hydrogen fuel for motor vehicles. I'm standing by that.
Hydrogen has been around for a while, but the problem is only a few manufacturers have tried to advance the technology in automobiles. Honda is one of them. However, they have not spent nearly as much as others in getting in the electric game. They have recently contracted with GM for GM to produce a number of electrics for them in the US using their soon to be released Ultium batteries. There is only so much R&D dollars to go around, and with all the government incentives that favor electrics, it's only a matter of time until hydrogen fully goes away. GM had a hydrogen program back in the 90's and 00's, but I don't think much is happening with it. They have some vehicles that are used for fleet purposes that use it, but not many.

Hydrogen most closely mimics the system we use today, so it seems to make sense. Plus, it burns clean. Plus you can refill a tank in a short order of time, just like dino-juice. There are obviously kinks that need to be worked out, but IMO way less than the massive problem of battery and electricity issues with electric cars. If the amount of money being spent on electrics and battery tech was put into hydrogen, I think it would surpass the viability of electrics pretty quick. But it's not nearly as "sexy" as electric vehicles.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
My answer would be natural gas powered cars. You can build a hook up in your house. Clean burning, abundant energy. Trucking industry should have moved to LNG already.
Not a bad idea

howeda7

Reaction score
40 x eh? Let's see your math on that one, skippy.

scools12

Reaction score
I'm sure you did.
It’s not my math Lyin’ Howie it’s the scientists math. Actually it’s Honeywell Aerospace’s math. If you have a problem with the scientists Lyin’ Howie take it up with them.

GopherJake

Reaction score
It’s not my math Lyin’ Howie it’s the scientists math. Actually it’s Honeywell Aerospace’s math. If you have a problem with the scientists Lyin’ Howie take it up with them.
Let's see that math there, Chief.

scools12

Reaction score
Let's see that math there, Chief.
What part of it’s not my math don’t you understand dimwit?

You and Lyin’ Howie can look it up for yourselves and take your it doesn’t fit our agenda narrative up with the scientists at Honeywell Aerospace.

GopherJake

Reaction score

You and Lyin’ Howie can look it up for yourselves and take your it doesn’t fit our agenda narrative up with the scientists at Honeywell Aerospace.
So you have no citation? That's pretty obvious, because, as you stated it above, it makes absolutely zero sense.

scools12

Reaction score
So you have no citation? That's pretty obvious, because, as you stated it above, it makes absolutely zero sense.
There is a citation but I don’t have to provide anything to you. You don’t like it too bad. Look it up yourself.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Why does a private plane burn 40 times more carbon than a - presumably much larger plane - commercial flight?
I'm guessing he saw something about the carbon emissions -- per person. Wild guess. Otherwise, as you say, it would make no sense that a heavier plane with larger engines would emit less carbon than a lighter plane with smaller engines.

GopherJake

Reaction score
There is a citation but I don’t have to provide anything to you. You don’t like it too bad. Look it up yourself.
Right. You're lying. Or your reading comprehension sucks. Or your writing sucks which conveyed the information you read, but didn't understand and then lied about. Yeah, that's it.

Stop trying so hard.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
I hope it works out. I also hope that more nuclear power plants are built as I don’t think the us energy supply can live off of solar, wind, and water power.
I think you're underestimating the power of solar. Literally power, as in the instantaneous rate of energy flow, at this moment. It's really energy, of course, that is important. So storing that power, over time, as energy, is the trick.

At fixed locations (ie, not a moving vehicle), some interesting ideas for various essentially mechanical batteries have been proposed. Like harnessing the potential energy from gravity of very large stones, moving up and down.

scools12

Reaction score
Right. You're lying. Or your reading comprehension sucks. Or your writing sucks which conveyed the information you read, but didn't understand and then lied about. Yeah, that's it.

Stop trying so hard.
Cool story bro 😎

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Trucking industry should have moved to LNG already.
Are you betting against Tesla, then? Seems they're not that many years away from not only battery electric big rigs, but which can drive autonomously (at least on freeway). I think truckers already know this day is coming ... trying to make as much money while they can (which is very good, I hear).

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Hydrogen has been around for a while, but the problem is only a few manufacturers have tried to advance the technology in automobiles. Honda is one of them. However, they have not spent nearly as much as others in getting in the electric game. They have recently contracted with GM for GM to produce a number of electrics for them in the US using their soon to be released Ultium batteries. There is only so much R&D dollars to go around, and with all the government incentives that favor electrics, it's only a matter of time until hydrogen fully goes away. GM had a hydrogen program back in the 90's and 00's, but I don't think much is happening with it. They have some vehicles that are used for fleet purposes that use it, but not many.

Hydrogen most closely mimics the system we use today, so it seems to make sense. Plus, it burns clean. Plus you can refill a tank in a short order of time, just like dino-juice. There are obviously kinks that need to be worked out, but IMO way less than the massive problem of battery and electricity issues with electric cars. If the amount of money being spent on electrics and battery tech was put into hydrogen, I think it would surpass the viability of electrics pretty quick. But it's not nearly as "sexy" as electric vehicles.
I don't think any vehicles burned hydrogen? Can that even be combusted, with a high energy output? Probably, I just don't know.

Hydrogen can be combined with oxygen to create water + electricity, and the electricity then used to power an electric motor to drive the car. That is what I thought the hydrogen vehicles were doing, but could be wrong.

Go4Broke

Reaction score

The only people who give a shit that people fly around in their private carbon guzzling airplanes are left wing Climate Change Chicken Littles and Right Wing Morons who are losing the climate change debate and are desperately grabbing onto any half-ass argument they can think of.

Last edited:

forever a gopher

Reaction score
I don't think any vehicles burned hydrogen? Can that even be combusted, with a high energy output? Probably, I just don't know.

Hydrogen can be combined with oxygen to create water + electricity, and the electricity then used to power an electric motor to drive the car. That is what I thought the hydrogen vehicles were doing, but could be wrong.
That is correct, that is how they work. They're not burning hydrogen. Only water vapor comes out of the tailpipe.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Not sure how good the technology is but Schwann’s has been running on propane for many years. Ford already makes those. Why has something like that not be brought to market for individual consumers.

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score

scools12

Reaction score
The only people in the world who give a shit that people fly around in their private carbon guzzling airplanes are left wing Climate Change Chicken Littles and right wing morons who are losing the climate change debate and are desperately clutching onto any half-ass argument they can think of. Private airplanes take people where they want to go, when they want to go, and how fast they want to go.
What reasonable person can be against that?
I am not against people flying around in their carbon guzzling private airplanes. I don’t care how they get around.

Top Bottom