I'd like to see him pick himself.

Terry Ryan?
Blair Walsh?

GoodasGold

Reaction score
He'll skewer the Twins org fo sho! I think:confused:

Stan

Reaction score
Agreed with the Walsh and Ryan picks. I'll also throw out Spielman.

howeda7

Reaction score
At least one of Terry Ryan, Dave St. Peter or Jim Pohlad. Possibly all 3.

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Who gives a **** about that hack.

Good material 40 years ago when he was ahead of the curve bitching about underachievers. Truly a new way of writing. I looked forward to going to my cousins to read that on Thanksgiving (we didn't get the St. Paul Paper). Today, this is the pablum that is spewed on ESPN, KFAN and every other outlet on a minute by minute basis.

Now it just looks lazy.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Shama chimes in:

Just an outsider looking in, but I can’t help anticipating Patrick Reusse’s announcement tomorrow of his Turkey of the Year. The Star Tribune columnist has made his TOY coronation a Thanksgiving tradition for decades by selecting and writing about a prominent Minnesota sports figure that experienced a dismal 12 months.

Reusse and his “committee” must be feverishly sorting through finalists on Thanksgiving Eve. Here on the prairie there are never any shortages of candidates from the professional teams and University of Minnesota. Perhaps compounding the selection process this year is the late entry of Blair Walsh, the woe-begone placekicker who made a matinee thriller out of extra points and was released by the Vikings last week.

It will also be hard to ignore the Twins who lost a franchise record 103 games last season. I could see the TOY gang arguing over whether to bestow the honor on former general manager Terry Ryan, or take a more inclusive approach by naming the entire baseball department.

Joe Mauer could be in contention too after earning $23 million and hitting just .261, with 11 home runs and 49 RBI. Another likely contender is Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino who lost a school record 16 Big Ten games in 2015-2016.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Reaction score
Lochte certainly has taken turkey-dom to a new, unforeseen level with his antics. Pat used to award national figures, and maybe now's the time for him to go national again.

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Pat was critical of Trump and his supporters. I think he goes non-sports and picks either Trump, or American voters.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
It needs to be something Twins related. They went from missing the playoffs by 3 games to losing 103 games. It probably won't happen though because Ruesse doesn't like to rip on his beloved Twins.

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
Reusse has surprised most everyone the last couple years. I would be very surprised if he picked something as simple as the Twins.

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Head Table:

Lochte
Goddell (a permanent fixture)
Ryan
Both Wilf's (a semi-permanent fixture)
Pec (just for always being hurt)
Mauer (because $23 million)

The winner:

Blair Walsh

Section2

Reaction score
Always seems to go outside the box. My pick would be Zimmer, since everyone has seemed to love him. Patrick, don't venture into national politics.

Mulligan

Reaction score
Given his girth, he ain't going to last long enough where he achieves Sid Status--someone who should be shown the door because it's just painfully obvious he has nothing left. But this act is starting to get old. Used to look forward to this column, but the last few years just glance at the end and shrug.

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
A worthy choice, as painful as it may be.

It is much better than death.

bigticket1

Reaction score
Given his girth, he ain't going to last long enough where he achieves Sid Status--someone who should be shown the door because it's just painfully obvious he has nothing left. But this act is starting to get old. Used to look forward to this column, but the last few years just glance at the end and shrug.
Hopefully he will self-award it to himself in the near future before he goes to that big buffet line in the sky.

GopherJake

Reaction score
For those that want to actually read the colum..

http://www.startribune.com/patrick-...selection-it-s-go-bigly-or-go-home/402813536/

Did you hear the one about the guy that went around telling everyone the ending to all the movies?
This thread was appropriately titled so you should have avoided. Bleed, on the b-ball board, needs to be smacked upside the head.

Good choice on the award. Well-deserved. Those here that don't agree, or are even physically angry, take off the rose-colored glasses.

Better days are ahead, I believe. But the department needs to commit to greatness everyday. Athletic village is a good start, but it's not like we're ahead of the curve on that one.

howeda7

Reaction score
The Gophers are not undeserving. Worst basketball season ever. Wrestling fiasco. Still think Pohlad or St. Peter deserved it more though.

Top Bottom