Return to Sports - Public Perception

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Was listening to a podcast the other day and heard something interesting. They discussed the results of two different online polls from two completely different sources.

The results: between 60-75% of those responding believe that the sports media is actively rooting for sports to not return or to fail in their return.

Welcome to 2020?

justthefacts

Reaction score
Was listening to a podcast the other day and heard something interesting. They discussed the results of two different online polls from two completely different sources.

The results: between 60-75% of those responding believe that the sports media is actively rooting for sports to not return or to fail in their return.

Welcome to 2020?
Yeah, it makes perfect sense. Everyone wants the industry in which they work to lose hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Yeah, it makes perfect sense. Everyone wants the industry in which they work to lose hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue.
Exactly. Hence the term, public perception. Why has such a majority formed this perception? Out of thin air?

It's out there and it's real; there's certainly a portion of the population (evidenced on the board here even) that sure seem to want the country to fail right now, and yes, even with the sports media.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
If we stop all sports, then all the ESPNs, college networks, and so forth can go out of business.

Think of the money we'd save on our cable bills!

GopherJake

Reaction score
Exactly. Hence the term, public perception. Why has such a majority formed this perception? Out of thin air?

It's out there and it's real; there's certainly a portion of the population (evidenced on the board here even) that sure seem to want the country to fail right now, and yes, even with the sports media.
Weak troll.

cjbfbp

Reaction score

Welcome to 2020?
I have no idea but I can't see why the sports media wouldn't prefer to have live sports going on. I rarely listen or watch any sports media personalities; occasionally I will read an article by one. I like to watch sports, not watch or listen to people "talking about sports."

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
The media is its very own brand of radical and wants drama, so much so that a lot of it seems to be even drifting away from partisan politics in order to plainly embrace the generally sensational (evidenced in some of the recent FOX news slant away from/against Trump). Whether reporting on a huge boon or a curse, they tend to proliferate whatever is gonna whip people up into a frenzy. Pretty much just have to pick out what facts you can from the news available and form your own opinions.

Section2

Reaction score
Choose wisely.
depends if you're in a contrarian mood. There are basically two options: 1) the country is in a moral panic about Trump, and it is causing them to wildly overreact on COVID, or 2) they really want Trump to lose
I'd be open to hearing an alternative explanation to cjvfslkjfs question. But it seems pretty clear that the lefties in the media really don't seem to be rooting for sports to come back. And I see that in gophers sports message boards as well. There is a clear political divide on basically everything related to COVID. Self interest doesn't seem to be a concern to anyone in the country at the moment.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Sports media is overwhelmingly liberal, especially ESPN.

Sports fanatics who want sports back, are far more conservative.

COVID has become politicized, thus the disconnect between the two.

Ope3

Reaction score

Welcome to 2020?
I think those 60-75% have poor listening or comprehension skills. I listen to 4-5 hours of sports talks both locally and nationally, pretty much daily while working. While most have been pessimistic about the success, it's based on the realistic difficulties of the task at hand, but they all want sports to make it. It's their livelihood for crying out loud.

How can anyone not objectively looks at what's going on with the Marlins & Cardinals and think, hey it is going to be a tough go for the sports without a "bubble" ?

On the other hand, while most were skeptical that the NBA and NHL could see this through, early results are great. There are very few positive Covid tests and games are taking place, as such the leagues are being lauded. I give both better than 50/50 of crowning a champion, if ever so slightly. Sinking the dough into this is paying off, I heard it's costing the NBA $180 million. Things can change though.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
I think those 60-75% have poor listening or comprehension skills. I listen to 4-5 hours of sports talks both locally and nationally, pretty much daily while working. While most have been pessimistic about the success, it's based on the realistic difficulties of the task at hand, but they all want sports to make it. It's their livelihood for crying out loud.

How can anyone not objectively looks at what's going on with the Marlins & Cardinals and think, hey it is going to be a tough go for the sports without a "bubble" ?

On the other hand, while most were skeptical that the NBA and NHL could see this through, early results are great. There are very few positive Covid tests and games are taking place, as such the leagues are being lauded. I give both better than 50/50 of crowning a champion, if ever so slightly. Sinking the dough into this is paying off, I heard it's costing the NBA $180 million. Things can change though.
That's a drop in the bucket compared to what they make off slavery in China.

GopherJake

Reaction score
The hockey sure doesn't. Two games in for Jets/ Flames and you have fights,injuries and playoff intensity. Get on the bandwagon now, I think the Wild will make a run.
He's not watching. He's trolling. What a waste of a few dozen brain cells.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
The hockey sure doesn't. Two games in for Jets/ Flames and you have fights,injuries and playoff intensity. Get on the bandwagon now, I think the Wild will make a run.
The hockey playoffs, qualifying rounds have been great so far!! Knights storm back last night from a 3-1 deficit to Dallas, some great, great hockey so far! I watched more hockey on Saturday in one day than I have in a long time, and my team wasn't even playing.

It's going to be a great August and September of hockey!

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
The hockey playoffs, qualifying rounds have been great so far!! Knights storm back last night from a 3-1 deficit to Dallas, some great, great hockey so far! I watched more hockey on Saturday in one day than I have in a long time, and my team wasn't even playing.

It's going to be a great August and September of hockey!
I don't think anyone ever thought that August and September would be great months for hockey.

golf

Reaction score
This poll gives me hope that people are paying attention more than the media would like.

Kavanaugh, Smollett, Parkland kids, racer guy all large examples of media bias.

150 prominent liberals signed petition, Bari Weiss, Andrew Sullivan, Bill Maher join the choir of protesting stifled speech and media bias.

People could easily look at the media treatment of trump in general from networks to the large newspapers to white house press corps and draw a conclusion.

I have no idea if sports press are or are not rooting for failure but find it instructive that the public assumes they are. The question then becomes do these people think this media bias is a good thing or a bad thing. If people think it is bad, that is helpful toTrump's cause.

Great thread. Thanks for sharing it.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
The media is not required to function as cheerleaders for pro sports. (not including shills like the FSN crew). And the media has every right to point out issues and concerns with some of the leagues. Pointing out the issues with MLB is not the same as rooting for them to fail. The same media has also reported the success the NHL has had with remaining covid-free.

Top Bottom